HELP!! - Hardware Driver Update

boredstiff

HELP!! - Hardware Driver Update
I have an HP psc 2175 All-In-One connected to my PC running on Vista Premium.
The HP website says that this equipment's updated driver is already included
within Vista. Every time I run Windows Update, it recommends the
installation of the updated driver "Hewlett-Packard - Other Hardware - hp psc
2170 series". But, the installation always fails with "Error Code 800F0101",
which I can't seem to find the description of anywhere on the Microsoft
website. I can use the printer with limited properties, but cannot import
any scanning functions into Windows Photo Gallery. Can anybody please help
me get my scanner back??
ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: HELP!! - Hardware Driver Update

> Every time I run Windows Update, it recommends the
> installation of the updated driver "Hewlett-Packard - Other Hardware - hp
> psc
> 2170 series". But, the installation always fails with "Error Code
> 800F0101",
> which I can't seem to find the description of anywhere on the Microsoft
> website. I can use the printer with limited properties, but cannot import
> any scanning functions into Windows Photo Gallery. Can anybody please
> help
> me get my scanner back??

If the driver is available on HP's site try downloading it, the use
your systems update driver, and point it to the downloaded driver.
Failing that get a standalone driver update utility, I use
Driver Magic, but there are others.
It seems to scan your system, finds any out of date
drivers, and you download them, as far as I can tell from
DM's own server.
Their servers (2 off) are a bit slow but it has found drivers
for unidentifiable USB devices, as well as integrated
motherboard devices, sound, graphics, SATA, marble
mouse, graphics pad, it seems to work quite well.
If you know what drivers are out of date or you are
running on MS's dodgy generic drivers, then
you could go looking for better and more up to date
drivers, DM seems to do the searching for you.
realcestmoi

Re: HELP!! - Hardware Driver Update
Hi there,

Taking OPTIONAL drivers from windows update for non Microsoft hardware is
not recommanded.

If your hardware works fine: just leave it be working fine.

If an update is needed because the harware does not funtion well ( if it
ain't broke do not try to "FIX" it) than go to the manufactures website for
an
updated driver.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"boredstiff" <boredstiff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP psc 2175 All-In-One connected to my PC running on Vista
>Premium.
> The HP website says that this equipment's updated driver is already
> included
> within Vista. Every time I run Windows Update, it recommends the
> installation of the updated driver "Hewlett-Packard - Other Hardware - hp
> psc
> 2170 series". But, the installation always fails with "Error Code
> 800F0101",
> which I can't seem to find the description of anywhere on the Microsoft
> website. I can use the printer with limited properties, but cannot import
> any scanning functions into Windows Photo Gallery. Can anybody please
> help
> me get my scanner back??

realcestmoi

Re: HELP!! - Hardware Driver Update
Hi there,

It sounds like a driver update has occured which messed up the Sound
settings.

Hopefully you did not take any non MS driver(s) from windows update?

Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended forMicrosoft
hardware.

If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
goto the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.

If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.

If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting
lastknown good configuration, rolling back on the driver or use system
restore
in safe mode prior to a date of the problem or restore from the full
systembackup you hopefully made.

Assuming you are using Windows XP: here you can see how to roll back on a
device driver:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...rrollback.mspx

You can disable the update in question appearing when automatic updates
isset by going to the windows update website and unmark (hide) driver in
question.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"boredstiff" <boredstiff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP psc 2175 All-In-One connected to my PC running on Vista
>Premium.
> The HP website says that this equipment's updated driver is already
> included
> within Vista. Every time I run Windows Update, it recommends the
> installation of the updated driver "Hewlett-Packard - Other Hardware - hp
> psc
> 2170 series". But, the installation always fails with "Error Code
> 800F0101",
> which I can't seem to find the description of anywhere on the Microsoft
> website. I can use the printer with limited properties, but cannot import
> any scanning functions into Windows Photo Gallery. Can anybody please
> help
> me get my scanner back??

Re: HELP!! - Hardware Driver Update
What happens if you hide the update?