Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text

Shaun

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
The fix doesn't seem to work for me. I replaced all of the WU*.* files in my
system 32 but the WUDriver.dll and the WUaueng.dll will not register, they
get a 0x80070716 error code "call to DLLRegisterServer failed" I've extracted
them a few times to no avail, anyone have any ideas?

"Paul" wrote:

> No I haven't.
>
> "martyp" wrote:
>

> > iZac and Paul - have you ever used TweakNow PowerPack? I ask because
> > I'm suspicious that this program is the cause of the Windows Update
> > problem. If I'm correct, after I ran it today some of my wu*.* files
> > changed (became corrupted). I'm just not 100% sure of the timing of
> > the corruption.
> >
> > Marty
> >

> > --
> > martyp
> > martyp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28898
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=791034
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in

Robert Aldwinckle

"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The fix doesn't seem to work for me. I replaced all of the WU*.* files in my
> system 32 but the WUDriver.dll and the WUaueng.dll will not register, they
> get a 0x80070716 error code

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
E:\>set /a c =0x716
1814
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The specified resource name cannot be found in the image file.
</cmd_output>

---

Marcus

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
Hey Shaun,

I did the following

1)Disable UAC
2)Restart
3)Try the above several times
4)Download Windows Update Agent and Cab file to the same directory
5)Installed as Administrator
6)Restart Computer
7)Copied winspool.drv to Windows/System32/ like above (e.g. takeown cacls
rgsv32)
8)System Restore to a very early set point (which only retriggered the
problem again)

Everything registered, and still i have an error 80080005 when i try to run
Windows Update!!!!

Argh, 8 hours of fighting with this machine. I wished this was a simple
process, my next step is yes the fatal step of reinstalling.

"Shaun" wrote:

> The fix doesn't seem to work for me. I replaced all of the WU*.* files in my
> system 32 but the WUDriver.dll and the WUaueng.dll will not register, they
> get a 0x80070716 error code "call to DLLRegisterServer failed" I've extracted
> them a few times to no avail, anyone have any ideas?
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > No I haven't.
> >
> > "martyp" wrote:
> >

> > > iZac and Paul - have you ever used TweakNow PowerPack? I ask because
> > > I'm suspicious that this program is the cause of the Windows Update
> > > problem. If I'm correct, after I ran it today some of my wu*.* files
> > > changed (became corrupted). I'm just not 100% sure of the timing of
> > > the corruption.
> > >
> > > Marty
> > >

> > > --
> > > martyp
> > > martyp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28898
> > > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=791034
> > >
> > > http://forums.techarena.in

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Vista Update - Screen blank missing text
From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

> Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more
> information, review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service
> vendor and refer to service-specific error code -2147467243. (0x80080005)
> This error message is similar to the "Error 5: Access is Denied" error message. To resolve this
> problem, follow the steps described in the "Error 5: Access is Denied" section.

Unfortunately, the steps listed for Error 5: Access Denied do not
include Vista and I do not know if running the command for XP will
resolve it.
The issue is that the access permissions for BITS have been modified.
The most likely cause for this is security software or malware that has
modified said access perms.

See if running AU Check (v78) with elevated rights resolves the issue:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

Download and *save* it. Close all open programs and browsers.
Temp disable the installed security software and any 3rd party firewall:

*** Enable the native Vista firewall as the system must be connected in
order to download required updating components ***

*Right* click au_check_v78_codeplex.exe and choose 'Run as
administrator'. Follow the prompts to allow it to run.
Wait awhile for it to complete it's operation.
Reboot.
BEFORE reenabling the installed security software, see if the system can
update now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten