Re: Hotfix update caused IE7 to stop working

Re: Hotfix update caused IE7 to stop working
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

I said nothing about uninstalling your anti-virus application! Reinstall it
ASAP! Do not connect the machine to the internet without active anti-virus
protection and an enabled firewall!
========================
I recommend that you...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB947864).

!!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call
the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which
is 47830). <= !!!

your usual support contacts.
--
~PA Bear

Jewelry Lady wrote:
> I have uninstalled my virus protection and am still having the problem. I
> updated the IE exception in the windows firewall. HELP!!!!! This update
> continues to install every night, if I turn off that update it throws a
> fit,
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>>
>> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
>> following (which assumes KB947864 *is* installed; if it's not, skip #2
>> and
>> #3):
>>
>> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided
>> by an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes
>> Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
>> third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
>>
>> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
>> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
>> anti-virus application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free
>> firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>>
>> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB947864)"
>> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
>> right) and reboot.
>>
>> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>>
>> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
>> Updates offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional
>> Updates category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
>> IE7's additional security.
>>
>> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
>> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
>> firewall.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jewelry Lady wrote:
>>> The last two nights, auto update has installed a hotfix for IE7. Both
>>> times
>>> I have not been able to connect to any web pages. I have uninstalled the
>>> update and my IE7 is working normally. How do I get it to stop
>>> downloading
>>> this particular update?

Jewelry Lady

Re: Hotfix update caused IE7 to stop working
PA Bear,

OK, Sorry, I think I didn't explain to well. My anti virus is back on and so
is the firewall. I just wanted to check and see if that was the problem and
it isn't it will not work no matter what I have done. I will try your new
suggestions. Thanks.