Windows XP Service Pack 3 Error Code: 0x80070005

K. Becker

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Error Code: 0x80070005
Trying to update this Windows XP SP2 box to SP3. Went to the update web site,
downloaded OK. During installation, had registry access errors (!) on
HKCR\RDSServer.DataFactor.2.8.1 and a couple of related keys. Changed
permissions, tried again. No pop-up errors about the registry this time, but
XP3 update failed again, error code 0x80070005.

Found the comments from people who had similar problems on XP2, with
especial regard to KB873148. Using the info in that KB article, checked
%windir%\svcpack.log and, yep, had DoRegistry falures in there..

So, turned on full debug as described in the article, reran the thing until
it died. Fired up my local text editor (xemacs, what the heck), and went
looking for the failed registry keys in %windir%\setupapi.log.

Only problem - no failed registry keys! Instead, have the following error
messages at the end of the log:

#-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /y
/i:C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysoc.inf
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_common_install] when
calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
required line was not found in the INF.
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_inetmgr_install] when
calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
required line was not found in the INF.
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_pwmgr_install] when
calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
required line was not found in the INF.
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_www_install] when
calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
required line was not found in the INF.
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_doc_install] when
calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
required line was not found in the INF.
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_ftp_install] when
calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
required line was not found in the INF.

OK. I am now at a loss. The other suggestion in KB873148 was to use
secedit.exe and reset the permissions to something better. But this machine
is running XP2 Home, and that doesn't have the program.

What now? Or do I have to wipe this machine and start over? Help, somebody?

K. Becker

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Error Code: 0x80070005
"K. Becker" <KBecker@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Trying to update this Windows XP SP2 box to SP3. Went to the update web site,
> downloaded OK. During installation, had registry access errors (!) on
> HKCR\RDSServer.DataFactor.2.8.1 and a couple of related keys. Changed
> permissions, tried again. No pop-up errors about the registry this time, but
> XP3 update failed again, error code 0x80070005.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/ ->
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/
doesn't help, both of them?

> #-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /y
> /i:C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysoc.inf
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_common_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.

Do you have manipulated the sysoc.inf either manually or by using
e.g. nLite to remove some Windows components?

Bye,
Freudi

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Error Code: 0x80070005
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

K. Becker wrote:
> Trying to update this Windows XP SP2 box to SP3. Went to the update web
> site, downloaded OK. During installation, had registry access errors (!)
> on
> HKCR\RDSServer.DataFactor.2.8.1 and a couple of related keys. Changed
> permissions, tried again. No pop-up errors about the registry this time,
> but
> XP3 update failed again, error code 0x80070005.
>
> Found the comments from people who had similar problems on XP2, with
> especial regard to KB873148. Using the info in that KB article, checked
> %windir%\svcpack.log and, yep, had DoRegistry falures in there..
>
> So, turned on full debug as described in the article, reran the thing
> until
> it died. Fired up my local text editor (xemacs, what the heck), and went
> looking for the failed registry keys in %windir%\setupapi.log.
>
> Only problem - no failed registry keys! Instead, have the following error
> messages at the end of the log:
>
> #-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /y
> /i:C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysoc.inf
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_common_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_inetmgr_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_pwmgr_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_www_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_doc_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.
> #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_ftp_install] when
> calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> required line was not found in the INF.
>
> OK. I am now at a loss. The other suggestion in KB873148 was to use
> secedit.exe and reset the permissions to something better. But this
> machine
> is running XP2 Home, and that doesn't have the program.
>
> What now? Or do I have to wipe this machine and start over? Help,
> somebody?
>
> K. Becker

K. Becker

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "K. Becker" <KBecker@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > Trying to update this Windows XP SP2 box to SP3. Went to the update web site,
> > downloaded OK. During installation, had registry access errors (!) on
> > HKCR\RDSServer.DataFactor.2.8.1 and a couple of related keys. Changed
> > permissions, tried again. No pop-up errors about the registry this time, but
> > XP3 update failed again, error code 0x80070005.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/ ->
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/
> doesn't help, both of them?

Whoops - didn't spot either one of those in my chasing around through the KB
last night. I'll do the full download trick tonight, when I'm back at home.

> > #-198 Command line processed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysocmgr.exe" /y
> > /i:C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysoc.inf
> > #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_common_install] when
> > calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> > required line was not found in the INF.

> Do you have manipulated the sysoc.inf either manually or by using
> e.g. nLite to remove some Windows components?

Nope, at least not wittingly. I haven't heard of nLite, although I have used
various registry cleaners on and off over the years. The machine's a 1 GHz
Pentium IV with 512 MB of ram (maxed out, now), originally came with Windows
ME, got upgraded, and kept up over the years. I think I reformatted and
reinstalled a couple of years ago, not since then. I did swap antivirus from
AVG to McAfee earlier this year, but had it disabled (at least, through
McAfee's menu) during the 4-5 attempts last night.

Try more tonight. The biggest pain is that it takes 30-40 minutes to get to
the failure point; started around 9:30 p.m. and finally quit trying around
1:30 a.m.. Usually I don't have too much of a problem with Windows machines,
or can at least figure out what's going on. This one's odd.

K. Becker

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > required line was not found in the INF.
> > #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_www_install] when
> > calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> > required line was not found in the INF.
> > #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_doc_install] when
> > calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> > required line was not found in the INF.
> > #E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [iis_ftp_install] when
> > calculating disk space in "C:\WINDOWS\INF\iis.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The
> > required line was not found in the INF.
> >
> > OK. I am now at a loss. The other suggestion in KB873148 was to use
> > secedit.exe and reset the permissions to something better. But this
> > machine
> > is running XP2 Home, and that doesn't have the program.
> >
> > What now? Or do I have to wipe this machine and start over? Help,

K. Becker

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Error Code: 0x80070005
OK: Tried it with the full, 300 MB install. Died.
Tried it after removing McAfee security suite. Died.
Tried checking with the free online chat support: 40 minute wait time. Oof.
And it wasn't available last night, late, anyway.
Tried calling the phone line: It referred me back to the web site, no live
bodies. Oof.

Oh, well. Start going through this thing and that thing in the KB. Wish me
luck, guys.

Ken Becker

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Error Code: 0x80070005
Did you open a free support incident?

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d395d472b6acb

K. Becker wrote:
> OK: Tried it with the full, 300 MB install. Died.
> Tried it after removing McAfee security suite. Died.
> Tried checking with the free online chat support: 40 minute wait time.
> Oof.
> And it wasn't available last night, late, anyway.
> Tried calling the phone line: It referred me back to the web site, no live
> bodies. Oof.
>
> Oh, well. Start going through this thing and that thing in the KB. Wish me
> luck, guys.
>
> Ken Becker

K. Becker

"K. Becker" wrote:

> OK: Tried it with the full, 300 MB install. Died.
> Tried it after removing McAfee security suite. Died.
> Tried checking with the free online chat support: 40 minute wait time. Oof.
> And it wasn't available last night, late, anyway.
> Tried calling the phone line: It referred me back to the web site, no live
> bodies. Oof.
>
> Oh, well. Start going through this thing and that thing in the KB. Wish me
> luck, guys.
>
> Ken Becker

OK: Problem solved. Link: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/>, which,
after looking it over, takes one to
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/>, and this one gives you a nice,
tasty, chocolate chip cookie.

Basically, the problem is that permissions in the registry or elsewhere in
%windir% are messed up, or the user attempting to install the XP3 update
doesn't have.. well, quite the permissions that that user thinks they have.
Shades of Unix.

First solution: Try it with the big service pack file, 300 MB. Presumeably
this is because when this guy is run, it's run as administrator. In my case,
no luck.

Second solution: Turn off the antivirus. Apparently some antiviruses do
oddball things to the registry and other places to Keep The Baddies Out. I
went a little further and just uninstalled the thing. Once again, no luck.

Third solution: Download Ye Windows XP Pro permissions list software, paste
together a small .cmd file (.bat - style for old fogies like myself) with a
cut-and-paste from the KB article, and let 'er rip. The impression I get from
watching this program run is watching some guy in big, knee-high boots put
big footprints on the ground and all over the registry and all files in the
Windows directory. It took about 20 minutes to run; when it was done, XP SP3
installed just fine.

Gentlepeople: Thank you for your help.