sp3 for windows xp did it ruin my computer forever

bri guy

sp3 for windows xp did it ruin my computer forever
i installed it and rebooted it starts to load up and blue screens it says it
cant find gdi32.dll
thats where it stops
i cant restore or boot in safe mobe help!!!!!!!!
Ridge Runner

Re: sp3 for windows xp did it ruin my computer forever
You did not install it.......because it is still BETA
"bri guy" <bri guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i installed it and rebooted it starts to load up and blue screens it says
>it
> cant find gdi32.dll
> thats where it stops
> i cant restore or boot in safe mobe help!!!!!!!!

David

Re: sp3 for windows xp did it ruin my computer forever

"bri guy" <bri guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i installed it and rebooted it starts to load up and blue screens it says
> it
> cant find gdi32.dll
> thats where it stops
> i cant restore or boot in safe mobe help!!!!!!!!

I had to recover back to as supplied!
Was a good job I had things backed up.
I had to tap a key at start up, think F9 or F10, tells you on screen.
I have now hidden the update on Windows Updater.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Shenan Stanley

bri guy wrote:
> i installed it and rebooted it starts to load up and blue screens
> it says it cant find gdi32.dll
>
> thats where it stops
> i cant restore or boot in safe mobe help!!!!!!!!

Since you should have nothing to lose (installation of a pre-release
software should only be done on a system you are willing/able to format and
rebuild at a moments notice - virtual machines with a revert capability are
great for this) when trying to install the pre-release software (Windows XP
SP3 Release Candidate 2) simply format and install your test machine that
you are having trouble with (or ask your question in the appropriate forum
for the pre-release product.)

Another option would be a cleanup of said test machine. Similar to one you
might do before installingb any major service pack full release. The only
real difference is that being a test machine - it is not as important you
backup anything... (Assuming you can get back in via repair install
or something...)

- Uninstall unnecessary software.
- Update the hardware drivers from the hardware manufacturer's support
web pages.
- Use Disk Cleanup to clear all but the last restore point and to free up
some space not being used by much more than junk.
- Check for viruses/trojans/worms...
- Check for adware/spyware/malware...
- Use CHKDSK to check your hard disk drive for errors.
- Use DEFRAG to cleanup the drive a bit - tidy it up.

Then - once you have your test machine cleaned up - you could make a new
image of it (or however you plan to restore it each time you are done with
whatever tests you use it for) and you'd have a better testbed machine for
it.

However - being a pre-release product - there really is not a direct support
option available. You have a few options, however:

Start here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7c953a761.aspx

Which can lead you:

and the forums set up specifically for the pre-release product:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17

And of course:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...ng=en#filelist

Where you can download it in different languages OR download a script that
sets a registry key on your system so you can get Windows XP SP3 Release
Candidate 2 from the Windows Update web page directly.

Hope that helps!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Christine Heinrich

bri guy schrieb am 12.04.2008:

> i installed it and rebooted it starts to load up and blue screens it says it
> cant find gdi32.dll
> thats where it stops

Read
http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...&tf=0&pageid=1