update readiness tool Error 80004002

Arne

update readiness tool Error 80004002
Windows update has stopped working and Vista Serice Pack I install will fail.
After looking through various posts there seem to be instructions for Xp etc.
Is there a specific set of instructions for Vista?

Arne

Re: update readiness tool Error 80004002
I would NOT attempt to install SP1 manually is Windows Update doesn't offer
it!

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
• CA:
• UK:
• AU:
• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

Information about Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb972745.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Arne wrote:
> Windows update has stopped working and Vista Serice Pack I install will
> fail. After looking through various posts there seem to be instructions
> for
> Xp etc. Is there a specific set of instructions for Vista?

Arne

Re: update readiness tool Error 80004002
PA Bear,

I realize that SP1 will eventually be offered via Windows Update.

However, now Windows Update is not working. I have tried net.exe stop
wusaserv and restarting the dll listed in 916259. some of the dll,
wuaueng1.dll and wucltiu.dll (if I remember correctly) would not register.

I actually had some problems with ATI video drivers after the Vista SP1
rolled-back a failed install . And then, when rebooting after a Retrospect
7.5 restore, had a MBR fail to load event. So I reinstalled XP Media Center
(OEM Dell), upgraded to Vista Home Premium followed by Anytime Upgrade to
Ultimate (re-acquired the license). Then used the Retrospect restore to
replace my installed base of programs.

However, Windows Update is not working and I would like to be able to fix
that problem. Otherwise, it will be hours to reinstall all of my programs
again. I have the Vista OS installed in a 40 Gbyte partition to isolate the
OS from files and media stored on the computer. The Documents folder is in a
separate partition as well.

Arne

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I would NOT attempt to install SP1 manually is Windows Update doesn't offer
> it!

Re: update readiness tool Error 80004002
> I actually had some problems with ATI video drivers after the Vista SP1
> rolled-back a failed install . And then, when rebooting after a Retrospect
> 7.5 restore, had a MBR fail to load event. So I reinstalled XP Media
> Center
> (OEM Dell), upgraded to Vista Home Premium followed by Anytime Upgrade to
> Ultimate (re-acquired the license). Then used the Retrospect restore to
> replace my installed base of programs.

Whoa, that's one harrowing tale! I would have opted for the free Vista SP1
Support option when I encountered the ATI video drivers issue. [Speaking of
which, had you ever consulted http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948187?] Sure
sounds like Windows is in a "confused state" (to put it mildly).

The 80004002 error ("No such interface supported") aside, the fact that
Vista SP1 had been installed and is now offered by Windows Update means you
qualify for the free/no-charge/won't-cost-you-a-penny, unlimited
installation and compatibility support that I cited in my first reply.
IMHO, it'd be the best way to resolve the problem, Arne. (Personally, I'd
hesitate to tell them the history you've posted here.)

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
=======================================

Other references include...

This related thread from July 2007:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...97e2c68c21f840

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

Support for Windows Update:

Good luck.
--
~PA Bear

Arne wrote:
> I realize that SP1 will eventually be offered via Windows Update.
>
> However, now Windows Update is not working. I have tried net.exe stop
> wusaserv and restarting the dll listed in 916259. some of the dll,
> wuaueng1.dll and wucltiu.dll (if I remember correctly) would not register.
>
> I actually had some problems with ATI video drivers after the Vista SP1
> rolled-back a failed install . And then, when rebooting after a Retrospect
> 7.5 restore, had a MBR fail to load event. So I reinstalled XP Media
> Center
> (OEM Dell), upgraded to Vista Home Premium followed by Anytime Upgrade to
> Ultimate (re-acquired the license). Then used the Retrospect restore to
> replace my installed base of programs.
>
> However, Windows Update is not working and I would like to be able to fix
> that problem. Otherwise, it will be hours to reinstall all of my programs
> again. I have the Vista OS installed in a 40 Gbyte partition to isolate
> the
> OS from files and media stored on the computer. The Documents folder is in
> separate partition as well.

<paste>