Can't install Service Pack 2 for Vista

Sandy

Can't install Service Pack 2 for Vista
I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:

WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000

Can anyone help?
TheAncient

RE: Can't install Service Pack 2 for Vista

"Sandy" wrote:

> I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:
>
> WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> Can anyone help?

There is no Service Pack 2 for Vista (yet)
So what, exactly, are you trying to install??

Re: Can't install Service Pack 2 for Vista
Assuming you mean Vista SP1...

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
US:
CA:
UK:
AU:
Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
"Installation was not successful" or "An internal error occurred while
installing the service pack"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear), working offline
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Sandy wrote:
> I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:
>
> WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> Can anyone help?

Shenan Stanley

Sandy wrote:
> I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for
> Vista:
>
> WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> Can anyone help?

Yes. I think I can help.

Stop trying to install a Service Pack that does not exist for the operating
system you are stating you have... Whatever it is you are trying to
install - if you have accurately portrayed it here - is not *real*. Service
Pack 2 for Windows Vista does not exist at this time. Heck - Service Pack 1
for Windows Vista is not that old at this point.

If you have made a typo - please correct it in this same thread.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Sandy

RE: Can't install Service Pack 2 for Vista
DOH! I meant to write Service Pack 1.

"TheAncient" wrote:

> "Sandy" wrote:
>
> > I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:
> >
> > WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
> >
> > Can anyone help?

> There is no Service Pack 2 for Vista (yet)
> So what, exactly, are you trying to install??

zole2112

"Sandy" wrote:

> I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:
>
> WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> Can anyone help?

I get the same message, I knew you meant SP1 (as opposed to others). I
search Microsoft knowledge base for error 800704c8 and there was nothing
found. What the hell is up with companies that supply specific error messages
and when you search using that error message you find nothing?
zole2112

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Assuming you mean Vista SP1...
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
> • US:
> • CA:
> • UK:
> • AU:
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>
> Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
> "Installation was not successful" or "An internal error occurred while
> installing the service pack"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366
>
> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
>
> Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>
> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear), working offline
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Sandy wrote:
> > I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:
> >
> > WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
> >
> > Can anyone help?

Of course she meant SP1...I don't think it's too much to ask to have an
solution or at least a set of diagnostic suggestions result from a search of
a specific error code. I shouldn't have to search through a laundry list of
possibly related articles in Microsoft's knowledge base when Vista gives me
an error code #800704C8.

Any help from Microsoft would be appreciated, maybe they read their own
forums??? Doubtful...
Robert Aldwinckle

"Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for Vista:
>
> WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> Can anyone help?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c = 0x4C8
1224
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.
</cmd_output>

Looks like you need more clues than just an error code... <eg>

---

zole2112 wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Assuming you mean Vista SP1...
>>
>> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
>> available
>> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>
>> Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
>> "Installation was not successful" or "An internal error occurred while
>> installing the service pack"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366
>>
>> How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
>>
>> Windows Vista SP1 FAQ:
>> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...a-sp1-faq.aspx
>>
>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 - Things to Know Before You Download:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>>
>> Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>> (SP1):
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
>> -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear), working offline
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Sandy wrote:
>>> I get the following error when trying to install Service Pack 2 for
>>> Vista:
>>>
>>> WindowsUpdate_800704C8 WindowsUpdate_dt000
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?

> Of course she meant SP1...I don't think it's too much to ask to have an
> solution or at least a set of diagnostic suggestions result from a search
> of
> a specific error code. I shouldn't have to search through a laundry list
> of
> possibly related articles in Microsoft's knowledge base when Vista gives
> me
> an error code #800704C8.
>
> Any help from Microsoft would be appreciated, maybe they read their own
> forums??? Doubtful...

If she meant SP1 why did she say SP2?

MS does NOT monitor these peer-to-peer support newsgroups. If you need
assistance from MS, see the links in my previous reply.
--
~PA Bear
www.bite.me