installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100

zyloh89 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
Hi!

Windows update kept prompting me to install update KB905866 [April 2008], but always failed and it shows error 800B0100.

My laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Hope someone is able to help out. Thanks!

Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

<QP>
The following table lists error messages that you might receive when you try
to install a software update. These errors might be caused by a system
irregularity that the System Update Readiness Tool might be able to resolve.
However, the tool might be unable to fix all instances in which these errors
occur.

0x800B0100 - TRUST_E_NOSIGNATURE - No signature was present in the subject.
</QP>
===========================
Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
• CA:
• UK:
• AU:
• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

zyloh89 wrote:
> Windows update kept prompting me to install update KB905866 [April
> 2008], but always failed and it shows error 800B0100.
>
> My laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> Hope someone is able to help out. Thanks!

zyloh89 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've downloaded and install the System Update Readiness Tool and ran auto update to install KB905866, but it still failed.
Is it a must to install it manually? i couldn't contact Microsoft Help and Support through email, it says "An unknown application error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes."

Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

> ...i couldn't contact Microsoft Help
> and Support through email, it says "An unknown application error
> occurred. Please try again in a few minutes."

Did you try again in a few minutes? Is Individual Chat Support one of your
options?

Are you able to download/install KB905866 manually using the appropriate
link in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905866?

(if any)?
--
~PA Bear

zyloh89 wrote:
> I've downloaded and install the System Update Readiness Tool and ran
> auto update to install KB905866, but it still failed.
> Is it a must to install it manually? i couldn't contact Microsoft Help
> and Support through email, it says "An unknown application error
> occurred. Please try again in a few minutes."

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> <QP>
> The following table lists error messages that you might receive when you
> try
> to install a software update. These errors might be caused by a system
> irregularity that the System Update Readiness Tool might be able to
> resolve.
> However, the tool might be unable to fix all instances in which these
> errors
> occur.
>
> 0x800B0100 - TRUST_E_NOSIGNATURE - No signature was present in the
> subject.
> </QP>
> ===========================
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
> • CA:
> • UK:
> • AU:
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
>
> Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>
> zyloh89 wrote:
>> Windows update kept prompting me to install update KB905866 [April
>> 2008], but always failed and it shows error 800B0100.
>>
>> My laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> Hope someone is able to help out. Thanks!

zyloh89 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried again in a few minutes, but i still can't send the email through.
The options provided were email or phone support, but i don't live in the US, so i only can contact them through email.

I've manually downloaded the SP1 pack, but didn't dare to install in case if anything happens. If it is safe to install, then i'll go ahead with it.

I have Mcafee running, ad-aware 2007 and spybot S&D's teatimer running. I wanted to install a firewall program but haven't done so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

> ...i couldn't contact Microsoft Help
> and Support through email, it says "An unknown application error
> occurred. Please try again in a few minutes."

Did you try again in a few minutes? Is Individual Chat Support one of your
options?

Are you able to download/install KB905866 manually using the appropriate
link in Description of the definition updates for Windows Mail

(if any)?
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
>
> <QP>
> The following table lists error messages that you might receive when you
> try
> to install a software update. These errors might be caused by a system
> irregularity that the System Update Readiness Tool might be able to
> resolve.
> However, the tool might be unable to fix all instances in which these
> errors
> occur.
>
> 0x800B0100 - TRUST_E_NOSIGNATURE - No signature was present in the
> subject.
> </QP>
> ===========================
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
> Help and Support
> • CA:
> Help and Support
> • UK:
> Help and Support
> • AU:
> Help and Support
> • Other: Please Verify your Location | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
>
> Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
> The Windows Experience Blog : Windows Vista SP1 FAQ
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>
> zyloh89 wrote:
>> Windows update kept prompting me to install update KB905866 [April
>> 2008], but always failed and it shows error 800B0100.
>>
>> My laptop is running Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> Hope someone is able to help out. Thanks!

Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
> I've tried again in a few minutes, but i still can't send the email
> through.

Are you having any other problems using Internet Explorer?

> The options provided were email or phone support, but i don't live in
> the US, so i only can contact them through email.

In what country do you live, please?

> I've manually downloaded the SP1 pack, but didn't dare to install in
> case if anything happens. If it is safe to install, then i'll go ahead
> with it.

I would not recommend installing Vista SP1 until and unless it's offered by
Windows Update!

> I have Mcafee running, ad-aware 2007 and spybot S&D's teatimer running.
> I wanted to install a firewall program but haven't done so.

=> What McAfee application is installed (e.g., McAfee VirusScan; McAfee
Internet Security; McAfee Security Center)? Is your subscription current?
When did you install it? Did you upgrade to this McAfee application from an
earlier McAfee application?

=> I will assume that the Windows Firewall is enabled. If it's not, please
try to enable it and tell me if you were successful.

1. Uninstall Ad-Aware 2007 via Add/Remove Programs (at least for the time
being), please.

2. Disable Spybot Tea Timer and leave it disabled for now; see instruction
here: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409

3. Reboot.

4. If installing KB905866 via Windows Update continues to fail with the
0x800B0100 error, temporarily disable McAfee VirusScan and try again. If
still no joy, see if you can download/install it manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-0C6F3D3C2D69
(Save the download to your desktop, then double-click on it to install)

5. Leaving the McAfee application temporarily disabled, does Windows Update
offer you any other updates now?

Caution: Do not do anything else online while McAfee VirusScan is disabled!
--
~PA Bear

zyloh89 wrote:
> [...]

>>> • UK:
>>> 'Help and Support' (http://tinyurl.com/54ffh8)
>>> • AU:
>>> 'Help and Support' (http://tinyurl.com/3ehvcj)
>>> • Other: 'Please Verify your Location'

>> (http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx) | select Windows
>>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>>
>>> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
>>> 'How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack'

>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791)
>>>
>>> Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
>>> 'The Windows Experience Blog : Windows Vista SP1 FAQ'
>>> (http://tinyurl.com/49rlhz)
>>>
>>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
>>> 'Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download'

>> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx)
>>>
>>> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1

I currently don't face any problems using internet explorer, I hardly use it as I am using Firefox. I used IE to send the email to Microsoft but didn't work.

I live in Malaysia.

I have McAfee Security Center, and the subscription is current. It came installed in my laptop, so i think there is no upgrade done in this mcafee application.

I thought it's advisable not to run 2 firewalls on one laptop, so my Windows Firewall is turned off because there's one running on Mcafee.

Should I follow the steps you mentioned in the post above? I'm totally bad at computer stuff. =(

Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
[Repost: In order to assist you best, I need you to quote the entire message
to which you're replying, please.]

You are correct: You should not have more than one (1) firewall enabled.
However, the McAfee firewall may be causing some of your problems. For the
time being (i.e., as a test), disable the McAfee firewall *and then* enable
the Windows Firewall; leave it this way for now.

Yes, please do Steps #1 through #5 in my previous reply now.
--
~PA Bear

zyloh89 wrote:
> I currently don't face any problems using internet explorer, I hardly
> use it as I am using Firefox. I used IE to send the email to Microsoft
> but didn't work.
>
> I live in Malaysia.
>
> I have McAfee Security Center, and the subscription is current. It came
> installed in my laptop, so i think there is no upgrade done in this
> mcafee application.
>
> I thought it's advisable not to run 2 firewalls on one laptop, so my
> Windows Firewall is turned off because there's one running on Mcafee.
>
> Should I follow the steps you mentioned in the post above? I'm totally
> bad at computer stuff. =(

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]

>> case if anything happens. If it is safe to install, then i'll go ahead
>> with it.
>>
>> I have Mcafee running, ad-aware 2007 and spybot S&D's teatimer running.
>> I wanted to install a firewall program but haven't done so.
>>
>> 'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
>>> [To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all
>>> of previous
>>> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

>>> Did you try again in a few minutes? Is Individual Chat Support one of
>>> your options?
>>>
>>> Are you able to download/install KB905866 manually using the appropriate
>>> link in 'Description of the definition updates for Windows Mail'
>>> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905866?)
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party

</paste>

zyloh89 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the
time being (i.e., as a test), disable the McAfee firewall *and then* enable
the Windows Firewall; leave it this way for now.

I've disabled the Mcafee firewall and use Windows Firewall, but update still failed.

1. Uninstall Ad-Aware 2007 via Add/Remove Programs (at least for the time
> being), please.
>
> 2. Disable Spybot Tea Timer and leave it disabled for now; see instruction
> here: AumHa Forums &bull; View topic - HOW TO disable Spybot Tea Timer
>
> 3. Reboot.
>
> 4. If installing KB905866 via Windows Update continues to fail with the
> 0x800B0100 error, temporarily disable McAfee VirusScan and try again. If
> still no joy, see if you can download/install it manually:
> Download details: Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [April 2008] (KB905866)
> (Save the download to your desktop, then double-click on it to install)

After uninstalling ad-aware and disabled tea-timer, it still failed to update. I disabled Mcafee, still failed. I tried to manually install it, it shows "Some updates were not installed. The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB905866)"

> 5. Leaving the McAfee application temporarily disabled, does Windows
> Update
> offer you any other updates now?

It still offers the update KB908566, and Microsoft Silverlight, which is optional and i didn't download/install.

zyloh89 wrote:
> I currently don't face any problems using internet explorer, I hardly
> use it as I am using Firefox. I used IE to send the email to Microsoft
> but didn't work.
>
> I live in Malaysia.
>
> I have McAfee Security Center, and the subscription is current. It came
> installed in my laptop, so i think there is no upgrade done in this
> mcafee application.
>
> I thought it's advisable not to run 2 firewalls on one laptop, so my
> Windows Firewall is turned off because there's one running on Mcafee.
>
> Should I follow the steps you mentioned in the post above? I'm totally
> bad at computer stuff. =(

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]

>>> your options?
>>>
>>> Are you able to download/install KB905866 manually using the appropriate
>>> link in 'Description of the definition updates for Windows Mail'
>>> (Description of the definition updates for Windows Mail)
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>>> firewall (if any)?
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

>>> <paste>
>>> (Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista)

>>> (Please Verify your Location) | select Windows

>>> (How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack)

>>> (Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download)

</paste>

Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
If you cannot download/install KB905866 manually via
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-0C6F3D3C2D69,
you'd be best off using the free Support options I've referenced in my
earlier replies. Use another machine to communicate with Support, if
necessary.

I have nothing more to add or suggest here. Good luck.

PS: VistaHeads forum software is converting my posted links to tinyURL
links. Avoid this by accessing this newsgroup via the web-interface
instead:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate

In your newsreader:
--