Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Patchy sound since an automatic update

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
AndrewPJ
 

Posts: n/a
Patchy sound since an automatic update
Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's, my
music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
Hammer''n''Plano
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Patchy sound since an automatic update

You should reinstall your sound card driver. Even if it's integrated into
the motherboard, there will probably be a driver for it. If not, try
reinstalling the chipset driver. And always, always do a System Restore
backup before installing anything so you can recover in case of a problem. -
Hammer

"AndrewPJ" wrote:

> Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's, my
> music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
realcestmoi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Hi there,

It sounds like a driver update has occured which messed up the Sound
settings.

Hopefully you did not take any non MS driver(s) from windows update?

Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended forMicrosoft
hardware.

If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
goto the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.

If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.

If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting
lastknown good configuration, rolling back on the driver or use system
restore
in safe mode prior to a date of the problem or restore from the full
systembackup you hopefully made.

Assuming you are using Windows XP: here you can see how to roll back on a
device driver:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...rrollback.mspx


You can disable the update in question appearing when automatic updates
isset by going to the windows update website and unmark (hide) driver in
question.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"AndrewPJ" <AndrewPJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A4F72567-DB9D-4EE3-8E68-0CEB7C71D9CE@microsoft.com...
> Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's,
> my
> music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
What updates were installed on 09 Apr-08?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AndrewPJ wrote:
> Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's,
> my music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
AndrewPJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Hello PA Bear,

These are the updates that were installed

Windows XP Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB948881)
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP
(KB947864) Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693) Wednesday, April 09,
2008 Automatic Updates
Office 2003 Update for Microsoft Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB949044)
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590) Wednesday, April 09,
2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2008 (KB890830)
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB944338) Wednesday, April 09,
2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)

Thanks for your assistance.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What updates were installed on 09 Apr-08?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> AndrewPJ wrote:
> > Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> > then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's,
> > my music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> > jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
AndrewPJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Hello realcestmoi,

I don't think any drive updates occured and I haven't installed any non
windows drivers since I have had my laptop (3 years now).

Thanks for your advice. I'll look into this problem a little more with the
help you have given me.

Regards Andrew

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It sounds like a driver update has occured which messed up the Sound
> settings.
>
> Hopefully you did not take any non MS driver(s) from windows update?
>
> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended forMicrosoft
> hardware.
>
> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
> goto the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.
>
> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
>
> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting
> lastknown good configuration, rolling back on the driver or use system
> restore
> in safe mode prior to a date of the problem or restore from the full
> systembackup you hopefully made.
>
> Assuming you are using Windows XP: here you can see how to roll back on a
> device driver:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...rrollback.mspx
>
>
> You can disable the update in question appearing when automatic updates
> isset by going to the windows update website and unmark (hide) driver in
> question.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>
> "AndrewPJ" <AndrewPJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A4F72567-DB9D-4EE3-8E68-0CEB7C71D9CE@microsoft.com...
> > Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> > then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's,
> > my
> > music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> > jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
AndrewPJ
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Thanks Hammer,

I'll see what I can do in this regard

Cheers

Andrew

"Hammer''n''Plano" wrote:

>
> You should reinstall your sound card driver. Even if it's integrated into
> the motherboard, there will probably be a driver for it. If not, try
> reinstalling the chipset driver. And always, always do a System Restore
> backup before installing anything so you can recover in case of a problem. -
> Hammer
>
> "AndrewPJ" wrote:
>
> > Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> > then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's, my
> > music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> > jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
AndrewPJ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Hello again realcestmoi,

I reinstalled the drivers you mentioned but unfortunately this hasn't help
the problem. The sound is still patchy with all sound using applications.
Thanks for you help. Do you have any other suggestions?

Regards

Andrew

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> It sounds like a driver update has occured which messed up the Sound
> settings.
>
> Hopefully you did not take any non MS driver(s) from windows update?
>
> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended forMicrosoft
> hardware.
>
> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
> goto the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.
>
> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
>
> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting
> lastknown good configuration, rolling back on the driver or use system
> restore
> in safe mode prior to a date of the problem or restore from the full
> systembackup you hopefully made.
>
> Assuming you are using Windows XP: here you can see how to roll back on a
> device driver:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...rrollback.mspx
>
>
> You can disable the update in question appearing when automatic updates
> isset by going to the windows update website and unmark (hide) driver in
> question.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>
> "AndrewPJ" <AndrewPJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A4F72567-DB9D-4EE3-8E68-0CEB7C71D9CE@microsoft.com...
> > Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever since
> > then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips, dvd's,
> > my
> > music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
> > jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
realcestmoi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Hello Andrew,

Besides the distorted sound do you notice any degree in performance of the
system?

If you check in device manager do you see any high cpu cycles? If so which
process?

Best regards,
Michel Denie


"AndrewPJ" <AndrewPJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9257E437-A23B-4A6F-A00A-4702F77303DD@microsoft.com...
> Hello again realcestmoi,
>
> I reinstalled the drivers you mentioned but unfortunately this hasn't help
> the problem. The sound is still patchy with all sound using applications.
> Thanks for you help. Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew
>
> "realcestmoi" wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> It sounds like a driver update has occured which messed up the Sound
>> settings.
>>
>> Hopefully you did not take any non MS driver(s) from windows update?
>>
>> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended
>> forMicrosoft
>> hardware.
>>
>> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
>> goto the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.
>>
>> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
>>
>> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting
>> lastknown good configuration, rolling back on the driver or use system
>> restore
>> in safe mode prior to a date of the problem or restore from the full
>> systembackup you hopefully made.
>>
>> Assuming you are using Windows XP: here you can see how to roll back on a
>> device driver:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...rrollback.mspx
>>
>>
>> You can disable the update in question appearing when automatic updates
>> isset by going to the windows update website and unmark (hide) driver in
>> question.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michel Denie
>>
>> "AndrewPJ" <AndrewPJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A4F72567-DB9D-4EE3-8E68-0CEB7C71D9CE@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever
>> > since
>> > then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips,
>> > dvd's,
>> > my
>> > music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start up
>> > jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Patchy sound since an automatic update
Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates.
--
~PA Bear

AndrewPJ wrote:
> Hello PA Bear,
>
> These are the updates that were installed
>
> Windows XP Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB948881)
> Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows
> XP
> (KB947864) Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB941693) Wednesday, April 09,
> 2008 Automatic Updates
> Office 2003 Update for Microsoft Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB949044)
> Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB948590) Wednesday, April 09,
> 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2008 (KB890830)
> Wednesday, April 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB944338) Wednesday, April 09,
> 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What updates were installed on 09 Apr-08?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> AndrewPJ wrote:
>>> Hello. I had an automatic update installed on the 9th of April. Ever
>>> since
>>> then the sound on my laptop is patchy. There is sound but it skips,
>>> dvd's,
>>> my music and any program that needs sound skip. This includes the start
>>> up
>>> jingle. Can anyone help me please? I'm using windows XP.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
automatic update chris microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 12-02-2007 04:35
Automatic Update Gortwood microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 11-27-2007 21:20
Automatic update in vista Theo microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 10-24-2007 18:30
A patchy kind of day, (Wed, Jul 11th) Steve Security News 0 07-12-2007 01:15
Automatic Update--How to Turn OFF? John microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 06-15-2007 21:49




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:38.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120