Uninstalling an Update

sunshine

Uninstalling an Update
Since about Thusday nights automatic installs when I try to get onto windows
it says "Internet Explorer cannot display webpage". I was able to restore to
an earlier date and then I could get onto the internet. Next morning...same
thing. It wasn't until today that I installed each update seperately. They
went fine until I updated the one that said "cumalative security update for
Internet Explorer 7 for widows XP " Kb947864. Bam..can't get on again. And
now..I can't restore back to a point far enough to not have the updates
already there. So..how can I uninstall this update or fix my issue..

I use my computer for work and this is killing me. I'm on my son's now.

Thanks!
SG

Re: Uninstalling an Update
Hi,

See if this site can help you....
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...ows-ie7-k.aspx

If not try a Google search for.....
uninstall Kb947864

Also and I can't stress strongly enough before you install "anything" on
your system create Restore Point.

--
All the best,
SG

Is your computer system ready for Vista?
https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

"sunshine" <sunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since about Thusday nights automatic installs when I try to get onto
> windows
> it says "Internet Explorer cannot display webpage". I was able to restore
> an earlier date and then I could get onto the internet. Next
> morning...same
> thing. It wasn't until today that I installed each update seperately. They
> went fine until I updated the one that said "cumalative security update
> for
> Internet Explorer 7 for widows XP " Kb947864. Bam..can't get on again. And
> now..I can't restore back to a point far enough to not have the updates
> already there. So..how can I uninstall this update or fix my issue..
>
> I use my computer for work and this is killing me. I'm on my son's now.
>
> Thanks!

TaurArian

Re: Uninstalling an Update
See if this is related - Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7
update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"sunshine" <sunshine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Since about Thusday nights automatic installs when I try to get onto windows
| it says "Internet Explorer cannot display webpage". I was able to restore to
| an earlier date and then I could get onto the internet. Next morning...same
| thing. It wasn't until today that I installed each update seperately. They
| went fine until I updated the one that said "cumalative security update for
| Internet Explorer 7 for widows XP " Kb947864. Bam..can't get on again. And
| now..I can't restore back to a point far enough to not have the updates
| already there. So..how can I uninstall this update or fix my issue..
|
| I use my computer for work and this is killing me. I'm on my son's now.
|
| Thanks!

Re: Uninstalling an Update
Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/