Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?

eli

Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?
Hello:

I installed the SP3 for Windows XP this morning. the process didnt go smoothly at all. I had to cancel it twice. It finally installed. The was a cmd prompt after the installation completed rebootstating "access denied!!!". But after this all went smooth.

The Windows Update site shows it was installed. windows xP Service Pack 3 also shows as installed in the Control Panel. However, the icon next to this entry in the Add/Remove program is that of Windows Media Player, and not what one might expect in the way of icons for a Windows update.

The earlier windows updates are no longer showing in the Control Panel. I assume that's becuase the SP3 has replced them.

Can you tell me if there is some simple user-friendly program such as a file check I can run to verify if SP 3 is correctly installed?

I'm concerend given the difficulties during this mornnig's installation procedure and that Windows Media Player icon in the Control Panel next to Windows XP SP3.

Thanks in advance:

-Eli
=================

Windows XP Professional Edition SP 3
Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.470.000
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?
Click Start > Run > type in the below into the Open: line and then click
OK or press Enter

winver

the 'About Windows ' window is now open
Post *exactly* what is listed after 'Version'

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

eli wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I installed the SP3 for Windows XP this morning. the process didnt go
> smoothly at all. I had to cancel it twice. It finally installed. The was
> a cmd prompt after the installation completed rebootstating "access
> denied!!!". But after this all went smooth.
>
> The Windows Update site shows it was installed. windows xP Service Pack
> 3 also shows as installed in the Control Panel. However, the icon next
> to this entry in the Add/Remove program is that of Windows Media Player,
> and not what one might expect in the way of icons for a Windows update.
>
> The earlier windows updates are no longer showing in the Control Panel.
> I assume that's becuase the SP3 has replced them.
>
> Can you tell me if there is some simple user-friendly program such as a
> file check I can run to verify if SP 3 is correctly installed?
>
> I'm concerend given the difficulties during this mornnig's installation
> procedure and that Windows Media Player icon in the Control Panel next
> to Windows XP SP3.
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> -Eli
> =================
>
> Windows XP Professional Edition SP 3
> Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.470.000

eli

Re: Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-211: Service Pack 3)

-Eli

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message news:ulN9ygIsIHA.5872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Click Start > Run > type in the below into the Open: line and then click
> OK or press Enter
>
> winver
>
> the 'About Windows ' window is now open
> Post *exactly* what is listed after 'Version'
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> eli wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I installed the SP3 for Windows XP this morning. the process didnt go
>> smoothly at all. I had to cancel it twice. It finally installed. The was
>> a cmd prompt after the installation completed rebootstating "access
>> denied!!!". But after this all went smooth.
>>
>> The Windows Update site shows it was installed. windows xP Service Pack
>> 3 also shows as installed in the Control Panel. However, the icon next
>> to this entry in the Add/Remove program is that of Windows Media Player,
>> and not what one might expect in the way of icons for a Windows update.
>>
>> The earlier windows updates are no longer showing in the Control Panel.
>> I assume that's becuase the SP3 has replced them.
>>
>> Can you tell me if there is some simple user-friendly program such as a
>> file check I can run to verify if SP 3 is correctly installed?
>>
>> I'm concerend given the difficulties during this mornnig's installation
>> procedure and that Windows Media Player icon in the Control Panel next
>> to Windows XP SP3.
>>
>> Thanks in advance:
>>
>> -Eli
>> =================
>>
>> Windows XP Professional Edition SP 3
>> Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.470.000

Re: Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?
See Mow's reply.

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

.. US: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131

.. CA: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131

.. UK: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131

.. AU: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131

.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

<IMHO>
Temporarily disable all real-time protections afforded by your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware applications, and any third-party firewall prior to installing SP3. If you disable a third-party firewall, make sure you then enable the Windows Firewall: The machine should not be connected to the internet without an active firewall.

After installing SP3 /and rebooting twice/, check to make sure your real-time protections have been re-enabled; If you disabled a third-party firewall, remember to re-enable it and disable the Windows Firewall.
</IMHO>
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"eli" <nobody@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:%23PlqNQIsIHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Bingo, we have a winner ! ... " You have XP SP3 "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Mow Green writes:

"Bingo, we have a winner ! ... " You have XP SP3 "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]"

==========================

Thanks Mow. However, I remained puzzled as to why the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Update shows in the Control Panel under Add/Remove programs with a Windows Media Player icon next to it?

Is this a common fluke? Or does it suggest some problem?

Thanks again:

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eCu1x%23JsIHA.4840@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Alan

Re: Is there a way to verify if SP3 is properly installed?
Hi eli,

I installed SP3 a couple of days ago without any problems -- well, I did
have a wireless connectivity issue but I think that was related to AVG 8.

Yesterday, I happened to go into my Control Panel and saw that I had two Add
and Remove Program entries. One was the 'normal' icon while the second was a
generic icon. Both icons DID launch Add and Remove.

Just now I checked. I still have two Add and Remove Program entries and NOW
both are the usual Add and Remove icon.

Oh well... :->

Alan

Mow Green writes:

"Bingo, we have a winner ! ... " You have XP SP3 "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]"

==========================

Thanks Mow. However, I remained puzzled as to why the Windows XP Service
Pack 3 Update shows in the Control Panel under Add/Remove programs with a
Windows Media Player icon next to it?

Is this a common fluke? Or does it suggest some problem?

Thanks again:

-Eli

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7.0.470.000

See Mow's reply.

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
"Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

. US:

. CA:

. UK:

. AU: