Windows Update screen is blank

Jane

Windows Update screen is blank
When I choose the Windows Update from my Start menu I get a blank
screen. The URL is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. It just says
"Done" at the bottom.

I tried from Firefox, but of course it told me I had to be using IE.

I use IE ver 7.0.57....

I have run Update dozens of times and never had this happen. Is
anyone else having this problem? Is there another approach that I
can try?

thanks

Re: Windows Update screen is blank
Windows version?

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

=====================

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

===========================

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jane wrote:
> When I choose the Windows Update from my Start menu I get a blank
> screen. The URL is http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. It just says
> "Done" at the bottom.
>
> I tried from Firefox, but of course it told me I had to be using IE.
>
> I use IE ver 7.0.57....
>
> I have run Update dozens of times and never had this happen. Is
> anyone else having this problem? Is there another approach that I
> can try?
>
> thanks

Jane

On Apr 19, 10:40 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Windows version?
>
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
>
> =====================
>
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section ofhttp://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log filehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> 4. Windows Update Checklist:http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>
> ===========================
>
> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/
>
> Jane wrote:
> > When I choose the Windows Update from my Start menu I get a blank
> > screen. The URL ishttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. It just says
> > "Done" at the bottom.

> > I tried from Firefox, but of course it told me I had to be using IE.

> > I use IE ver 7.0.57....

> > I have run Update dozens of times and never had this happen. Is
> > anyone else having this problem? Is there another approach that I
> > can try?

> > thanks

Thanks. The problem turned out to be changes that I made in IE
Security settings.

"Jane" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 19, 10:40 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Windows version?
>>
>> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea
>> Timer,
>> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
>> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
>> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
>>
>> =====================
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
>> Update Services installation
>> issues:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>>
>> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
>> ofhttp://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
>>
>> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
>> associated with the download/install.
>>
>> How to read the Windowsupdate.log
>> filehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>>
>> 3b. Compare errors to those listed
>> here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
>> and/or go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> click on Help and Support
>> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>>
>> 4. Windows Update Checklist:http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
>>
>> ===========================
>>
>> Start a free Windows Update support incident
>> request:https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
>> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jane wrote:
>> > When I choose the Windows Update from my Start menu I get a blank
>> > screen. The URL ishttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. It just says
>> > "Done" at the bottom.

>> > I tried from Firefox, but of course it told me I had to be using IE.

>> > I use IE ver 7.0.57....

>> > I have run Update dozens of times and never had this happen. Is
>> > anyone else having this problem? Is there another approach that I
>> > can try?

> Thanks. The problem turned out to be changes that I made in IE
> Security settings.

YW. What changes?

Jane

On Apr 19, 6:36 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jane" <googlemail2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Apr 19, 10:40 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Windows version?

> >> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> >> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea
> >> Timer,
> >> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> >> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> >> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

> >> =====================

> >> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> >> Update Services installation
> >> issues:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

> >> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> >> ofhttp://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

> >> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

> >> 3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
> >> associated with the download/install.

> >> How to read the Windowsupdate.log
> >> filehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

> >> 3b. Compare errors to those listed
> >> here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> >> and/or go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> click on Help and Support
> >> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

> >> 4. Windows Update Checklist:http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

> >> ===========================

> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident
> >> request:https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

> >> Support for Windows Update:http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> >> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/

> > Thanks. The problem turned out to be changes that I made in IE
> > Security settings.

> YW. What changes?

I'm not completely certain but I had all of the ActiveX options
disabled. What I did was set everything back to the default. In
general I only use Firefox. The only time I use IE is for Windows
updates and those occasional times when some site won't work with
anything but IE.