Can't update

Batty

Can't update
Hi - am not the sharpest knife in the draw, but I am being driven nuts as I
am unable to update automatically - just keeps on searching and searching. I
am on Vista, Internet Explorer 7 take size 5 shoes and other than that no
idea why it won't behave - any simple explaination would be most welcome.

Thanks :-)

Re: Can't update
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

=====================

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

===========================

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
• CA:
• UK:
• AU:
• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Batty wrote:
> Hi - am not the sharpest knife in the draw, but I am being driven nuts as
> am unable to update automatically - just keeps on searching and searching.
> I am on Vista, Internet Explorer 7 take size 5 shoes and other than that
> no
> idea why it won't behave - any simple explaination would be most welcome.

Batty

Re: Can't update
Hi PA Bear - thanks I will try to go through your list of solutions - I can
download them manually and there's no problem with that - just that when it
is on automatically download it can't seem to find the link. Will keep on
trying. Many thanks :-)