RE: Error code 0x80080008

marcus

RE: Error code 0x80080008
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 943144
Last Review : October 26, 2007
Revision : 2.3
On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows

Method 2: Download and install the Windows Update Agent

AgentWindows, x86-based systems

Windows, x64-based systems

Windows, Itanium-based systems

STATUS
SYMPTOMS
When you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the
Microsoft Update Web site, or by using the Automatic Updates feature, you
receive a message that states that the update or the updates were not
installed successfully. However, the updates are not displayed in the Update
History part of the Web site.

You experience this problem if the following conditions are both true:• You
try to update a computer that is running Windows XP.
• You have repaired the Windows XP installation by using the Windows XP CD.

Back to the top

CAUSE
This problem occurs because of how the Windows XP repair operation replaces
Windows system files. When you repair a Windows installation by using a
Windows XP CD, the repair operation performs both of the following
operations:• It replaces all the Windows system files with the corresponding
files from the CD.

Note This includes the Windows Update files.
• It restores the Windows registry.
The latest version of Windows Update includes a file that was not available
in the release version of Windows XP. This file is named Wups2.dll.
Therefore, after the repair operation is complete, the following situation
exists:• The Wups2.dll file remains on the computer.
• The registry entries that correspond to this file are missing.
Because the registry files that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are
missing, update installations are unsuccessful.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.
Back to the top

Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:1. Stop the
Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start,
click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:a. At the
command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition,
type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following
command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv
4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.

Back to the top

Method 2: Download and install the Windows Update Agent
To resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1. Download the appropriate
version of the Windows Update Agent to a known location. To do this, visit
one of the following Web sites.
AgentWindows, x86-based systems
http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x64.exe
(http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x64.exe)
Windows, Itanium-based systems
http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...ent30-ia64.exe
(http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...ent30-ia64.exe)
2. Click Start, click Run, click Browse, locate the file that you saved in
step 1, and then click Open.
3. Add the /wuforce switch to the end of the run command, and then click OK.
For example, the run command may appear as the following:
C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce
4. Click Run.
5. Follow the steps to complete the wizard.

"waddelljim" wrote:

> I have 78 updates that download but won't install. I repaired my XP with a
> new XP full edition & now it won't install the updates. All previous updates
> were removed when I repaired with the new version? Help

Helped

RE: Error code 0x80080008