Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update

doctor watson

Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update
Using XP Pro, IE 7.0 Norton Internet Security 2008. When running Windows
Update a security warning appears "The current Web page is trying to open a
site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this? (Yes/No). The
current site is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
http://autoupdate.msn.com and the trusted site is
http://www.update.microsoft.com or http://download.windowsupdate.com". This
is something new that is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update
How are you "running Windows Update" (e.g., via IE Tools | Windows Update)?

Did you only recently install WinXP SP2?

IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Sites: Are
http://www.update.microsoft.com and http://download.windowsupdate.com listed
here?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

doctor watson wrote:
> Using XP Pro, IE 7.0 Norton Internet Security 2008. When running Windows
> Update a security warning appears "The current Web page is trying to open
> site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this? (Yes/No).
> The
> current site is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
> http://autoupdate.msn.com and the trusted site is
> http://www.update.microsoft.com or http://download.windowsupdate.com".
> This
> is something new that is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

doctor watson

Re: Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update
I start it via the Start Menu or IE Tools/Windows Update.
SP2 has been installed since it was released.
Both of the sites are in my Trusted Zone sites list.
I might add that I did some clean-up using Easy Cleaner but I only remove
"junk" (or so I thought?)
doctor watson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How are you "running Windows Update" (e.g., via IE Tools | Windows Update)?
>
> Did you only recently install WinXP SP2?
>
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Sites: Are
> http://www.update.microsoft.com and http://download.windowsupdate.com listed
> here?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> doctor watson wrote:
> > Using XP Pro, IE 7.0 Norton Internet Security 2008. When running Windows
> > Update a security warning appears "The current Web page is trying to open
> > site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this? (Yes/No).
> > The
> > current site is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
> > http://autoupdate.msn.com and the trusted site is
> > http://www.update.microsoft.com or http://download.windowsupdate.com".
> > This
> > is something new that is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update
Then what you describe is expected behavior, Doc. Here's how to disable the
prompt but it's probably best for you to leave it as is for safety's sake:

IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Custom |
Miscellaneous | Websites in less privileged web content zone can navigate
into this zone (select Enable to avoid the prompt).

> I might add that I did some clean-up using Easy Cleaner but I only remove
> "junk" (or so I thought?)

Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

~PA Bear

doctor watson wrote:
> I start it via the Start Menu or IE Tools/Windows Update.
> SP2 has been installed since it was released.
> Both of the sites are in my Trusted Zone sites list.
> I might add that I did some clean-up using Easy Cleaner but I only remove
> "junk" (or so I thought?)
> doctor watson
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> How are you "running Windows Update" (e.g., via IE Tools | Windows
>> Update)?
>>
>> Did you only recently install WinXP SP2?
>>
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Sites: Are
>> http://www.update.microsoft.com and http://download.windowsupdate.com
>> listed here?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> doctor watson wrote:
>>> Using XP Pro, IE 7.0 Norton Internet Security 2008. When running
>>> Windows
>>> Update a security warning appears "The current Web page is trying to
>>> open
>>> site in your Trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this? (Yes/No).
>>> The
>>> current site is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or
>>> http://autoupdate.msn.com and the trusted site is
>>> http://www.update.microsoft.com or http://download.windowsupdate.com".
>>> This
>>> is something new that is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

doctor watson

Re: Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update
Thanks for the analysis and helpful information, PA Bear. Especially the
link to aumha.net. That sure is an eye opener. I'll think twice about using
cleaners without a backup.
As always, you guys provide an outstanding service and do a good job.
Thanks again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Then what you describe is expected behavior, Doc. Here's how to disable the
> prompt but it's probably best for you to leave it as is for safety's sake:
>
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Custom |
> Miscellaneous | Websites in less privileged web content zone can navigate
> into this zone (select Enable to avoid the prompt).
>
> > I might add that I did some clean-up using Easy Cleaner but I only remove
> > "junk" (or so I thought?)

> Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~PA Bear
>

> doctor watson wrote:
> > I start it via the Start Menu or IE Tools/Windows Update.
> > SP2 has been installed since it was released.
> > Both of the sites are in my Trusted Zone sites list.
> > I might add that I did some clean-up using Easy Cleaner but I only remove
> > "junk" (or so I thought?)
> > doctor watson
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> How are you "running Windows Update" (e.g., via IE Tools | Windows
> >> Update)?
> >>
> >> Did you only recently install WinXP SP2?
> >>
> >> IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Sites: Are
> >> http://www.update.microsoft.com and http://download.windowsupdate.com
> >> listed here?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Security Warning - Windows/Automatic Update
YW & thanks /very/ much for your kind words and feedback.