Error 800700C1

blkbgn9

Error 800700C1
When trying to check for Windows updates I get the error code 800700C1. I
have tried all of the things suggested on other threads on this board with no
success. When I go to my internet options I get the message
"C:\Windows\system32\ADVPACK.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or
it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original
installation media or contact your system administrator or the software
vendor for support." When I got that message I went to afreedll.com and
downloaded RegCure to check my computer for errors or missing dll files.
That did not work. I still get the same messages as before.
I also had McAfee as my security on the computer. I have since uninstalled
that to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I now have AVG 7.5 for
my security as well as the Windows firewall.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am ready to
throw the computer out the window.
--
Becky
Dell Inspiron E1705 Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5200
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Error 800700C1
"blkbgn9" <blkbgn9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to check for Windows updates I get the error code 800700C1.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c =0xC1
193
E:\>net helpmsg %c%
193 is not a valid Windows network message number.
</cmd_output>

Vista specific code?

(Live Search for
intitle:codes 193 vista site:microsoft.com
)

<quote>
ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
193
0xC1
%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

</quote>

Perhaps you downloaded the wrong version of the update?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

blkbgn9

Re: Error 800700C1

--

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "blkbgn9" <blkbgn9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to check for Windows updates I get the error code 800700C1.

> <cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
> E:\>set /a c =0xC1
> 193
> E:\>net helpmsg %c%
> 193 is not a valid Windows network message number.
> </cmd_output>
>

> Vista specific code?

> (Live Search for
> intitle:codes 193 vista site:microsoft.com
> )
>
> <quote>
> ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
> 193
> 0xC1
> %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
>

> </quote>
>
> Perhaps you downloaded the wrong version of the update?
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> I'm sorry, but I do not follow any of the info. that you have above. I'm not savy as to the computer language. I am looking for specific details on how I can fix my problem. If I did download the wrong update how do I fix it? Thanks

micosoft.public.windowsupdate

RE: Error 800700C1

"blkbgn9" wrote:

> When trying to check for Windows updates I get the error code 800700C1. I
> have tried all of the things suggested on other threads on this board with no
> success. When I go to my internet options I get the message
> "C:\Windows\system32\ADVPACK.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or
> it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original
> installation media or contact your system administrator or the software
> vendor for support." When I got that message I went to afreedll.com and
> downloaded RegCure to check my computer for errors or missing dll files.
> That did not work. I still get the same messages as before.
> I also had McAfee as my security on the computer. I have since uninstalled
> that to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I now have AVG 7.5 for
> my security as well as the Windows firewall.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am ready to
> throw the computer out the window.
> --
> Becky
> Dell Inspiron E1705 Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5200
> 2MB/1.6GHz/533MHz
> 1GB,DDR2,533MHz 2 Dimm
> 80GB 5400RAM SATA Hard Drive
> Vista Home Premium
> 32 bit operating system

Bruceahz

RE: Error 800700C1
Becky - did you ever get this resolved. I've had the same problem since at
least last summer; it started after installing a MicroSoft update, and the
only suggestion from MS was to reinstall Vista!

"blkbgn9" wrote:

> When trying to check for Windows updates I get the error code 800700C1. I
> have tried all of the things suggested on other threads on this board with no
> success. When I go to my internet options I get the message
> "C:\Windows\system32\ADVPACK.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or
> it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original
> installation media or contact your system administrator or the software
> vendor for support." When I got that message I went to afreedll.com and
> downloaded RegCure to check my computer for errors or missing dll files.
> That did not work. I still get the same messages as before.
> I also had McAfee as my security on the computer. I have since uninstalled
> that to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I now have AVG 7.5 for
> my security as well as the Windows firewall.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am ready to
> throw the computer out the window.
> --
> Becky
> Dell Inspiron E1705 Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5200
> 2MB/1.6GHz/533MHz
> 1GB,DDR2,533MHz 2 Dimm
> 80GB 5400RAM SATA Hard Drive
> Vista Home Premium