1 terabyte internal hd

dianne

1 terabyte internal hd
I use Win 2k pro. I need to get the 1 terabyte internal drive, which I have
on my computer, able see the whole terabyte since the computer had crashed
because it was bad. I already formatted 99.97 gb and 30 gb to have my
computer. The rest of the terabytes cannot be recogized by my win 2k pro.
There mst be some service pack that could used.

Do you know how?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: 1 terabyte internal hd
48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"dianne" <dianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E661BF90-344F-42C2-BBE2-582814A1F595@microsoft.com...
I use Win 2k pro. I need to get the 1 terabyte internal drive, which I have
on my computer, able see the whole terabyte since the computer had crashed
because it was bad. I already formatted 99.97 gb and 30 gb to have my
computer. The rest of the terabytes cannot be recogized by my win 2k pro.
There mst be some service pack that could used.

Do you know how?

dianne

Re: 1 terabyte internal hd
Dear Carey:
I went to 305098 and could not find what you are referring to. Could you
send me either through this message or by message directly through my email
what you sending me? You are probably correct but I guess I don't get it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows System & Performance

> "dianne" <dianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E661BF90-344F-42C2-BBE2-582814A1F595@microsoft.com...
> I use Win 2k pro. I need to get the 1 terabyte internal drive, which I have
> on my computer, able see the whole terabyte since the computer had crashed
> because it was bad. I already formatted 99.97 gb and 30 gb to have my
> computer. The rest of the terabytes cannot be recogized by my win 2k pro.
> There mst be some service pack that could used.
>
> Do you know how?

Shenan Stanley

Re: 1 terabyte internal hd

dianne wrote:
> I went to 305098 and could not find what you are referring to.
> Could you send me either through this message or by message
> directly through my email what you sending me? You are probably
> correct but I guess I don't get it.

You must read the entire thing. ;-)

Is the following true about your system?

.. A computer with a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS)
installed. (This is a HARDWARE requirement - you will need to refer to your
motherboard/controller manufacturer specifications and/or technical
support.)

.. A computer with a hard disk that has a capacity of greater than 137
gigabytes (GB). (You've obviously got this - or why else would you ask?)

.. You must enable the support in the Windows registry by adding or changing
the EnableBigLba registry value to 1 in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\atapi\Parameters
(Did you do this?)

The link you were originally given explained it quite simply. If you do not
meet the above requirements and you go ahead and enable ther support in the
Windows 2000 registry (as we seem to be speaking of Windows 2000 here...) -
then you will have trouble (which is described in the section beginning
with: "NOTE: If you enable 48-bit LBA ATAPI support by editing the preceding
registry key, but your system does not meet the minimum requirements, you
may observe the following behaviors:")

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP