updating xp with sp2

alex g

updating xp with sp2
I can't get xp sp2 to install . it gives me error codes of different kinds. I
believe I may have some registry issues due to a virus(s) or trojan. What can
I do to fix the problem ?? Any help would be great !!
TaurArian

RE: updating xp with sp2
Suggest you get rid of the virus/trojans first.

Then once the system is clean of virus/trojans/malware etc, then try. If
you're getting error codes, perhaps provide details of the error codes.

Thank you.

"alex g" wrote:

> I can't get xp sp2 to install . it gives me error codes of different kinds. I
> believe I may have some registry issues due to a virus(s) or trojan. What can
> I do to fix the problem ?? Any help would be great !!

alex g

RE: updating xp with sp2
I ran a scan for viruses, Ran jv 16 power tools registry cleaner. No viruses
were found. The registry is in good health. I ran the update and got the
ACCESS IS DENIED display. I've been trying to load sp2 for a while. In
earlier forums they said to edit DWORD in registry and that didn't work
either. Any suggestions??

Thanks

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Suggest you get rid of the virus/trojans first.
>
> Then once the system is clean of virus/trojans/malware etc, then try. If
> you're getting error codes, perhaps provide details of the error codes.
>
> Thank you.
>

> "alex g" wrote:
>
> > I can't get xp sp2 to install . it gives me error codes of different kinds. I
> > believe I may have some registry issues due to a virus(s) or trojan. What can
> > I do to fix the problem ?? Any help would be great !!

TaurArian

Re: updating xp with sp2
You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service
Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148

"Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"alex g" <alexg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I ran a scan for viruses, Ran jv 16 power tools registry cleaner. No viruses
| were found. The registry is in good health. I ran the update and got the
| ACCESS IS DENIED display. I've been trying to load sp2 for a while. In
| earlier forums they said to edit DWORD in registry and that didn't work
| either. Any suggestions??
|
| Thanks
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Suggest you get rid of the virus/trojans first.
| >
| > Then once the system is clean of virus/trojans/malware etc, then try. If
| > you're getting error codes, perhaps provide details of the error codes.
| >
| > Thank you.
| >

| > "alex g" wrote:
| >
| > > I can't get xp sp2 to install . it gives me error codes of different kinds. I
| > > believe I may have some registry issues due to a virus(s) or trojan. What can
| > > I do to fix the problem ?? Any help would be great !!

alex g

Re: updating xp with sp2
I'll give these tips a try and let you know what happens thanks again for the
info. Wish me luck. This is great practice for me. I'm in school right now
taking the A+ certification course.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP Service
> Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148
>
> "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "alex g" <alexg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I ran a scan for viruses, Ran jv 16 power tools registry cleaner. No viruses
> | were found. The registry is in good health. I ran the update and got the
> | ACCESS IS DENIED display. I've been trying to load sp2 for a while. In
> | earlier forums they said to edit DWORD in registry and that didn't work
> | either. Any suggestions??
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | "TaurArian" wrote:
> |
> | > Suggest you get rid of the virus/trojans first.
> | >
> | > Then once the system is clean of virus/trojans/malware etc, then try. If
> | > you're getting error codes, perhaps provide details of the error codes.
> | >
> | > Thank you.

TaurArian

Re: updating xp with sp2
Good luck.

--

| I'll give these tips a try and let you know what happens thanks again for the
| info. Wish me luck. This is great practice for me. I'm in school right now
| taking the A+ certification course.
|
| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP
Service
| > Pack 2
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148
| >
| > "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
| > http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8125
| >

| > --
| >
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org
| > ======================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "alex g" <alexg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > |I ran a scan for viruses, Ran jv 16 power tools registry cleaner. No viruses
| > | were found. The registry is in good health. I ran the update and got the
| > | ACCESS IS DENIED display. I've been trying to load sp2 for a while. In
| > | earlier forums they said to edit DWORD in registry and that didn't work
| > | either. Any suggestions??
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |