Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails

Dawn

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
Hi,

I've tried twice to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
(KB110806) (update 2 of 2) but it keeps failing.

The first update (1 of 2) installs fine, but about half way through the
second update (listed above) the installation fails.

And because I am unable to install both of the updates, my USPS Shipping
Assistant software will not work and I need it for my business.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brightest Blessings,

Dawn
TaurArian

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/

"Dawn" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried twice to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
> (KB110806) (update 2 of 2) but it keeps failing.
>
> The first update (1 of 2) installs fine, but about half way through the
> second update (listed above) the installation fails.
>
> And because I am unable to install both of the updates, my USPS Shipping
> Assistant software will not work and I need it for my business.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Brightest Blessings,
>
> Dawn

Dawn

RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
TaurArian,

Thank you for the reply, but I've looked at both of the links you provided
and neither helped me with KB110806.

I apologize in advance for being computer illiterate, but can you please
provide more detailed instructions as to how to successfully instal these two
updates.

Thank you in advance.

Dawn

"TaurArian" wrote:

> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> whether service packs have been applied
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>
> How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/
>

> "Dawn" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've tried twice to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
> > (KB110806) (update 2 of 2) but it keeps failing.
> >
> > The first update (1 of 2) installs fine, but about half way through the
> > second update (listed above) the installation fails.
> >
> > And because I am unable to install both of the updates, my USPS Shipping
> > Assistant software will not work and I need it for my business.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Brightest Blessings,
> >
> > Dawn

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
[In line]

Dawn wrote:

> TaurArian,
>
> Thank you for the reply, but I've looked at both of the links you provided
> and neither helped me with KB110806.
>
> I apologize in advance for being computer illiterate, but can you please
> provide more detailed instructions as to how to successfully instal these
> two updates.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Dawn

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
"When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0,
you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error
code "1603"".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
My home: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
>> whether service packs have been applied
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation issues
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/
>>

>> "Dawn" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've tried twice to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service
>>> Pack 1 (KB110806) (update 2 of 2) but it keeps failing.
>>>
>>> The first update (1 of 2) installs fine, but about half way through the
>>> second update (listed above) the installation fails.
>>>
>>> And because I am unable to install both of the updates, my USPS Shipping
>>> Assistant software will not work and I need it for my business.
>>>
>>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Brightest Blessings,
>>>
>>> Dawn

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
Just to add from a posting of MowGreen's -

I've dealt with .NET Security updates installation issues by using the
advice posted by the .NET guru, Aaron Stebner. Since I get paid for this
type of work, I can tell you that it is the fastest, least dangerous
method to getting this issue resolved -

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx

Aaron suggests one attempt uninstalling the .NET Frameworks via
Add/Remove Programs. If that does not work, then use the Automated
cleanup tool.
* NOTE *: Any software that requires a specific .NET Framework in order
for it to run should be shut down and Disabled from starting on a
reboot. This will eliminate error messages on the reboot and make it
facilitate Removing the affected .NET Framework via Add/Remove Programs.

After rebooting, run the Windows Installer Cleanup tool and follow the
steps laid out in the MSKB that PA Bear posted *IF* you could Remove the
...NET Frameworks via Add/Remove Programs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

IF the Automated cleanup tool was used because a .NET Framework could
not be Removed via ARP, then there is *no need* to run the Windows
Installer Cleanup tool.

Then redownload the .NET Frameworks that were uninstalled from the
Microsoft Download Center and SAVE them.
Input .NET Framework x in the Search field and click Go:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?

Recommend creating a folder for the .NET Frameworks on the root drive
[ the drive where Windows is installed to ], naming it DotNet, and
moving the downloaded runtimes and subsequent downloaded Security
updates/ Service Packs to that folder.
YMMV, but it's worked flawlessly for clients' systems for the past year.

Install the .NET Frameworks ONE at a time, restarting if requested to.
[ You will need to create a subfolder in the DotNet folder in order to
install both .NET 1.0 and 1.1 as the installer is the same name for both
runtimes ]
Reboot *each* time that you are requested to.

After all the desired runtimes are installed, go to the Windows or
Microsoft Update sites. After the site loads do a CUSTOM scan for needed
updates. Write down the KB numbers of the ones that are suggested AND---
* the order in which they are listed *

Then visit the Microsoft Update Catalog -
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Enter the KB article number in the Search box and click Search.
[ex: KB110806 ]
*Make sure* you download the correct runtime updates/service packs for
XP 32 bit [x86]. You can confirm this by checking for
Architecture: X86
on the Update Details page when you click on an update.
When you locate the correct ones, click the Add to Basket button for
each of them. Then click the Close button.
Enter the next KB number, repeat, lather, rinse <w>
Click the Go to Download basket link and then click the Download button.
Follow the prompts.

When you've downloaded them all, move them to the DotNet folder and
install them in the order they were listed on the Windows/Microsoft
Update sites. ALWAYS reboot if/when requested to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:

> [In line]
>
> Dawn wrote:
>
> > TaurArian,
> >
> > Thank you for the reply, but I've looked at both of the links you provided
> > and neither helped me with KB110806.
> >
> > I apologize in advance for being computer illiterate, but can you please
> > provide more detailed instructions as to how to successfully instal these
> > two updates.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Dawn

> See:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
> "When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0,
> you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error
> code "1603"".
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My home: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/
>
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> >> How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
> >> whether service packs have been applied
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation issues
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
Is CounterSpy installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dawn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried twice to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack
> 1
> (KB110806) (update 2 of 2) but it keeps failing.
>
> The first update (1 of 2) installs fine, but about half way through the
> second update (listed above) the installation fails.
>
> And because I am unable to install both of the updates, my USPS Shipping
> Assistant software will not work and I need it for my business.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Brightest Blessings,
>
> Dawn

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

TaurArian wrote:
> [...]
>
> Then visit the Microsoft Update Catalog -
> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
>
> Enter the KB article number in the Search box and click Search.
> [ex: KB110806 ]
> *Make sure* you download the correct runtime updates/service packs for
> XP 32 bit [x86]. You can confirm this by checking for
> Architecture: X86
> on the Update Details page when you click on an update.
> When you locate the correct ones, click the Add to Basket button for
> each of them. Then click the Close button.
> Enter the next KB number, repeat, lather, rinse <w>
> Click the Go to Download basket link and then click the Download button.
> Follow the prompts.
>
> When you've downloaded them all, move them to the DotNet folder and
> install them in the order they were listed on the Windows/Microsoft
> Update sites. ALWAYS reboot if/when requested to.

Thank you, Kaylene.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
My home: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

> "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [In line]
>>
>> Dawn wrote:
>>
>>> TaurArian,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the reply, but I've looked at both of the links you
>>> provided and neither helped me with KB110806.
>>>
>>> I apologize in advance for being computer illiterate, but can you please
>>> provide more detailed instructions as to how to successfully instal
>>> these two updates.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Dawn

>> See:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
>> "When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, or
>> 2.0, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows
>> Installer error code "1603"".
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My home: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
Not a problem, jump in anytime, your help is appreciated Vincenzo.

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote:

> [In line]
>>

> Thank you, Kaylene.
>
> --
> Vincenzo Di Russo
> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
> My home: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Bob Levin

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
Hi TaurArian: I read your post from Thursday the 17th. I ran the cleanup
tool -bummer- it removed Net Framework 2.0 ok., however, now i can not
install it. When I go to" windows update",it says I don't need any updates.
Now none of the microsoft office programs will run at all . they no longer
open up. I'm in a semi panic now. You may not read this until Monday. I am
now going to "restore ". I hope it works. Bob Levin

"TaurArian" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > TaurArian,
> > >
> > > Thank you for the reply, but I've looked at both of the links you provided
> > > and neither helped me with KB110806.
> > >
> > > I apologize in advance for being computer illiterate, but can you please
> > > provide more detailed instructions as to how to successfully instal these
> > > two updates.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > >
> > > Dawn

> > See:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
> > "When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0,
> > you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error
> > code "1603"".
> >
> > --
> > Vincenzo Di Russo
> > Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
> > Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security

Bob Levin

Re: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation fails
well my worst nightmare came true : "Restore" didn't work. It said I hadn't
made any changes to my computer. I guess un-installing Net Framework 2.0
KB110806 was not considered a change "windows update" says there are no
updates for my computer available. I have no version of Net Framework at all
now. No wonder microsoft office applications are not working.
Well Mr. TaurArian. No wonder you said use this cleanup tool as a
last resort. It was my last resort though. "Add or Remove Programs" didn't
work to un-install the Net Framework so I had to use the cleanup tool you
recommended. Well I'm really stuck now. Please reply if you have any
possible options I may have. Thanks much
Bob Levin 805-443-4017