Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712

Jumbo

Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
Update 938371 fails to install, green install bar gets almost to the the end
then stops.
Error code 80073712
Have tried both automatic install ( Windows Update) and standalone methods.
All other updates have been and continue to install correctly.
--
Jumbo
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
The errror indicates Windows Update file corruption. Check for the
presence of pending.xml in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS and delete it, if present.

If the above does not resolve the error, then see if reinstalling the
latest Version of the Windows Update Agent does -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
Use this article for your guide on installing it -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Jumbo wrote:

> Update 938371 fails to install, green install bar gets almost to the the end
> then stops.
> Error code 80073712
> Have tried both automatic install ( Windows Update) and standalone methods.
> All other updates have been and continue to install correctly.

Jumbo

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
Many Thanks,
1. there is no 'pending.xml' in the WINSXS folder. ( but have deleted
'798c79424c6ec801f301000028093411.pending.xml' from folder
WINSXS/Temp/Pending Renames' )-to no avail.
2. Have installed Windows Update Agent-no change, update still does not
install.
3. Error only occurs when try to install KB 938371 ( the vital pre-requsite
for Vista SP1) and an older KB 929735.
Have just installed other 'update Tuesday' updates successfully!
4. Have tried Automatic and Stand Alone installs
5. KB 938371 appears to stall with about 99% ( of green bar) complete
6. both updates fail with error code 80073712
7. have tried with all firewalls/antivirus disabled.
8. Have Microsoft EMEA Consumer Technical Support working on this
simultaneously.
--
Jumbo

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> The errror indicates Windows Update file corruption. Check for the
> presence of pending.xml in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS and delete it, if present.
>
> If the above does not resolve the error, then see if reinstalling the
> latest Version of the Windows Update Agent does -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
> Use this article for your guide on installing it -
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Jumbo wrote:
>
> > Update 938371 fails to install, green install bar gets almost to the the end
> > then stops.
> > Error code 80073712
> > Have tried both automatic install ( Windows Update) and standalone methods.
> > All other updates have been and continue to install correctly.

jgtj

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
I have the exact same symptoms, even to KB929735 failing last September, but
this has dropped from the list despite not having been done.

I have been around several forums,some of the suggestions are dangerous and
likely to cause problems.

If you find a solution please post it here.
Thanks.

"Jumbo" wrote:

> Many Thanks,
> 1. there is no 'pending.xml' in the WINSXS folder. ( but have deleted
> '798c79424c6ec801f301000028093411.pending.xml' from folder
> WINSXS/Temp/Pending Renames' )-to no avail.
> 2. Have installed Windows Update Agent-no change, update still does not
> install.
> 3. Error only occurs when try to install KB 938371 ( the vital pre-requsite
> for Vista SP1) and an older KB 929735.
> Have just installed other 'update Tuesday' updates successfully!
> 4. Have tried Automatic and Stand Alone installs
> 5. KB 938371 appears to stall with about 99% ( of green bar) complete
> 6. both updates fail with error code 80073712
> 7. have tried with all firewalls/antivirus disabled.
> 8. Have Microsoft EMEA Consumer Technical Support working on this
> simultaneously.
> --
> Jumbo
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > The errror indicates Windows Update file corruption. Check for the
> > presence of pending.xml in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS and delete it, if present.
> >
> > If the above does not resolve the error, then see if reinstalling the
> > latest Version of the Windows Update Agent does -
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
> > Use this article for your guide on installing it -
> > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172
> >

> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > Jumbo wrote:
> >
> > > Update 938371 fails to install, green install bar gets almost to the the end
> > > then stops.
> > > Error code 80073712
> > > Have tried both automatic install ( Windows Update) and standalone methods.
> > > All other updates have been and continue to install correctly.

help me somebody pls

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712

I have the exact same problem with KB938371
I have tried the same instructions given above but I still have the same
problem
I have even tried logging a call with Microsoft support which was a waste of
time
Can someone PLEASE HELP

"jgtj" wrote:

> I have the exact same symptoms, even to KB929735 failing last September, but
> this has dropped from the list despite not having been done.
>
> I have been around several forums,some of the suggestions are dangerous and
> likely to cause problems.
>
> If you find a solution please post it here.
> Thanks.
>
> "Jumbo" wrote:
>
> > Many Thanks,
> > 1. there is no 'pending.xml' in the WINSXS folder. ( but have deleted
> > '798c79424c6ec801f301000028093411.pending.xml' from folder
> > WINSXS/Temp/Pending Renames' )-to no avail.
> > 2. Have installed Windows Update Agent-no change, update still does not
> > install.
> > 3. Error only occurs when try to install KB 938371 ( the vital pre-requsite
> > for Vista SP1) and an older KB 929735.
> > Have just installed other 'update Tuesday' updates successfully!
> > 4. Have tried Automatic and Stand Alone installs
> > 5. KB 938371 appears to stall with about 99% ( of green bar) complete
> > 6. both updates fail with error code 80073712
> > 7. have tried with all firewalls/antivirus disabled.
> > 8. Have Microsoft EMEA Consumer Technical Support working on this
> > simultaneously.
> > --
> > Jumbo
> >

> > "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > The errror indicates Windows Update file corruption. Check for the
> > > presence of pending.xml in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS and delete it, if present.
> > >
> > > If the above does not resolve the error, then see if reinstalling the
> > > latest Version of the Windows Update Agent does -
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
> > > Use this article for your guide on installing it -
> > > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172
> > >

> > > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > > ===============
> > > *-343-* FDNY
> > > Never Forgotten
> > > ===============

help me somebody pls

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712

Forgot to mention, I also have the same problem with KB929735.

Basically I have the EXACT same problem as Jumbo.

Jumbo, if you find a solution, please post a reply back here for me.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"help me somebody pls" wrote:

> ************************************************** ********
> I have the exact same problem with KB938371
> ************************************************** ********
> I have tried the same instructions given above but I still have the same
> problem
> ************************************************** ********
> I have even tried logging a call with Microsoft support which was a waste of
> time
> ************************************************** ********
> Can someone PLEASE HELP
> ************************************************** ********
>

> "jgtj" wrote:
>
> > I have the exact same symptoms, even to KB929735 failing last September, but
> > this has dropped from the list despite not having been done.
> >
> > I have been around several forums,some of the suggestions are dangerous and
> > likely to cause problems.
> >
> > If you find a solution please post it here.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jumbo" wrote:
> >
> > > Many Thanks,
> > > 1. there is no 'pending.xml' in the WINSXS folder. ( but have deleted
> > > '798c79424c6ec801f301000028093411.pending.xml' from folder
> > > WINSXS/Temp/Pending Renames' )-to no avail.
> > > 2. Have installed Windows Update Agent-no change, update still does not
> > > install.
> > > 3. Error only occurs when try to install KB 938371 ( the vital pre-requsite
> > > for Vista SP1) and an older KB 929735.
> > > Have just installed other 'update Tuesday' updates successfully!
> > > 4. Have tried Automatic and Stand Alone installs
> > > 5. KB 938371 appears to stall with about 99% ( of green bar) complete
> > > 6. both updates fail with error code 80073712
> > > 7. have tried with all firewalls/antivirus disabled.
> > > 8. Have Microsoft EMEA Consumer Technical Support working on this
> > > simultaneously.
> > > --
> > > Jumbo

Jumbo

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
I have had help from Microsoft, they took remote control of my computer and
did exactly the same things suggested by everybody else, all to no avail.
Case closed with the advice that my computer probably doesn't need the update
and that when Vista SP1 is installed to try and install the update then if
SP1 requires it....hmmmm?

Now if you all have a look in:
Control Panel
Problem Reports and Solutions
View Problem History
....I have 145 errors related to:

Windows Modules Installer

and there are 4 errors that seem to occur after every attempt to install
that pesky 938371 update..........here they are:
So Microsoft experts get digging/figuring what is going on, a lot of us have
problems and there is no apparent solution except perhaps wiping the hard
disc and re-installing Vista from scratch.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WindowsWcpOtherFailure3
OsVersion: 6.0.6001.18000:1
File: base\xml\udom_microdom.cpp
Function: RtlCreateMicrodom
Line: 4493
StackHash: 0x763464f9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 171452803

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WindowsWcpStoreCorruption
OsVersion: 6.0.6001.18000:1
Type: FileHashMismatch
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 160741689

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: CbsPackageServicingFailure
Stack Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Package: Package_for_KB938371~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.2 5
Failure Source: Execute
Start State: Staged
Target State: Installed
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 171963193

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2
OsVersion: 6.0.6000
File: base\xml\udom_microdom.cpp
Function: RtlCreateMicrodom
Line: 4493
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 12111983

--
Jumbo

"help me somebody pls" wrote:

> Forgot to mention, I also have the same problem with KB929735.
>
> Basically I have the EXACT same problem as Jumbo.
>
> Jumbo, if you find a solution, please post a reply back here for me.
>
> Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> "help me somebody pls" wrote:
>

> > ************************************************** ********
> > I have the exact same problem with KB938371
> > ************************************************** ********
> > I have tried the same instructions given above but I still have the same
> > problem
> > ************************************************** ********
> > I have even tried logging a call with Microsoft support which was a waste of
> > time
> > ************************************************** ********
> > Can someone PLEASE HELP
> > ************************************************** ********
> >

> > "jgtj" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the exact same symptoms, even to KB929735 failing last September, but
> > > this has dropped from the list despite not having been done.
> > >
> > > I have been around several forums,some of the suggestions are dangerous and
> > > likely to cause problems.
> > >
> > > If you find a solution please post it here.
> > > Thanks.

help me somebody pls

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
Hi

I have just checked my "Problem Reports and Solutions" list and I have the
EXACT same errors as Jumbo just described.

Someone please help as update KB938371 is a pre-requisite for Vista Service
Pack 1.

Many thanks

"Jumbo" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Jumbo, if you find a solution, please post a reply back here for me.
> >
> > Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > "help me somebody pls" wrote:
> >

> > > ************************************************** ********
> > > I have the exact same problem with KB938371
> > > ************************************************** ********
> > > I have tried the same instructions given above but I still have the same
> > > problem
> > > ************************************************** ********
> > > I have even tried logging a call with Microsoft support which was a waste of
> > > time
> > > ************************************************** ********
> > > Can someone PLEASE HELP
> > > ************************************************** ********

Jumbo

RE: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR SHOUTING, BUT MICROSOFT THEMSELVES HAVE FIXED IT!!!!!
Just run my Windows Updates, Important update KB947821 installed ( had me
worried when it hung at 60% for 30mins, then installed. Next I tried the
pesky KB 938371 that has caused me so much heartache and it installed!!! SO
EVERYBODY GET KB947821 ( dated 18Mar2008) NOW and it should be the cure-all
for all our problems.
Best of Luck
--
Jumbo

"Jumbo" wrote:

> Update 938371 fails to install, green install bar gets almost to the the end
> then stops.
> Error code 80073712
> Have tried both automatic install ( Windows Update) and standalone methods.
> All other updates have been and continue to install correctly.
> --
> Jumbo

Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073712
Description of the CheckSUR update for Windows Vista and for Windows Vista
for x64-based systems:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

--
~PA Bear