Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes

GerryJ

Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on April
9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the time
updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5 seconds,
sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to 89%
or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs open
and with programs open.

Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB947864)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)

Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?

Thanks

Hammer''n''Plano

RE: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
GerryJ,
Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process is
using most of the CPU. - Hammer

"GerryJ" wrote:

> Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on April
> 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the time
> updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5 seconds,
> sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to 89%
> or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs open
> and with programs open.
>
> Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
> Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
> Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
> Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB947864)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
> Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
>
> Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
>
> Thanks

GerryJ

RE: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
Hammer:

iexplorer.exe 93,324K

"Hammer''n''Plano" wrote:

> GerryJ,
> Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
> the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process is
> using most of the CPU. - Hammer
>
> "GerryJ" wrote:
>
> > Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on April
> > 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the time
> > updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5 seconds,
> > sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to 89%
> > or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs open
> > and with programs open.
> >
> > Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
> > Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
> > Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
> > Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB947864)
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
> > Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
> >
> > Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
> >
> > Thanks

realcestmoi

Re: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
Hi there,

Hammer''n''Plano" asked: CPU usage, you are mistakingly reporting the memory
usage.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"GerryJ" <GerryJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hammer:
>
> iexplorer.exe 93,324K
>
> "Hammer''n''Plano" wrote:
>
>> GerryJ,
>> Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
>> the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process
>> is
>> using most of the CPU. - Hammer
>>
>> "GerryJ" wrote:
>>
>> > Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on
>> > April
>> > 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the
>> > time
>> > updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5
>> > seconds,
>> > sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to
>> > 89%
>> > or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs
>> > open
>> > and with programs open.
>> >
>> > Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
>> > Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
>> > Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
>> > Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
>> > (KB947864)
>> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
>> > Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
>> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
>> >
>> > Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
>> >
>> > Thanks

GerryJ

RE: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
Hammer:

Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough. I see System Idle Process
continually between 60-95, iexplorer.exe jumps as high as 29 on spike. All
others staying below 4.

"Hammer''n''Plano" wrote:

> GerryJ,
> Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
> the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process is
> using most of the CPU. - Hammer
>
> "GerryJ" wrote:
>
> > Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on April
> > 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the time
> > updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5 seconds,
> > sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to 89%
> > or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs open
> > and with programs open.
> >
> > Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
> > Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
> > Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
> > Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB947864)
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
> > Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
> >
> > Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
> >
> > Thanks

Trapper

Re: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
I just tried that and had a program "AppSvc32.exe" sucking up the processor
at 50 according to task manager and I have a 2.8 gig processor, the file is
located at
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore
I also disabled Norton Antivirus and tried running IE7-8 and still the same
problem.

"Hammer''n''Plano" <HammernPlano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> GerryJ,
> Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
> the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process is
> using most of the CPU. - Hammer
>
> "GerryJ" wrote:
>
>> Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on
>> April
>> 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the time
>> updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5
>> seconds,
>> sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to
>> 89%
>> or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs
>> open
>> and with programs open.
>>
>> Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
>> Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
>> Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
>> Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
>> (KB947864)
>> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
>> Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
>>
>> Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
>>
>> Thanks

GerryJ

Re: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
Trapper:

Are you experiencing freeze ups too?

Gerry

"Trapper" wrote:

> I just tried that and had a program "AppSvc32.exe" sucking up the processor
> at 50 according to task manager and I have a 2.8 gig processor, the file is
> located at
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore
> I also disabled Norton Antivirus and tried running IE7-8 and still the same
> problem.
>

> "Hammer''n''Plano" <HammernPlano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > GerryJ,
> > Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
> > the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process is
> > using most of the CPU. - Hammer
> >
> > "GerryJ" wrote:
> >
> >> Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on
> >> April
> >> 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about the time
> >> updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of 3-5
> >> seconds,
> >> sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages spikes to
> >> 89%
> >> or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with no programs
> >> open
> >> and with programs open.
> >>
> >> Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
> >> Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
> >> Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
> >> Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> >> (KB947864)
> >> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
> >> Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
> >> Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
> >>
> >> Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks

Re: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
[crossposted to IE General]

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or

Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6), (b)
all toolbars and (c) all third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this behavior persist? If it does,
do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]
[http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177]

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

GerryJ wrote:
> Hammer:
>
> Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough. I see System Idle Process
> continually between 60-95, iexplorer.exe jumps as high as 29 on spike. All
> others staying below 4.
>
> "Hammer''n''Plano" wrote:
>
>> GerryJ,
>> Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
>> the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process
>> is
>> using most of the CPU. - Hammer
>>
>> "GerryJ" wrote:
>>
>>> Using Windows XP Home Edition with Svc Pk2. Newly installed updates on
>>> April 9, 2008. I have a new problem that seems to have started about
>>> the
>>> time updates were installed. The computer freezes up for a period of
>>> 3-5
>>> seconds, sometimes longer, every 2-3 minutes. I notice that CPU usages
>>> spikes to 89% or higher each time there is a freeze. This happens with
>>> no programs open and with programs open.
>>>
>>> Updates installed on 4/9/08 are
>>> Security Update for ActiveX killbits (KB948881)
>>> Security update for Windows XP (KB941693)
>>> Cumulative security update for INternet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
>>> (KB947864) Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool April 2008 (KB890830)
>>> Security update for Windows XP (KB948590)
>>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
>>>
>>> Is anyone haveing the same problem and found a solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks

GerryJ

Re: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
PA Bear:

I'll work on that tomorrow. Strange thing is that the system isn't freezing
now and I haven't changed anything.

I'll keep working on it.

Thanks

Gerry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crossposted to IE General]
>
> 1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or
>
> Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
> add-ons).

> 2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?
>
> 3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6), (b)
> all toolbars and (c) all third-party Windows Themes (including Window
> Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this behavior persist? If it does,
> do NOT reinstall IE7.
>
> Uninstalling IE7
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
> %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
> Programs!]
> [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177]
>
> IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> 4. Required reading IMHO before reinstalling IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
> STOP
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>
> I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
> reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
> Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
> to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> GerryJ wrote:
> > Hammer:
> >
> > Sorry, didn't read your post carefully enough. I see System Idle Process
> > continually between 60-95, iexplorer.exe jumps as high as 29 on spike. All
> > others staying below 4.
> >
> > "Hammer''n''Plano" wrote:
> >
> >> GerryJ,
> >> Open Task Manager and sort on the CPU column so that CPU times display at
> >> the top in descending order. When your usage spikes, note which process
> >> is
> >> using most of the CPU. - Hammer

Re: Computer freezes momentarily every 2-3 minutes
Remember the First Law of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."