Installation Failure 0x80092002

Alt Beer

Installation Failure 0x80092002
XP Pro XP2 Autoupdate set to notify but don't download or install.

All updates working fine until April 8 2008. But updates from April 8 2008
all have Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002

(KB947864)
(KB941693)
(KB948590)
(KB944338)
(KB945553)
(KB948881)

I ran sfc /scannow to check system files

To re-install autoupdate I ran rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf

But I still get Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002.

I also tried booting into Safe Mode.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Kaspersky 7.0.1.321
Spybot SD

Alt Beer

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
To add I should say using IE6 and that I have not done any repair install or
other system work prior to or since the update problem other than as
below... Thanks

"Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
> XP Pro XP2 Autoupdate set to notify but don't download or install.
>
> All updates working fine until April 8 2008. But updates from April 8
> 2008
> all have Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002
>
> (KB947864)
> (KB941693)
> (KB948590)
> (KB944338)
> (KB945553)
> (KB948881)
>
> I ran sfc /scannow to check system files
>
> To re-install autoupdate I ran rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
> DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf
>
> But I still get Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002.
>
> I also tried booting into Safe Mode.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaspersky 7.0.1.321
> Spybot SD

Alt Beer

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 The WGA update
downloaded and installed ok but other updates are still getting Installation
Failure Error Code: 0x80092002

Can anyone advise me on this error code?

> To add I should say using IE6 and that I have not done any repair install
> or
> other system work prior to or since the update problem other than as
> below... Thanks
>

> "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
>> XP Pro XP2 Autoupdate set to notify but don't download or install.
>>
>> All updates working fine until April 8 2008. But updates from April 8
>> 2008
>> all have Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002
>>
>> (KB947864)
>> (KB941693)
>> (KB948590)
>> (KB944338)
>> (KB945553)
>> (KB948881)
>>
>> I ran sfc /scannow to check system files
>>
>> To re-install autoupdate I ran rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
>> DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf
>>
>> But I still get Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002.
>>
>> I also tried booting into Safe Mode.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kaspersky 7.0.1.321
>> Spybot SD

TaurArian

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
Did you try renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

You'll lose the history but not important.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

|I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 The WGA update
| downloaded and installed ok but other updates are still getting Installation
| Failure Error Code: 0x80092002
|
| Can anyone advise me on this error code?
|
| Thanks
|

| "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
| > To add I should say using IE6 and that I have not done any repair install
| > or
| > other system work prior to or since the update problem other than as
| > below... Thanks
| >

| > "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
| >> XP Pro XP2 Autoupdate set to notify but don't download or install.
| >>
| >> All updates working fine until April 8 2008. But updates from April 8
| >> 2008
| >> all have Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002
| >>
| >> (KB947864)
| >> (KB941693)
| >> (KB948590)
| >> (KB944338)
| >> (KB945553)
| >> (KB948881)
| >>
| >> I ran sfc /scannow to check system files
| >>
| >> To re-install autoupdate I ran rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection
| >> DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf
| >>
| >> But I still get Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002.
| >>
| >> I also tried booting into Safe Mode.
| >>
| >> Does anyone have any ideas?
| >>
| >> Thanks
| >>
| >> Kaspersky 7.0.1.321
| >> Spybot SD

Alt Beer

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
Yes I have renamed the Software Distribution folder.
Still get Installation Failure 0x80092002.

I have also tried running Dial-a-fix and still get Installation Failure
0x80092002 on the following updates:

(KB947864)
(KB941693)
(KB948590)
(KB944338)
(KB945553)
(KB948881)

Anything else to try or do I wait for new update releases?

I have already tried:
sfc /scannow to check system files
re-installed Auto Update as described in KB943144 (method 1 and 2)

Thanks

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you try renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder
>
> Click Start, Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> Click Stop.
> Stopping the service will take a moment.
>
> Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
> a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
> b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
> c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this
> folder.
>
> Click Start. Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
> Click Start.
> Starting the service will take a moment.
>
> You'll lose the history but not important.
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
> |I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 The WGA update
> | downloaded and installed ok but other updates are still getting
> Installation
> | Failure Error Code: 0x80092002
> |
> | Can anyone advise me on this error code?
> |
> | Thanks
> |

> | "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
> | > To add I should say using IE6 and that I have not done any repair
> install
> | > or
> | > other system work prior to or since the update problem other than as
> | > below... Thanks
> | >

> | > "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message

> 8

> setupapi,InstallHinfSection

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
If you disable Spybot Tea Timer (see http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409)
and/or KAV7, do the updates install?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Alt Beer wrote:
> Yes I have renamed the Software Distribution folder.
> Still get Installation Failure 0x80092002.
>
> I have also tried running Dial-a-fix and still get Installation Failure
> 0x80092002 on the following updates:
>
> (KB947864)
> (KB941693)
> (KB948590)
> (KB944338)
> (KB945553)
> (KB948881)
>
> Anything else to try or do I wait for new update releases?
>
> I have already tried:
> sfc /scannow to check system files
> re-installed Auto Update as described in KB943144 (method 1 and 2)
>
> Thanks
>

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Did you try renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder
>>
>> Click Start, Choose Run.
>> In the Run box, type services.msc.
>> Click OK.
>> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
>> Click Stop.
>> Stopping the service will take a moment.
>>
>> Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
>> a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
>> b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
>> c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this
>> folder.
>>
>> Click Start. Choose Run.
>> In the Run box, type services.msc.
>> Click OK.
>> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
>> Click Start.
>> Starting the service will take a moment.
>>
>> You'll lose the history but not important.
>>
>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>>

>> "Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
>>> I followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 The WGA update
>>> downloaded and installed ok but other updates are still getting
>>> Installation Failure Error Code: 0x80092002
>>>
>>> Can anyone advise me on this error code?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Alt Beer

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
Disabled Tea Timer, ran ResetTeaTimer.bat, ran Dial-a-fix Flush Software
Distribution (delete ALL files) Paused protection on KAV7 still
Installation Failure 0x80092002 on all six updates.

I tried selecting an update for Outlook junk mail filter (even though I
don't
use Outlook and had the offered update hidden) The update downloaded ok
without error. I ghosted my HD to a spare HD and selected the IE7 upgrade
(I was using IE6). It downloaded and installed fine. The high priority
updates with IE7 still had Installation Failure same as with IE6. Some
update types are working others are not.

Do you know what Error Code Installation Failure 0x80092002 means?
Searched for it on MS and nothing found.

Don't know what else to try. My PC seems to be working fine apart from not
being able to install high priority updates.

> If you disable Spybot Tea Timer (see
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409) and/or KAV7, do the updates
> install?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Alt Beer wrote:
>> Yes I have renamed the Software Distribution folder.
>> Still get Installation Failure 0x80092002.
>>
>> I have also tried running Dial-a-fix and still get Installation Failure
>> 0x80092002 on the following updates:
>>
>> (KB947864)
>> (KB941693)
>> (KB948590)
>> (KB944338)
>> (KB945553)
>> (KB948881)
>>
>> Anything else to try or do I wait for new update releases?
>>
>> I have already tried:
>> sfc /scannow to check system files
>> re-installed Auto Update as described in KB943144 (method 1 and 2)
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Did you try renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder
>>>
>>> Click Start, Choose Run.
>>> In the Run box, type services.msc.
>>> Click OK.
>>> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
>>> Click Stop.
>>> Stopping the service will take a moment.
>>>
>>> Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
>>> a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
>>> b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
>>> c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this
>>> folder.
>>>
>>> Click Start. Choose Run.
>>> In the Run box, type services.msc.
>>> Click OK.
>>> Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
>>> Click Start.
>>> Starting the service will take a moment.
>>>
>>> You'll lose the history but not important.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
>>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>>> ======================================
>>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
> Do you know what Error Code Installation Failure 0x80092002 means?

0x80092002
CRYPT_E_BAD_ENCODE
An error occurred during the encode or decode

I'd hazard to guess that some security application or setting is causing the
problem.

If you're KAV7 includes a firewall, trying disabling it, too, *and then*
enabling the Windows Firewall. Otherwise, I'd recommend that you...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

> Disabled Tea Timer, ran ResetTeaTimer.bat, ran Dial-a-fix Flush Software
> Distribution (delete ALL files) Paused protection on KAV7 still
> Installation Failure 0x80092002 on all six updates.
>
> I tried selecting an update for Outlook junk mail filter (even though I
> don't
> use Outlook and had the offered update hidden) The update downloaded ok
> without error. I ghosted my HD to a spare HD and selected the IE7 upgrade
> (I was using IE6). It downloaded and installed fine. The high priority
> updates with IE7 still had Installation Failure same as with IE6. Some
> update types are working others are not.
>
> Do you know what Error Code Installation Failure 0x80092002 means?
> Searched for it on MS and nothing found.
>
> Don't know what else to try. My PC seems to be working fine apart from
> not
> being able to install high priority updates.

>> If you disable Spybot Tea Timer (see
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409) and/or KAV7, do the updates
>> install?
>> --
>> Alt Beer wrote:
>>> Yes I have renamed the Software Distribution folder.
>>> Still get Installation Failure 0x80092002.
>>>
>>> I have also tried running Dial-a-fix and still get Installation Failure
>>> 0x80092002 on the following updates:
>>>
>>> (KB947864)
>>> (KB941693)
>>> (KB948590)
>>> (KB944338)
>>> (KB945553)
>>> (KB948881)
>>>
>>> Anything else to try or do I wait for new update releases?
>>>
>>> I have already tried:
>>> sfc /scannow to check system files
>>> re-installed Auto Update as described in KB943144 (method 1 and 2)

TaurArian

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
Try disabling not pausing KAV7 and see if that makes a difference.

The nearest I could come to the meaning of the error code -
0x80092002 An error occurred during encode or decode operation. CRYPT_E_BAD_ENCODE

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows
2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Multiple symptoms occur if an antivirus scan occurs while the Wsusscan.cab file is copied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900638

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

"Alt Beer" <example@example.com> wrote in message
| Disabled Tea Timer, ran ResetTeaTimer.bat, ran Dial-a-fix Flush Software
| Distribution (delete ALL files) Paused protection on KAV7 still
| Installation Failure 0x80092002 on all six updates.
|
| I tried selecting an update for Outlook junk mail filter (even though I
| don't
| use Outlook and had the offered update hidden) The update downloaded ok
| without error. I ghosted my HD to a spare HD and selected the IE7 upgrade
| (I was using IE6). It downloaded and installed fine. The high priority
| updates with IE7 still had Installation Failure same as with IE6. Some
| update types are working others are not.
|
| Do you know what Error Code Installation Failure 0x80092002 means?
| Searched for it on MS and nothing found.
|
| Don't know what else to try. My PC seems to be working fine apart from not
| being able to install high priority updates.
|

| "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > If you disable Spybot Tea Timer (see
| > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409) and/or KAV7, do the updates
| > install?
| > --
| > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
| > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
| > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
| >
| > Alt Beer wrote:
| >> Yes I have renamed the Software Distribution folder.
| >> Still get Installation Failure 0x80092002.
| >>
| >> I have also tried running Dial-a-fix and still get Installation Failure
| >> 0x80092002 on the following updates:
| >>
| >> (KB947864)
| >> (KB941693)
| >> (KB948590)
| >> (KB944338)
| >> (KB945553)
| >> (KB948881)
| >>
| >> Anything else to try or do I wait for new update releases?
| >>
| >> I have already tried:
| >> sfc /scannow to check system files
| >> re-installed Auto Update as described in KB943144 (method 1 and 2)
| >>
| >> Thanks

Alt Beer

Re: Installation Failure 0x80092002
I completely uninstalled KAV7, re-ran Dial-a-fix, Flush Software
Distribution (delete ALL files) and am still getting Installation Failure
0x80092002 on all critical updates. The Killbits update took quite some
minutes at the installation phase before it failed. The others failed much
sooner into the commencement of the installation phase.

I raised a support incident request on 16 or 17 April but so far there have
been more suggestions received via windowsupdate group.

I have not made any changes to my PC in months, no repair installations etc.
The April updates are the first time I experienced any problem with
updating.

Thanks
XP Pro, SP2, IE6
Kav7, Spybot SD