Microsoft update so slow

tmeesa

Microsoft update so slow
I have windows XP SP2. I reformatted my computer now microsoft update is
SOOO slow (2bytes per second vs 3MB per second on other websites) Any help?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Microsoft update so slow
tmeesa wrote:
> I have windows XP SP2. I reformatted my computer now microsoft
> update is SOOO slow (2bytes per second vs 3MB per second on other
> websites) Any help?

TRACERT and PATHPING show?

What about tesing your high-speed connection via several of the many 'speed
test' web sites out there to see what the variance is between them and what
your true average speed is?

Also - if you download an update individually (for example - good test would
be to grab the entire SP2 installation file - you can erase it when done) -
how long does it take?

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Example: It took me 45 seconds to get the SP2 file on one computer with a
really nice connection... On another with a decent connection, it took
nearly 20 minutes...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

Re: Microsoft update so slow

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> TRACERT and PATHPING show?
>
> What about tesing your high-speed connection via several of the
> many 'speed test' web sites out there to see what the variance is
> between them and what your true average speed is?
>
> Also - if you download an update individually (for example - good
> test would be to grab the entire SP2 installation file - you can
> erase it when done) - how long does it take?
>
> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
> http://snipurl.com/8bqy
>
> Example: It took me 45 seconds to get the SP2 file on one computer
> with a really nice connection... On another with a decent
> connection, it took nearly 20 minutes...

In addition, since you mentioned, "... I reformatted my computer ...", have
you also downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your motherboard
chipset and network card (specifically those two for now) from the
associated hardware vendors website for each of those products for Windows
XP?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

tmeesa

Re: Microsoft update so slow
It took 23 minutes to download SP2 from the site you listed. If I use
"Microsoft Update", a 4mb file took 7 hours. It only seems to be slow when
using Microsoft update.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> tmeesa wrote:
> > I have windows XP SP2. I reformatted my computer now microsoft
> > update is SOOO slow (2bytes per second vs 3MB per second on other
> > websites) Any help?

> TRACERT and PATHPING show?
>
> What about tesing your high-speed connection via several of the many 'speed
> test' web sites out there to see what the variance is between them and what
> your true average speed is?
>
> Also - if you download an update individually (for example - good test would
> be to grab the entire SP2 installation file - you can erase it when done) -
> how long does it take?
>
> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
> http://snipurl.com/8bqy
>
> Example: It took me 45 seconds to get the SP2 file on one computer with a
> really nice connection... On another with a decent connection, it took
> nearly 20 minutes...
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

TaurArian

Re: Microsoft update so slow
Perhaps it simply a case of too many trying to access MU at the same time.
In other words, a bit of stress on the servers.