Re: Office 2002 XP SP3

Rojo26

Re: Office 2002 XP SP3
I've run into the same problem on a customer's computer, but the disc does
not have such a file. I tried renaming word.msi to wordret.msi, but the same
thing happened. This is a brand-name computer with a factory install. Every
other time I've ever run this on Works Suite, the file is on the computer.
But this one isn't on the computer or the disc of another Works Suite 2006
product we had.

I also tried the so-called "full-file" version. What is the point of the
full file version if not to provide all necessary files?

Does anybody have any more ideas?

"Lesley" wrote:

> Hello Robin
> To answer your question, it was the same error message.
> I copied the CD to desktop as you suggested with no problem and then using
> the copy reinstalled MSWord sucessfully!
> Then I tried updating again and it worked! I don't know why it worked from
> the copy and not the original disk but I suspect you do!
> I can't thank you enough for your help and patience and I hope this may help
> others with a similar problem.
> Thanks again, Lesley
>
> "Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Lesley <Lesley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have searched the CD following your instructions and the WORDRET
> > > icon was displayed after double clicking MSWord. I tried to install
> > > the update again and when the pop up came I clicked browse, selected
> > > CD drive and inserted the disk. I clicked to open WORDRET but it came
> > > up file not found so I asked to open MSWord and it displayed 2
> > > icons, I 'files' and the other WORDRET which I double clicked on to
> > > open. This automatically put D:\MSWord\WORDRET.MSI in the pop up box
> > > so I clicked OK. The box went and the installation bar continued to
> > > the end but then it failed again.

> > What error message did it give this time when it failed?
> >
> > > I also tried to reinstall word by
> > > clicking on the WORDRET icon but it kept asking me to insert the disk
> > > but when I did I heard it spinning but when it stopped it asked me to
> > > insert the disk again and I could not get rid of this box so had to
> > > cancel. Do you think there may be something wrong with the disk?

> > It's difficult to tell from far away.
> >
> > One way to check might be to right-click-and-drag the CD icon into a new
> > folder on the desktop, and select "Copy here" when you let go of the right
> > mouse button. If the whole CD drive copies successfully, then the CD is OK.
> > If the CD is bad, you will get some sort of error.
> >
> > If the CD will not read, check it for obvious dirt smudges and try cleaning
> > it gently with a soft cloth.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

TaurArian

Re: Office 2002 XP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327854/en-us
"Word cannot open the End User License Agreement" error message when you install Office XP
Service Pack 1 (SP-1)
Should also relate to SP-3
Cannot find the file Wordret.msi.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Rojo26" <Rojo26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I've run into the same problem on a customer's computer, but the disc does
| not have such a file. I tried renaming word.msi to wordret.msi, but the same
| thing happened. This is a brand-name computer with a factory install. Every
| other time I've ever run this on Works Suite, the file is on the computer.
| But this one isn't on the computer or the disc of another Works Suite 2006
| product we had.
|
| I also tried the so-called "full-file" version. What is the point of the
| full file version if not to provide all necessary files?
|
| Does anybody have any more ideas?
|
| "Lesley" wrote:
|
| > Hello Robin
| > To answer your question, it was the same error message.
| > I copied the CD to desktop as you suggested with no problem and then using
| > the copy reinstalled MSWord sucessfully!
| > Then I tried updating again and it worked! I don't know why it worked from
| > the copy and not the original disk but I suspect you do!
| > I can't thank you enough for your help and patience and I hope this may help
| > others with a similar problem.
| > Thanks again, Lesley

| > > What error message did it give this time when it failed?

| > > It's difficult to tell from far away.
| > >
| > > One way to check might be to right-click-and-drag the CD icon into a new
| > > folder on the desktop, and select "Copy here" when you let go of the right
| > > mouse button. If the whole CD drive copies successfully, then the CD is OK.
| > > If the CD is bad, you will get some sort of error.
| > >
| > > If the CD will not read, check it for obvious dirt smudges and try cleaning
| > > it gently with a soft cloth.
| > >
| > > --
| > > Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
| > > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Rojo26

Re: Office 2002 XP SP3
I appreciate your effort, but please notice that my post said the computer
has Works Suite 2006, not Office. Works Suite 2006 includes Word 2002, so
Microsoft Update applies Office service packs. I have done this successfully
on a great many computers--just not this one.

Interestingly, I have Office 2007 on my computer, but I discovered that my
version of Office didn't include Microsoft Office Tools, which I found to be
very helpful. So I reinstalled only Office Tools from Office XP Pro on my
computer. Now Microsoft Update wants to install every conceivable update that
Office XP Pro would normally require. Why would I need to install an update
to Access 2002 if I don't have it installed? Assuming that it would fail
anyway, I simply said to not prompt me with this update again.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> "Word cannot open the End User License Agreement" error message when you install Office XP
> Service Pack 1 (SP-1)
> Should also relate to SP-3
> Cannot find the file Wordret.msi.
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Rojo26" <Rojo26@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I've run into the same problem on a customer's computer, but the disc does
> | not have such a file. I tried renaming word.msi to wordret.msi, but the same
> | thing happened. This is a brand-name computer with a factory install. Every
> | other time I've ever run this on Works Suite, the file is on the computer.
> | But this one isn't on the computer or the disc of another Works Suite 2006
> | product we had.
> |
> | I also tried the so-called "full-file" version. What is the point of the
> | full file version if not to provide all necessary files?
> |
> | Does anybody have any more ideas?
> |
> | "Lesley" wrote:
> |
> | > Hello Robin
> | > To answer your question, it was the same error message.
> | > I copied the CD to desktop as you suggested with no problem and then using
> | > the copy reinstalled MSWord sucessfully!
> | > Then I tried updating again and it worked! I don't know why it worked from
> | > the copy and not the original disk but I suspect you do!
> | > I can't thank you enough for your help and patience and I hope this may help
> | > others with a similar problem.
> | > Thanks again, Lesley

Vee

Re: Office 2002 XP SP3