Vista SP1 not being offered by WU

NickT

Vista SP1 not being offered by WU
Today I decided to try and install Vista SP1 as I got impatient waiting for
it to be offered via Automatic Update. So I turned Automatic update off,
checked for updates and still nothing. What can be wrong? One possible reason
is an update that keeps installing itself every day for some reason. It reads

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

This update installs OK but then next time I run WU I see it scheduled to
install again. Can this be holding up SP1 offer perhaps.

Grateful for a reply as I can't start Beta testing of WMC Beta 1 where I am
one of the selected testers.
TaurArian

Re: Vista SP1 not being offered by WU
1. Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Have you checked the Known Issues -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

2. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and
is not offered by Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

3. Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx

4. Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
5. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
2009.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"NickT" <NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsAB293EB-7F8C-4A18-9A53-EB2049ECC9AA@microsoft.com...
| Today I decided to try and install Vista SP1 as I got impatient waiting for
| it to be offered via Automatic Update. So I turned Automatic update off,
| checked for updates and still nothing. What can be wrong? One possible reason
| is an update that keeps installing itself every day for some reason. It reads
|
| Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
|
| This update installs OK but then next time I run WU I see it scheduled to
| install again. Can this be holding up SP1 offer perhaps.
|
| Grateful for a reply as I can't start Beta testing of WMC Beta 1 where I am
| one of the selected testers.

NickT

Re: Vista SP1 not being offered by WU
Thanks for the comprehesive list below. I fixed the problem with the Security
Update (1) but afterwards still could not get SP1 via WU. I've checked all
other refs you provided and don't have issues. On problematic driver list I
do have a Sigmatel driver but this is higher level than ones havng problems.
No other drivers. So now where do I go next? Grateful for advice.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> 1. Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
> Update or on Windows Update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
>
> Have you checked the Known Issues -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>
> 2. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and
> is not offered by Automatic Updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
>
> 3. Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
>
> 4. Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
> 5. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
> 2009.
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "NickT" <NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsAB293EB-7F8C-4A18-9A53-EB2049ECC9AA@microsoft.com...
> | Today I decided to try and install Vista SP1 as I got impatient waiting for
> | it to be offered via Automatic Update. So I turned Automatic update off,
> | checked for updates and still nothing. What can be wrong? One possible reason
> | is an update that keeps installing itself every day for some reason. It reads
> |
> | Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
> |
> | This update installs OK but then next time I run WU I see it scheduled to
> | install again. Can this be holding up SP1 offer perhaps.
> |
> | Grateful for a reply as I can't start Beta testing of WMC Beta 1 where I am
> | one of the selected testers.

TaurArian

Re: Vista SP1 not being offered by WU
Sigmatel driver is the problem -
http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archiv...-yet-here.aspx

Lots of complaints:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...p1+vista&meta=

"NickT" wrote:

> Thanks for the comprehesive list below. I fixed the problem with the Security
> Update (1) but afterwards still could not get SP1 via WU. I've checked all
> other refs you provided and don't have issues. On problematic driver list I
> do have a Sigmatel driver but this is higher level than ones havng problems.
> No other drivers. So now where do I go next? Grateful for advice.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > 1. Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > (KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
> > Update or on Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
> >
> > Have you checked the Known Issues -
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
> >
> > 2. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and
> > is not offered by Automatic Updates:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
> >
> > 3. Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
> >
> > 4. Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
> > 5. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
> > Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
> > 2009.
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921
> >

> > --
> >
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > ======================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >

> > "NickT" <NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > newsAB293EB-7F8C-4A18-9A53-EB2049ECC9AA@microsoft.com...
> > | Today I decided to try and install Vista SP1 as I got impatient waiting for
> > | it to be offered via Automatic Update. So I turned Automatic update off,
> > | checked for updates and still nothing. What can be wrong? One possible reason
> > | is an update that keeps installing itself every day for some reason. It reads
> > |
> > | Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
> > |
> > | This update installs OK but then next time I run WU I see it scheduled to
> > | install again. Can this be holding up SP1 offer perhaps.
> > |
> > | Grateful for a reply as I can't start Beta testing of WMC Beta 1 where I am
> > | one of the selected testers.

NickT

Re: Vista SP1 not being offered by WU
Thanks for this. I have a Dell 9200 and I can't see that the newer Sigmatel
driver offered via links is suitable for my machine. I also note that
Logitech webcam drivers are incompatible with MS driver and that MS need to
fix a problem in their software first. So maybe it is this that is holding
SP1 back. Comments and advice most welcome.

Thanks

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Sigmatel driver is the problem -
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archiv...-yet-here.aspx
>
> Lots of complaints:
> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...p1+vista&meta=
>

> "NickT" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the comprehesive list below. I fixed the problem with the Security
> > Update (1) but afterwards still could not get SP1 via WU. I've checked all
> > other refs you provided and don't have issues. On problematic driver list I
> > do have a Sigmatel driver but this is higher level than ones havng problems.
> > No other drivers. So now where do I go next? Grateful for advice.
> >
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > > (KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
> > > Update or on Windows Update:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
> > >
> > > Have you checked the Known Issues -
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
> > >
> > > 2. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and
> > > is not offered by Automatic Updates:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
> > >
> > > 3. Things to know before you download Windows Vista SP1
> > > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb968859.aspx
> > >
> > > 4. Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
> > > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...6f2021033.mspx
> > > 5. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
> > > Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
> > > 2009.
> > > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
> > > http://taurarian.mvps.org
> > > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> > >

> > > "NickT" <NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > newsAB293EB-7F8C-4A18-9A53-EB2049ECC9AA@microsoft.com...

TaurArian

Re: Vista SP1 not being offered by WU
Check with Dell, I think I read something on the Vista Newsgroups about a
driver that Dell was providing for Sigmatel.