Windows Update failing in XP Pro with error 0x8024D007

Ponti1

Windows Update failing in XP Pro with error 0x8024D007
I like many others am getting the subject error in my XP Pro w/ SP2. So
Windows Update will not work. Please let me know what information I can
provide to isolate the source of the problem. I have already manually started
BITS, and have tried removing the contents of
%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution.

Thanks,
-Andy
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update failing in XP Pro with error 0x8024D007
Ponti1 wrote:
> I like many others am getting the subject error in my XP Pro w/
> SP2. So Windows Update will not work. Please let me know what
> information I can provide to isolate the source of the problem. I
> have already manually started BITS, and have tried removing the
> contents of %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution.

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

(Try it even if you did a clean, not repair, installation.)
(Try it even if you performed some sort of restore - not repair install.)
(Try it even if you did an upgrade installation.)
(Heck - try even if you think nothing in the description fits...)

Do all suggested methods. Hope that helps!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ponti1

Re: Windows Update failing in XP Pro with error 0x8024D007
I am trying to walk through what you've suggested, and get the following
while trying to register wups2.dll:

DllRegisterServer in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll failed.
The return code was 0x80070005

Ponti1 wrote:
> I am trying to walk through what you've suggested, and get the
> following while trying to register wups2.dll:
>
> DllRegisterServer in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll failed.
> The return code was 0x80070005

Are you logged into the computer with an account that has full
administrative abilities?

You Receive a "DllRegisterServer" Error When You Try to Register a DLL by
Using Regsvr32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827659

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Ponti1

Re: Windows Update failing in XP Pro with error 0x8024D007
Ran the registry permission fix per instructions, and was then able to
register all the DLLs successfully. After those steps, Windows Update now
works as expected! Thanks you!!!