strange folders

JohnBooth

strange folders
I have two folders which have appeared on my external USB drive which I think
are the result of some type of update. Here are the contents:

E:\be0224887b466ec6b6ba11edbaa265\update\updspapi. dll
E:\eb99fa32721d7821dfea81e9\update\update.exe

when I try to delete them, I get errors upsdspapi.dll access denied
and update.exe access denied.

Any help/advice appreciated.

JohnBooth

RE: strange folders
sorry for typos, .. upsdspapi should be updspapi
I am running XP SP2.

"JohnBooth" wrote:

> I have two folders which have appeared on my external USB drive which I think
> are the result of some type of update. Here are the contents:
>
> E:\be0224887b466ec6b6ba11edbaa265\update\updspapi. dll
> E:\eb99fa32721d7821dfea81e9\update\update.exe
>
> when I try to delete them, I get errors upsdspapi.dll access denied
> and update.exe access denied.
>
> Any help/advice appreciated.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: strange folders
"JohnBooth" <JohnBooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two folders which have appeared on my external USB drive which I think
> are the result of some type of update. Here are the contents:
>
> E:\be0224887b466ec6b6ba11edbaa265\update\updspapi. dll
> E:\eb99fa32721d7821dfea81e9\update\update.exe
>
> when I try to delete them, I get errors upsdspapi.dll access denied
> and update.exe access denied.

Which OS? In a cmd window use attrib * in that directory to see
if that is why you can't delete them. cacls is another command line tool
you could use to help with this if necessary.

BTW I'm assuming that the reaosn for the error is just permissions
If that .dll is actually hooked in and in use you would have to diagnose that
case differently. You could use ProcMon to get more clues.

> Any help/advice appreciated.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

JohnBooth

Re: strange folders
Thank you for the reply. OS is XP SP2. All involved folders are Read Only,
but the files contained (2) are not. I can probably delete it all with
Unlock,.... the real question is, .... should I.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> Which OS? In a cmd window use attrib * in that directory to see
> if that is why you can't delete them. cacls is another command line tool
> you could use to help with this if necessary.
>
> BTW I'm assuming that the reaosn for the error is just permissions
> If that .dll is actually hooked in and in use you would have to diagnose that
> case differently. You could use ProcMon to get more clues.

frazier

Re: strange folders
You mean "Unlocker"?
I have the same issue. I have no qualms about deleting the files.

"JohnBooth" wrote:

> Thank you for the reply. OS is XP SP2. All involved folders are Read Only,
> but the files contained (2) are not. I can probably delete it all with
> Unlock,.... the real question is, .... should I.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
> > Which OS? In a cmd window use attrib * in that directory to see
> > if that is why you can't delete them. cacls is another command line tool
> > you could use to help with this if necessary.
> >
> > BTW I'm assuming that the reaosn for the error is just permissions
> > If that .dll is actually hooked in and in use you would have to diagnose that
> > case differently. You could use ProcMon to get more clues.

frazier

Re: strange folders
Anyway, Unlocker worked... thanks!

"frazier" wrote:

> You mean "Unlocker"?
> I have the same issue. I have no qualms about deleting the files.
>
> "JohnBooth" wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the reply. OS is XP SP2. All involved folders are Read Only,
> > but the files contained (2) are not. I can probably delete it all with
> > Unlock,.... the real question is, .... should I.
> >
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> > > Which OS? In a cmd window use attrib * in that directory to see
> > > if that is why you can't delete them. cacls is another command line tool
> > > you could use to help with this if necessary.
> > >
> > > BTW I'm assuming that the reaosn for the error is just permissions
> > > If that .dll is actually hooked in and in use you would have to diagnose that
> > > case differently. You could use ProcMon to get more clues.

JohnBooth

Re: strange folders
I shoulda updated the thread. I upgraded an older unlocker to the current
version and it deleted the files/folders in question. The one I HAD would
not, which really threw me for a second. So..... everyone is happy now. And
..... they were leftovers from a Windows update.

"frazier" wrote:

> Anyway, Unlocker worked... thanks!
>
> "frazier" wrote:
>
> > You mean "Unlocker"?
> > I have the same issue. I have no qualms about deleting the files.
> >
> > "JohnBooth" wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you for the reply. OS is XP SP2. All involved folders are Read Only,
> > > but the files contained (2) are not. I can probably delete it all with
> > > Unlock,.... the real question is, .... should I.

frazier

Re: strange folders
Well thanks for the lead on Unlocker; worked for me.
Unlocker did not detect the files as locked, offered other options, one of
them was to delete the file, which I selected. In one instance it further
asked if it was OK to delete the file after a restart, which I selected; that
worked as well.
Thanks, again.