Problems with XP Update

AndrewL

Problems with XP Update
I can not use Windows Update service at the moment, the update page results
in the messge :- "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer
registered or installed on your computer. To continue:"
When I use the "Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)"
option it performs a download and a registry process but just loops back to
the same page.
Have tried the solution in article 943144 from knowledgbase but that did
not resolve.
Anyone Help ?
--
Cheers Andrew L
TaurArian

Re: Problems with XP Update
Some have reported that simply re-registering the MSXML3.DLL seems to fix the problem.
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type: regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL
Press okay

If that hasn't helped you may need to re-registered some more files:

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type (pressing okay after each one) :-

net stop wuauserv

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

net start wuauserv

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"AndrewL" <AndrewL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I can not use Windows Update service at the moment, the update page results
| in the messge :- "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer
| registered or installed on your computer. To continue:"
| When I use the "Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)"
| option it performs a download and a registry process but just loops back to
| the same page.
| Have tried the solution in article 943144 from knowledgbase but that did
| not resolve.
| Anyone Help ?
| --
| Cheers Andrew L

ehabpop2

RE: Problems with XP Update

"AndrewL" wrote:

> I can not use Windows Update service at the moment, the update page results
> in the messge :- "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer
> registered or installed on your computer. To continue:"
> When I use the "Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)"
> option it performs a download and a registry process but just loops back to
> the same page.
> Have tried the solution in article 943144 from knowledgbase but that did
> not resolve.
> Anyone Help ?
> --
> Cheers Andrew L

AndrewL

Re: Problems with XP Update
Brilliant, problem sorted.
I could not reregister the DLL using the run option but downloaded the DLL
from kb924191 and that worked.
For the record I was having lots of problems with software until I removed
three separate installs of MSXML4.DLL using contral panel add/remove. That
sorted most problems and the last problem with Updater resolved by this fix
here.
Thank you.

--
Cheers Andrew L