Odd Windows Update Error Occurring While Using XP SP3 RC2 Refresh

thejynxed

Odd Windows Update Error Occurring While Using XP SP3 RC2 Refresh
Every time I check Windows/Microsoft Update, it claims that I need an update
for Microsoft Office 2007, which isn't even installed on this machine (and
the update fails of course - I tried it out just to see what it did). In
fact, no version of Office or the Office Compatibility Pack, or any Office
file viewers are installed. This issue goes away if I revert back to SP2, and
re-appears if I reinstall the Refresh.

This is more of a bug-report type issue than anything.

Everything else seems to run quite a bit better than XP SP2, did, otherwise.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Odd Windows Update Error Occurring While Using XP SP3 RC2 Refresh
thejynxed wrote:
> Every time I check Windows/Microsoft Update, it claims that I need
> an update for Microsoft Office 2007, which isn't even installed on
> this machine (and the update fails of course - I tried it out just
> to see what it did). In fact, no version of Office or the Office
> Compatibility Pack, or any Office file viewers are installed. This
> issue goes away if I revert back to SP2, and re-appears if I
> reinstall the Refresh.
>
> This is more of a bug-report type issue than anything.
>
> Everything else seems to run quite a bit better than XP SP2, did,
> otherwise.

Good to know.

Uninstall SP3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh and wait the week or so to get the
final SP3 to see if that fixes it. (Also - you might want to post this in
the newsgroup given on the web page where you could get SP2 Release
Candidate 2 Refresh...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> thejynxed wrote:
> > Every time I check Windows/Microsoft Update, it claims that I need
> > an update for Microsoft Office 2007, which isn't even installed on
> > this machine (and the update fails of course - I tried it out just
> > to see what it did). In fact, no version of Office or the Office
> > Compatibility Pack, or any Office file viewers are installed. This
> > issue goes away if I revert back to SP2, and re-appears if I
> > reinstall the Refresh.
> >
> > This is more of a bug-report type issue than anything.
> >
> > Everything else seems to run quite a bit better than XP SP2, did,
> > otherwise.

> Good to know.
>
> Uninstall SP3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh and wait the week or so to get the
> final SP3 to see if that fixes it. (Also - you might want to post this in
> the newsgroup given on the web page where you could get SP2 Release
> Candidate 2 Refresh...)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

They already have -
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...7245&SiteID=17

TaurArian wrote:
> They already have -
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...7245&SiteID=17

Good.

Looks like they did about 22 minutes after their original posting here but
about 52 minutes before I posted a response here. At least the information
is out there now.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP