Windows Update KB938371 (rel 8April 2008) multiple failures error 80073712

Allan D

Windows Update KB938371 (rel 8April 2008) multiple failures error 80073712
Hi folks,

system is

Vista Ultimate 32 bit

AMD athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6000+
Abit AM2 SLI AN932x Nvidia Nforce 680a SLI
2 gig system ram

this has been driving me crazy. on April 9 I was prompted to install several
updates, all of which downloaded and installed with no problems with the
exception of KB938371 which continues to fail with error code 80073712.

on April 10 and 11 and 14th I sucessfully downloaded and installed optional
updates from windows update!

behaviour is that if i use windows update to download this update it shows
me the "downloading 1of 1 updates, but the percentage never increases and it
eventually fails with error code 80073712.

i have heard that this is a corrpted download error code, and have tried
multiple work arounds to include;

search for and delete pending.xml from \windows\winsxs (does not exist)

dowload and istall the standalone file (fails after long pause without
indication it has installed)

run the following commands in command line as administrator

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SD.old

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

the result of which my update options were reset and when i tried to use
windows update it did begin to download, and when it got to 5% it stopped
and failed on error 80073712. subsequent tries would revert to not
downloading at all then failing.

deleted the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders/ stopped and started
the wuauserv and Cryptsvc services again and tried the standalone (failed)

repeated above and tried to install stand alone SP1 (fails no error)

i really dont want to reformat and install vista again so that i can receive
this one troublesome update. unfortunately this update is a pre requisite
for service pack 1.

in my installed updates list i note that i had this particular update
installed back on the 14 Feb 2008... and i cannot uninstall this version to
install the new version. i suspect that perhaps the existing update is
interfering with the new update?

successful updates on the same date as the initial failure of KB938371 are

KB941693
KB945553
KB947864
KB948950
KB948881
KB905866

successful update on the next day (10 April)
KB943729

successful update on 11 April
KB 937954

successful update 14 April
KB905866

for these reasons i dont think windows update is the actual problem, rather
the particular update itself which refuses to download, and refuses to
install from the standalone.

i have tried perhaps 15 times to install KB938371 no luck so far.

thoughts?

Allan

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update KB938371 (rel 8April 2008) multiple failures error 80073712
Did you try reinstalling the Windows Update Agent - see below link
A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18,
2009.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Allan D" <adichris@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> [...]
| interfering with the new update?
|
| successful updates on the same date as the initial failure of KB938371 are
|
| KB941693
| KB945553
| KB947864
| KB948950
| KB948881
| KB905866
|
| successful update on the next day (10 April)
| KB943729
|
| successful update on 11 April
| KB 937954
|
| successful update 14 April
| KB905866
|
| for these reasons i dont think windows update is the actual problem, rather
| the particular update itself which refuses to download, and refuses to
| install from the standalone.
|
| i have tried perhaps 15 times to install KB938371 no luck so far.

Allan D

Re: Windows Update KB938371 (rel 8April 2008) multiple failures error 80073712
Hi Taur.

i downloaded and installed the new windows agent from the link below. it
made no difference, when trying to update from windows update it stayed at
downloading 0% then failed with error code 80073712

also since updates were successfully downloaded and installed AFTER my
initial failure and in between subsequent failures.. i fail to see how the
new Update agent would have any bearing on this... however i am willing at
this point to try anything short of a total re-install of Vista.

Any other ideas?

Allan

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> | KB947864
> | KB948950
> | KB948881
> | KB905866
> |
> | successful update on the next day (10 April)
> | KB943729
> |
> | successful update on 11 April
> | KB 937954
> |
> | successful update 14 April
> | KB905866
> |
> | for these reasons i dont think windows update is the actual problem,
> rather
> | the particular update itself which refuses to download, and refuses to
> | install from the standalone.
> |
> | i have tried perhaps 15 times to install KB938371 no luck so far.
> |
> | thoughts?
> |
> | Allan

TaurArian

Re: Windows Update KB938371 (rel 8April 2008) multiple failures error 80073712
Next step -

| Hi Taur.
|
| i downloaded and installed the new windows agent from the link below. it
| made no difference, when trying to update from windows update it stayed at
| downloading 0% then failed with error code 80073712
|
| also since updates were successfully downloaded and installed AFTER my
| initial failure and in between subsequent failures.. i fail to see how the
| new Update agent would have any bearing on this... however i am willing at
| this point to try anything short of a total re-install of Vista.
|
| Any other ideas?
|
| Allan
|
| "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > Did you try reinstalling the Windows Update Agent - see below link
| > A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
| >
| > Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (All Languages)
| > Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge
| > until March 18,
| > 2009.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921

| > --
| >
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org
| > ======================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "Allan D" <adichris@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
| > | Hi folks,
| > |
| > | system is
| > |
| > | Vista Ultimate 32 bit
| > |
| > | AMD athlon 64x2 Dual Core 6000+
| > | Abit AM2 SLI AN932x Nvidia Nforce 680a SLI
| > | 2 gig system ram
| > |
| > |
| > | this has been driving me crazy. on April 9 I was prompted to install
| > several
| > | updates, all of which downloaded and installed with no problems with the
| > | exception of KB938371 which continues to fail with error code 80073712.
| > |
| > | on April 10 and 11 and 14th I sucessfully downloaded and installed
| > optional
| > | updates from windows update!
| > |
| > | behaviour is that if i use windows update to download this update it
| > shows
| > | me the "downloading 1of 1 updates, but the percentage never increases
| > and it
| > | eventually fails with error code 80073712.
| > |
| > | i have heard that this is a corrpted download error code, and have tried
| > | multiple work arounds to include;
| > |
| > | search for and delete pending.xml from \windows\winsxs (does not exist)
| > |
| > | dowload and istall the standalone file (fails after long pause without
| > | indication it has installed)
| > |
| > | run the following commands in command line as administrator
| > |
| > | net stop wuauserv
| > |
| > | net stop Cryptsvc
| > |
| > | ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SD.old
| > |
| > | ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
| > |
| > | net start wuauserv
| > |
| > | net start Cryptsvc
| > |
| > | the result of which my update options were reset and when i tried to use
| > | windows update it did begin to download, and when it got to 5% it
| > stopped
| > | and failed on error 80073712. subsequent tries would revert to not
| > | downloading at all then failing.
| > |
| > | deleted the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders/ stopped and
| > started
| > | the wuauserv and Cryptsvc services again and tried the standalone
| > (failed)
| > |
| > | repeated above and tried to install stand alone SP1 (fails no error)
| > |
| > | i really dont want to reformat and install vista again so that i can
| > receive
| > | this one troublesome update. unfortunately this update is a pre
| > requisite
| > | for service pack 1.
| > |
| > | in my installed updates list i note that i had this particular update
| > | installed back on the 14 Feb 2008... and i cannot uninstall this version
| > | install the new version. i suspect that perhaps the existing update is
| > | interfering with the new update?
| > |
| > | successful updates on the same date as the initial failure of KB938371
| > are
| > |
| > | KB941693
| > | KB945553
| > | KB947864
| > | KB948950
| > | KB948881
| > | KB905866
| > |
| > | successful update on the next day (10 April)
| > | KB943729
| > |
| > | successful update on 11 April
| > | KB 937954
| > |
| > | successful update 14 April
| > | KB905866
| > |
| > | for these reasons i dont think windows update is the actual problem,
| > rather
| > | the particular update itself which refuses to download, and refuses to
| > | install from the standalone.
| > |
| > | i have tried perhaps 15 times to install KB938371 no luck so far.
| > |
| > | thoughts?
| > |
| > | Allan