Malicious software removal tool

Howard B

Malicious software removal tool
Hello, everyone,

I automatic updates turned on, and almost daily, the alert to download the
Malicious Software Removal Tool comes up. I have downloaded it, it says it's
installed successfully (April 2008), but within hours the alert to download
it pops up again. This has only been for the April 2008 update

Anyone else seeing it? How does one stop this short of not having automatic
updates?
Engel

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Hello Howard,

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – (KB890830) MRT

Run in safe mode.

Delete Cookies and Temp Files and included all offline cºntent
Empty your IE cache
To run in safe mode.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt
< http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>

Reboot

Run a Full scan with MRT
Probably the scan take time, so go and enjoy a cup of coffe during the scan.

The programme can be found at C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe ; MRT standing for
MicroSoft Removal Tool.

I find it easier to create a "short-cut icon" and locate the icon on my
"desktop"...... a double click and away she goes.
The icon is apt in design being the image of a Window with accompanying
sponge and soap suds.
If you don't believe me test by executing/running MRT upper or lower case
letters makes no difference,
Also you can double click C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe and select the scan.

After finish the scan Reboot

Let us know if you still have the problem.

Good luck
- -- ---

"Howard B" wrote:

> Hello, everyone,
>

> I automatic updates turned on, and almost daily, the alert to download the
> Malicious Software Removal Tool comes up. I have downloaded it, it says it's
> installed successfully (April 2008), but within hours the alert to download
> it pops up again. This has only been for the April 2008 update
>
> Anyone else seeing it? How does one stop this short of not having automatic
> updates?

Howard B

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Dear Engel,

I tried your suggestions, but there was the shield, again, after rebooting.
The last installed version of MRT was from March. I can't imagine why the
update for April seems to go well, and then the shield informing me I need to
update reappears.

I deleted my temp files, all offline content, and cookies.

A full scan with the March version of MRT found no errors, and
CHKDSK found no errors.

Quick question re: safe mode. I am assuming that should be run with
networking? or doesn't it matter?

Any other thoughts? Just an annoyance, really!

Thanks.

Howard

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Howard,
>
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – (KB890830) MRT
>
> Run in safe mode.
>
> Delete Cookies and Temp Files and included all offline cºntent
> Empty your IE cache
> To run in safe mode.
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
>

> Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt
> < http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
>
> Reboot
>

> Run a Full scan with MRT
> Probably the scan take time, so go and enjoy a cup of coffe during the scan.
>
> The programme can be found at C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe ; MRT standing for
> MicroSoft Removal Tool.
>
> I find it easier to create a "short-cut icon" and locate the icon on my
> "desktop"...... a double click and away she goes.
> The icon is apt in design being the image of a Window with accompanying
> sponge and soap suds.
> If you don't believe me test by executing/running MRT upper or lower case
> letters makes no difference,
> Also you can double click C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe and select the scan.
>
> After finish the scan Reboot
>
> Let us know if you still have the problem.
>
> Good luck
> - -- ---
>

> "Howard B" wrote:
>
> > Hello, everyone,
> >

> > I automatic updates turned on, and almost daily, the alert to download the
> > Malicious Software Removal Tool comes up. I have downloaded it, it says it's
> > installed successfully (April 2008), but within hours the alert to download
> > it pops up again. This has only been for the April 2008 update
> >
> > Anyone else seeing it? How does one stop this short of not having automatic
> > updates?

Engel

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Hi Howard,

See if the solution in this thread helps.
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Malicious+Software+Removal+Too l&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=21348 3bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab&mid=213483bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab>

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>

Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.
Let us know
maybe
someone else can conjure up something else to try.
- -- ---

"Howard B" wrote:

> Dear Engel,
>
> I tried your suggestions, but there was the shield, again, after rebooting.
> The last installed version of MRT was from March. I can't imagine why the
> update for April seems to go well, and then the shield informing me I need to
> update reappears.
>
> I deleted my temp files, all offline content, and cookies.
>
> A full scan with the March version of MRT found no errors, and
> CHKDSK found no errors.
>
> Quick question re: safe mode. I am assuming that should be run with
> networking? or doesn't it matter?
>
> Any other thoughts? Just an annoyance, really!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Howard
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello Howard,
> >
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – (KB890830) MRT
> >
> > Run in safe mode.
> >
> > Delete Cookies and Temp Files and included all offline cºntent
> > Empty your IE cache
> > To run in safe mode.
> > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
> >

> > Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt
> > < http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
> >
> > Reboot
> >

> > Run a Full scan with MRT
> > Probably the scan take time, so go and enjoy a cup of coffe during the scan.
> >
> > The programme can be found at C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe ; MRT standing for
> > MicroSoft Removal Tool.
> >
> > I find it easier to create a "short-cut icon" and locate the icon on my
> > "desktop"...... a double click and away she goes.
> > The icon is apt in design being the image of a Window with accompanying
> > sponge and soap suds.
> > If you don't believe me test by executing/running MRT upper or lower case
> > letters makes no difference,
> > Also you can double click C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe and select the scan.
> >
> > After finish the scan Reboot
> >
> > Let us know if you still have the problem.
> >
> > Good luck
> > - -- ---
> >

> > "Howard B" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, everyone,
> > >

> > > I automatic updates turned on, and almost daily, the alert to download the
> > > Malicious Software Removal Tool comes up. I have downloaded it, it says it's
> > > installed successfully (April 2008), but within hours the alert to download
> > > it pops up again. This has only been for the April 2008 update
> > >
> > > Anyone else seeing it? How does one stop this short of not having automatic
> > > updates?

Howard B

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Dear Engel,

I followed the links, but they did not help. I did not find a temp file
names mrtstub.exe to delete.

What would happen if I deleted the application itself, the MRT.exe file in
my Systems32 file in the Windows directory?

Thanks! Howard

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> See if the solution in this thread helps.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Malicious+Software+Removal+Too l&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=21348 3bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab&mid=213483bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab>
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>
>
> Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.
> Let us know
> maybe
> someone else can conjure up something else to try.
> - -- ---
>
> "Howard B" wrote:
>
> > Dear Engel,
> >
> > I tried your suggestions, but there was the shield, again, after rebooting.
> > The last installed version of MRT was from March. I can't imagine why the
> > update for April seems to go well, and then the shield informing me I need to
> > update reappears.
> >
> > I deleted my temp files, all offline content, and cookies.
> >
> > A full scan with the March version of MRT found no errors, and
> > CHKDSK found no errors.
> >
> > Quick question re: safe mode. I am assuming that should be run with
> > networking? or doesn't it matter?
> >
> > Any other thoughts? Just an annoyance, really!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Howard
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Howard,
> > >
> > > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – (KB890830) MRT
> > >
> > > Run in safe mode.
> > >
> > > Delete Cookies and Temp Files and included all offline cºntent
> > > Empty your IE cache
> > > To run in safe mode.
> > > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
> > >

> > > Try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command prompt
> > > < http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
> > >
> > > Reboot
> > >

> > > Run a Full scan with MRT
> > > Probably the scan take time, so go and enjoy a cup of coffe during the scan.
> > >
> > > The programme can be found at C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe ; MRT standing for
> > > MicroSoft Removal Tool.
> > >
> > > I find it easier to create a "short-cut icon" and locate the icon on my
> > > "desktop"...... a double click and away she goes.
> > > The icon is apt in design being the image of a Window with accompanying
> > > sponge and soap suds.
> > > If you don't believe me test by executing/running MRT upper or lower case
> > > letters makes no difference,
> > > Also you can double click C:\Windows\System32\MRT.exe and select the scan.
> > >
> > > After finish the scan Reboot
> > >
> > > Let us know if you still have the problem.
> > >
> > > Good luck
> > > - -- ---

Engel

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Hi Howard,

NO, before any deletion, try to install on top.

I'd recommend re-downloading Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal
Tool (KB890830), and saving to a known location--like the desktop.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>

After the download is complete, Temporarily disable real-time protection
by your antivirus and/or anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy,
Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s). for long enough to do the installation. (Stop all
programs that are open in the bottom taskbar) etc.
This may be worth trying in your cªse.

Try to install the program now from the desktop

Good luck
- -- --

"Howard B" wrote:

> Dear Engel,
>
> I followed the links, but they did not help. I did not find a temp file
> names mrtstub.exe to delete.
>
> What would happen if I deleted the application itself, the MRT.exe file in
> my Systems32 file in the Windows directory?
>
> Thanks! Howard
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hi Howard,
> >
> > See if the solution in this thread helps.
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Malicious+Software+Removal+Too l&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=21348 3bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab&mid=213483bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab>
> >
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>
> >
> > Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.
> > Let us know
> > maybe
> > someone else can conjure up something else to try.
> > - -- ---
> >
> > "Howard B" wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Engel,
> > >
> > > I tried your suggestions, but there was the shield, again, after rebooting.
> > > The last installed version of MRT was from March. I can't imagine why the
> > > update for April seems to go well, and then the shield informing me I need to
> > > update reappears.
> > >
> > > I deleted my temp files, all offline content, and cookies.
> > >
> > > A full scan with the March version of MRT found no errors, and
> > > CHKDSK found no errors.
> > >
> > > Quick question re: safe mode. I am assuming that should be run with
> > > networking? or doesn't it matter?
> > >
> > > Any other thoughts? Just an annoyance, really!
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Howard

Howard B

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Dear Engel,

I went to the Microsoft Dowloads section, and downloaded the April update to
the desktop. I then ran the update from the desktop. That seems to have
worked! The shield prompting me to download the update no longer pops up,
and when I check the date of the file in Windows\Systems32 file, MRT shows an
April date.

Thanks for your help!

We'll see what May brings.

Howard

"Engel" wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> NO, before any deletion, try to install on top.
>
> I'd recommend re-downloading Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal
> Tool (KB890830), and saving to a known location--like the desktop.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>
>
> After the download is complete, Temporarily disable real-time protection
> by your antivirus and/or anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy,
> Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
> to install the update(s). for long enough to do the installation. (Stop all
> programs that are open in the bottom taskbar) etc.
> This may be worth trying in your cªse.
>
> Try to install the program now from the desktop
>
> Good luck
> - -- --
>
> "Howard B" wrote:
>
> > Dear Engel,
> >
> > I followed the links, but they did not help. I did not find a temp file
> > names mrtstub.exe to delete.
> >
> > What would happen if I deleted the application itself, the MRT.exe file in
> > my Systems32 file in the Windows directory?
> >
> > Thanks! Howard
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Howard,
> > >
> > > See if the solution in this thread helps.
> > > <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Malicious+Software+Removal+Too l&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=21348 3bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab&mid=213483bf-7699-455e-b0e1-cbca399531ab>
> > >
> > > <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en>
> > >
> > > Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.
> > > Let us know
> > > maybe
> > > someone else can conjure up something else to try.
> > > - -- ---

Engel

RE: Malicious software removal tool
Howard,

Terrific-- Glad to hear you got it.

Thank you for the feedback,

I highly appreciate it if you could rate the pºst, so we can keep the
community informed and saves somebody else the hours of trawling through the
web trying to find a solution.

By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the answer more quickly,
you give the person who posted the answer credit for their contribution, and
you help increase the quality of answers in the discussion group.

Good luck in May and the future.
- -- --