Installer Errors and Windows Update Errors

NellyPledge

Installer Errors and Windows Update Errors
Recently my Windows installer decided to stop working, giving me errors on
when installing uninstalling. I tried the beta update of installer 4.5 which
had no effect. I had all the apps I needed and decided to leave it be. Now
four Windows updates will not install with a 89B error code. I just tried
the SP1 (standalone as the updates are not working) and I still have the
update error. The msiexec.exe installer error in get is "Internal Error
2203. C:\Windows\Installer\3aae0b7.ipi - 2147024629". I don't even have a
folder called Installer in the Windows directory which is really strange. I
imagine these things are related. I hope there is a fix.
Thanks in advance for peoples time to read and think about this one.

Neil
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Installer Errors and Windows Update Errors
"NellyPledge" <NellyPledge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my Windows installer decided to stop working, giving me errors on
> when installing uninstalling. I tried the beta update of installer 4.5 which
> had no effect. I had all the apps I needed and decided to leave it be. Now
> four Windows updates will not install with a 89B error code. I just tried
> the SP1 (standalone as the updates are not working) and I still have the
> update error.

> The msiexec.exe installer error in get is "Internal Error 2203. C:\Windows\Installer\3aae0b7.ipi - 2147024629".

<calc>
- 2147024629 = FFFFFFFF8007010B
<calc>

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c = 0x10B
267
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The directory name is invalid.
</cmd_output>

> I don't even have a folder called Installer in the Windows directory which is really strange.
> I imagine these things are related.

Apparently! ; )

> I hope there is a fix.
> Thanks in advance for peoples time to read and think about this one.
>
> Neil

NellyPledge

Re: Installer Errors and Windows Update Errors
Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.

I'm sorry but i don't quite understand the reply. Are these things i should
carry out in the cmd window?

Neil

> Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.
>
> I'm sorry but i don't quite understand the reply. Are these things i should
> carry out in the cmd window?

If you like. I'd instead try to find the context of those codes (and their decimal or hex equivalents)
in any diagnostic files that the install attempt would have created.

BTW where are you seeing your "89B error code"? You could try the same technique with it
that I showed you with your other hex code. For example:

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c = 0x89B
2203
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The password parameter is invalid.
</cmd_output>

Perhaps you will need to see your administrator? ; )

Good luck

Robert
---

> Neil
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "NellyPledge" <NellyPledge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Recently my Windows installer decided to stop working, giving me errors on
>> > when installing uninstalling. I tried the beta update of installer 4.5 which
>> > had no effect. I had all the apps I needed and decided to leave it be. Now
>> > four Windows updates will not install with a 89B error code. I just tried
>> > the SP1 (standalone as the updates are not working) and I still have the
>> > update error.

>> > The msiexec.exe installer error in get is "Internal Error 2203. C:\Windows\Installer\3aae0b7.ipi - 2147024629".

>> <calc>
>> - 2147024629 = FFFFFFFF8007010B
>> <calc>
>>
>> <cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
>> E:\>set /a c = 0x10B
>> 267
>> E:\>net helpmsg %c%
>>
>> The directory name is invalid.
>> </cmd_output>
>>

>> > I don't even have a folder called Installer in the Windows directory which is really strange.
>> > I imagine these things are related.

>> Apparently! ; )
>>

>> > I hope there is a fix.
>> > Thanks in advance for peoples time to read and think about this one.
>> >
>> > Neil

mdck

RE: Installer Errors and Windows Update Errors
That last comment was just too confusing wasn't it? Turns out I too have had
the same problem, but I'd be interested to know if you have the same symptoms.

click START, CONTROL PANEL
if a message asks if you want to show this, that's fine. Tell it you do.
so far so good? Ok next, we're just going to look we're not doing anything
else.
click ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS
use the scrollbar on the right to scroll downward
you're looking for WINDOWS INSTALLER

That's it. I'd be interested in hearing if it was listed on your computer.

mwaitltl is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Installer Errors and Windows Update Errors
Dear All,
I have this exact same problem. I am not good enough with computers to understand some of the above. But no, Windows Installer does not appear on the program list in control panel or in the windows folder. Some programs and updates are able to install some are not. It is still listed in "services" in the "administrative tools" in control panel.
I would greatly appreciate anyone who can explain how to fix this.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdck View Post