Re: Windows update in windows 2000 not working?

Dave Patrick

Re: Windows update in windows 2000 not working?
Try asking them here. x-posted to: public.windowsupdate

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mr Ben" wrote:
>I have two servers in my network that I am having a problem patching. I run
> windows update on them, and it comes up with the list of patches that need
> be applied. I say go ahead and it fails on all of them and says it needs a
> restart, so I restart and the same thing happens.
>
> NOTES: 1, the "download size" of the patches is 0kb so apperently during
> one
> attempt or another they were downloaded? If so to where and how can I
> delete
> the information that they downloaded and get those again?
> 2, On one of the servers I decided to manually download and install the
> patches, and that worked except for 4 patches KB941693, KB944338,
> KB945553,
> KB948590. On these 4 patches the patch runs, hits and error that says
> access
> is denied (access to what I do not know) and then it displays a text box
> saying it is cleaning up the patch, then it closes, and then it reboots my
> server, which is really annoying that it doesn't give any sort of warning
> it
> is going to do that.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
>

> --
> Mr Ben

TaurArian

Re: Windows update in windows 2000 not working?
Are you using WSUS?

Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com... date_services

(OE client)

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
| Try asking them here. x-posted to: public.windowsupdate

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

| --
|
| Regards,
|
| Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
| Microsoft Certified Professional
| Microsoft MVP [Windows]
| http://www.microsoft.com/protect
|
| "Mr Ben" wrote:
| >I have two servers in my network that I am having a problem patching. I run
| > windows update on them, and it comes up with the list of patches that need
| > be applied. I say go ahead and it fails on all of them and says it needs a
| > restart, so I restart and the same thing happens.
| >
| > NOTES: 1, the "download size" of the patches is 0kb so apperently during
| > one
| > attempt or another they were downloaded? If so to where and how can I
| > delete
| > the information that they downloaded and get those again?
| > 2, On one of the servers I decided to manually download and install the
| > patches, and that worked except for 4 patches KB941693, KB944338,
| > KB945553,
| > KB948590. On these 4 patches the patch runs, hits and error that says
| > access
| > is denied (access to what I do not know) and then it displays a text box
| > saying it is cleaning up the patch, then it closes, and then it reboots my
| > server, which is really annoying that it doesn't give any sort of warning
| > it
| > is going to do that.
| >
| > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
| >

| > --
| > Mr Ben

Mr Ben

Re: Windows update in windows 2000 not working?
If the problem was confined to windows update I would feel it appropriate
there, but seeing as the problem is somehow linked to the KBs themselves
also, there is more of a problem than just Windows update.
--
Mr Ben

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try asking them here. x-posted to: public.windowsupdate
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>

> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mr Ben" wrote:
> >I have two servers in my network that I am having a problem patching. I run
> > windows update on them, and it comes up with the list of patches that need
> > be applied. I say go ahead and it fails on all of them and says it needs a
> > restart, so I restart and the same thing happens.
> >
> > NOTES: 1, the "download size" of the patches is 0kb so apperently during
> > one
> > attempt or another they were downloaded? If so to where and how can I
> > delete
> > the information that they downloaded and get those again?
> > 2, On one of the servers I decided to manually download and install the
> > patches, and that worked except for 4 patches KB941693, KB944338,
> > KB945553,
> > KB948590. On these 4 patches the patch runs, hits and error that says
> > access
> > is denied (access to what I do not know) and then it displays a text box
> > saying it is cleaning up the patch, then it closes, and then it reboots my
> > server, which is really annoying that it doesn't give any sort of warning
> > it
> > is going to do that.
> >
> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
> >

> > --
> > Mr Ben

Mr Ben

Re: Windows update in windows 2000 not working?
We do not use WSUS so it is still a windows update/windows 2000 issue.
--
Mr Ben

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Are you using WSUS?
>
> Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com... date_services

> (OE client)
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> | Try asking them here. x-posted to: public.windowsupdate
> |

> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
> |

> | --
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> | Microsoft Certified Professional
> | Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> | http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> |
> | "Mr Ben" wrote:
> | >I have two servers in my network that I am having a problem patching. I run
> | > windows update on them, and it comes up with the list of patches that need
> | > be applied. I say go ahead and it fails on all of them and says it needs a
> | > restart, so I restart and the same thing happens.
> | >
> | > NOTES: 1, the "download size" of the patches is 0kb so apperently during
> | > one
> | > attempt or another they were downloaded? If so to where and how can I
> | > delete
> | > the information that they downloaded and get those again?
> | > 2, On one of the servers I decided to manually download and install the
> | > patches, and that worked except for 4 patches KB941693, KB944338,
> | > KB945553,
> | > KB948590. On these 4 patches the patch runs, hits and error that says
> | > access
> | > is denied (access to what I do not know) and then it displays a text box
> | > saying it is cleaning up the patch, then it closes, and then it reboots my
> | > server, which is really annoying that it doesn't give any sort of warning
> | > it
> | > is going to do that.
> | >
> | > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
> | >

> | > --
> | > Mr Ben

Re: Windows update in windows 2000 not working?
[Mr. Ben, please only reply to this thread which will continue the crosspost
to Win2K General. Thanks.]

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable your firewall
temporarily, don't do *anything* else online except attempt to
download/install updates!

=====================

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net