IE7 repair on win xp

kakii

IE7 repair on win xp

In context of my probs while installing the update MS08-022 - 944338
PA Bear has proposed following procedure: see thread "MS08-022 - 944338"
TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windowsupdate:273040.

Some points in this procedure are not clear.

1. Uninstallation of IE7 according to description
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html, the link "dangers discussed here".
In order to avoid system crash after deinstallation, proper sequence is
recommended. That means all IE7 patches newer than IE7 itself must be
uninstalled first. That's a huge work to find out what are these patches.
Do you all follow this recommendation ?

2. "If you decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 SEPARATELY...."
Do those two reboots are due to finishing tasks of IE7 deinstallation
only ?
Or do these finish tasks after first reboot also carry out cleaning up
system from previous betas and RC's of IE7 ?
What if I decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 not separately
but in the same process of IE7 deinstallation ?

3. Does the option "control panel->folder options->view->view hidden
folders" is really in common with displaying/suppressing some items
under "Add/Remove Programms" ? That's new for me.

4. I think following command "%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe"
can be always executed, regardless if "view hidden folders is enabled or
not". Isn't this true ?

5.

kakii

Re: IE7 repair on win xp

Update:

" In order to avoid system crash after deinstallation, proper sequence
is recommended." - conclusion from description under "dangers discussed
here".
I think this risk should be explicity mentioned in the Sandi Harmeier's
description.

kakii wrote:

> In context of my probs while installing the update MS08-022 - 944338
> PA Bear has proposed following procedure: see thread "MS08-022 - 944338"
> TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windowsupdate:273040.
>
> Some points in this procedure are not clear.
>
> 1. Uninstallation of IE7 according to description
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html, the link "dangers discussed here".
> In order to avoid system crash after deinstallation, proper sequence is
> recommended. That means all IE7 patches newer than IE7 itself must be
> uninstalled first. That's a huge work to find out what are these patches.
> Do you all follow this recommendation ?
>
> 2. "If you decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 SEPARATELY...."
> Do those two reboots are due to finishing tasks of IE7 deinstallation
> only ?
> Or do these finish tasks after first reboot also carry out cleaning up
> system from previous betas and RC's of IE7 ?
> What if I decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 not separately
> but in the same process of IE7 deinstallation ?
>
> 3. Does the option "control panel->folder options->view->view hidden
> folders" is really in common with displaying/suppressing some items
> under "Add/Remove Programms" ? That's new for me.
>
> 4. I think following command "%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe"
> can be always executed, regardless if "view hidden folders is enabled or
> not". Isn't this true ?

Re: IE7 repair on win xp
Why didn't you reply to the original thread? =>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...871d4620b78841

In any event, I was replying to "Analog_kid61" (not you) in the reply of
mine that you reference:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8313fd5a53fce6

As it turns out, *you* only needed to follow the instructions in this reply:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c22b54adc2592e

Why did you have this problem in the first place? In all likelihood, you
didn't disable all real-time protections (e.g., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
third-party firewall) prior to installing IE7.

=====================

To answer your questions...

> In order to avoid system crash after deinstallation, proper sequence is
> recommended. That means all IE7 patches newer than IE7 itself must be
> uninstalled first.

No, that's not necessary. It's perfectly safe to ignore the "Such-and-such
might not work" warnings when uninstalling IE7 in WinXP SP2. Sandi
addressed this in http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html as well as in a blog
entry:

<QP>
Regarding the warning that appears when we uninstall IE7 mentioning programs
that may stop working if IE7 is removed, that warning is related to the
dangers discussed here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823836) . I agree,
the warning is confusing too many users and I am inclined to feel that the
warning should be removed as too confusing/frightening. I'll be interested
in your feedback on that.
</QP>
Source: http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...30/103391.aspx

> 2. "If you decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 SEPARATELY"...

If the final version of IE7 was properly installed, there'd be no previous
beta versions to uninstall.

> 3. Does the option "control panel->folder options->view->view hidden
> folders" is really in common with displaying/suppressing some items
> under "Add/Remove Programms" ? That's new for me.

No. I think Sandi meant that section to read "If the option shown above
does not appear, make sure "Show Updates" is enabled in Add/Remove Programs
applet. When some IE7 Beta versions were released, they were not listed in
Add/Remove Programs unless the "Show Updates" box was checked at top-right.
This was changed in later beta builds and IE7 final release.

> 4. I think following command "%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe"
> can be always executed, regardless if "view hidden folders is enabled or
> not". Isn't this true ?

Yes, assuming the file SPUNINST.EXE exists and hasn't been deleted through
injudicious use of a "Registry cleaner."
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

kakii wrote:
> In context of my probs while installing the update MS08-022 - 944338
> PA Bear has proposed following procedure: see thread "MS08-022 - 944338"
> TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windowsupdate:273040.
>
> Some points in this procedure are not clear.
>
> 1. Uninstallation of IE7 according to description
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html, the link "dangers discussed here".
> In order to avoid system crash after deinstallation, proper sequence is
> recommended. That means all IE7 patches newer than IE7 itself must be
> uninstalled first. That's a huge work to find out what are these patches.
> Do you all follow this recommendation ?
>
> 2. "If you decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 SEPARATELY...."
> Do those two reboots are due to finishing tasks of IE7 deinstallation
> only ?
> Or do these finish tasks after first reboot also carry out cleaning up
> system from previous betas and RC's of IE7 ?
> What if I decide to uninstall a previous beta of IE7 not separately
> but in the same process of IE7 deinstallation ?
>
> 3. Does the option "control panel->folder options->view->view hidden
> folders" is really in common with displaying/suppressing some items
> under "Add/Remove Programms" ? That's new for me.
>
> 4. I think following command "%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe"
> can be always executed, regardless if "view hidden folders is enabled or
> not". Isn't this true ?

Re: IE7 repair on win xp
Feel free to use the Contact Sandi link found in the left-hand menu here: