KB944338 Update

Paddyray

KB944338 Update
Error Message: 8007F0F4

I have carried out all the fixes suggested in the other messages.
I have downloaded Jscript 5.7 with no luck

I have IE 7. Firewall is Microsft One Care Live
Engel

RE: KB944338 Update
Hello Paddyray,

0x8007f0f4

-2146963212 STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED Setup cannot continue because one or
more pre-requisites required to install failed. For More details check the
Log File. Update.exe can throw this error when it starts to download if the
computer is running under battery power (there may be a fix for this in the
future).

Have you look this page
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944338>

Down the page they offer help:
How to obtain help and support for this security update
the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:
(http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx)

Good luck
- -- --

"Paddyray" wrote:

> Error Message: 8007F0F4
>
> I have carried out all the fixes suggested in the other messages.
> I have downloaded Jscript 5.7 with no luck
>
> I have IE 7. Firewall is Microsft One Care Live

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB944338 Update
Paddyray wrote:

> I have carried out all the fixes suggested in the other messages.
> I have downloaded Jscript 5.7 with no luck

Define "no luck". Were you able to install Windows Script 5.7?

If so, you no longer need to install KB944338. Does Windows Update still say it
is needed?

Doublecheck the version numbers of jscript.dll and vbscript.dll in
c:\windows\system32.

Harry.
Frank

Re: KB944338 Update
I updated Jscript 5.7, restarted and just now checked Windows Update and
received " No critical updates available" Thank you Harry.

--
Frank

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Paddyray wrote:
>
> > I have carried out all the fixes suggested in the other messages.
> > I have downloaded Jscript 5.7 with no luck

> Define "no luck". Were you able to install Windows Script 5.7?
>
> If so, you no longer need to install KB944338. Does Windows Update still say it
> is needed?
>
> Doublecheck the version numbers of jscript.dll and vbscript.dll in
> c:\windows\system32.
>
> Harry.

Paddyray

Re: KB944338 Update
Harry
I am no expert but I installed Jscript 5.7 as per some previous instructions
As far as I can Engel references are to do with laptops on battery power. I
have a laptop but it is constantly on mains power.
Windows Update still says it is needed.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Paddyray wrote:
>
> > I have carried out all the fixes suggested in the other messages.
> > I have downloaded Jscript 5.7 with no luck

> Define "no luck". Were you able to install Windows Script 5.7?
>
> If so, you no longer need to install KB944338. Does Windows Update still say it
> is needed?
>
> Doublecheck the version numbers of jscript.dll and vbscript.dll in
> c:\windows\system32.
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB944338 Update
Paddyray wrote:

> I am no expert but I installed Jscript 5.7 as per some previous instructions
> As far as I can Engel references are to do with laptops on battery power. I
> have a laptop but it is constantly on mains power.
> Windows Update still says it is needed.

Open c:\windows\system32, right-click on jscript.dll and select Properties.
Find the version number. Is it version 5.7? Same process for vbscript.dll. Is
it version 5.7?

Have you rebooted? Does Windows Updates still say KB944338 is needed?

I don't understand your reference to battery power. This update has nothing to
do with the power supply.

Did you download Windows Script 5.7 directly from Microsoft, via this link?

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&DisplayLang=en>

Harry.
Paddyray

Re: KB944338 Update
I must not have downloaded script 5.7 properly. Just did as you told me found
I did not have 5.7 but I do now and all is well. That's the trouble you have
dealing with dunderheads like me. Many thanks
"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Paddyray wrote:
>
> > I am no expert but I installed Jscript 5.7 as per some previous instructions
> > As far as I can Engel references are to do with laptops on battery power. I
> > have a laptop but it is constantly on mains power.
> > Windows Update still says it is needed.

> Open c:\windows\system32, right-click on jscript.dll and select Properties.
> Find the version number. Is it version 5.7? Same process for vbscript.dll. Is
> it version 5.7?
>
> Have you rebooted? Does Windows Updates still say KB944338 is needed?
>
> I don't understand your reference to battery power. This update has nothing to
> do with the power supply.
>
> Did you download Windows Script 5.7 directly from Microsoft, via this link?
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&DisplayLang=en>
>
> Harry.

NeilMac

Re: KB944338 Update

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Paddyray wrote:
>
> > I am no expert but I installed Jscript 5.7 as per some previous instructions
> > As far as I can Engel references are to do with laptops on battery power. I
> > have a laptop but it is constantly on mains power.
> > Windows Update still says it is needed.

> Open c:\windows\system32, right-click on jscript.dll and select Properties.
> Find the version number. Is it version 5.7? Same process for vbscript.dll. Is
> it version 5.7?
>
> Have you rebooted? Does Windows Updates still say KB944338 is needed?
>
> I don't understand your reference to battery power. This update has nothing to
> do with the power supply.
>
> Did you download Windows Script 5.7 directly from Microsoft, via this link?
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&DisplayLang=en>
>
> Harry.

I have had this problem update for a week now, followed the advice given
in your post. Downloaded Windows Script 5.7 and installed from your link,
then rebooted.

The yellow shield has gone!

Many thanks for the solution.

NeilMac.