PROBLEM AFTER OFFICE 2003 SERVICE PACK 3 UPDATE

Maestro

PROBLEM AFTER OFFICE 2003 SERVICE PACK 3 UPDATE
Tonight I updated my desktop computer to Windows' Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
Since doing so, my computer does not start up or work correctly.

All the icons on the desktop are not correctly displayed. If I try and
click on any of them, I get this error message for each and every program:

Windows cannot open this file.
File: Digital Line Detect (for example).lnk
To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it.

It seems that the program is with the .lnk file association.

This is a most annoying problem, and one I need to get fixed immediately.
TaurArian

Re: PROBLEM AFTER OFFICE 2003 SERVICE PACK 3 UPDATE
Have you tried removing the update or doing a system restore to see if that rectifies the
problem?

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Maestro" <Maestro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Tonight I updated my desktop computer to Windows' Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
| Since doing so, my computer does not start up or work correctly.
|
| All the icons on the desktop are not correctly displayed. If I try and
| click on any of them, I get this error message for each and every program:
|
| Windows cannot open this file.
| File: Digital Line Detect (for example).lnk
| To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it.
|
| It seems that the program is with the .lnk file association.
|
| This is a most annoying problem, and one I need to get fixed immediately.

Maestro

Re: PROBLEM AFTER OFFICE 2003 SERVICE PACK 3 UPDATE
You cannot do a System Restore or anything. Every program or function you
try to access elicits the same response: "Windows cannot open this file...To
open it, Windows need to know what program was used to create it."

It seems to me that what has happened is that all the .exe file extensions
have been renamed to .lnk, and I think this has something to do with the
Lavasoft Ad-Aware program I have on the computer.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Have you tried removing the update or doing a system restore to see if that rectifies the
> problem?
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Maestro" <Maestro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Tonight I updated my desktop computer to Windows' Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
> | Since doing so, my computer does not start up or work correctly.
> |
> | All the icons on the desktop are not correctly displayed. If I try and
> | click on any of them, I get this error message for each and every program:
> |
> | Windows cannot open this file.
> | File: Digital Line Detect (for example).lnk
> | To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it.
> |
> | It seems that the program is with the .lnk file association.
> |
> | This is a most annoying problem, and one I need to get fixed immediately.

TaurArian

Re: PROBLEM AFTER OFFICE 2003 SERVICE PACK 3 UPDATE
Sounds like the file association for the .exe files has been wiped, could
also be due to virus infection.

For Windows XP - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Look for the exe fix. See if that helps to get you up and running so you can
further investigate what happened.

For Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Please always state what operating system you have as it saves me guessing.

"Maestro" wrote:

> You cannot do a System Restore or anything. Every program or function you
> try to access elicits the same response: "Windows cannot open this file...To
> open it, Windows need to know what program was used to create it."
>
> It seems to me that what has happened is that all the .exe file extensions
> have been renamed to .lnk, and I think this has something to do with the
> Lavasoft Ad-Aware program I have on the computer.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried removing the update or doing a system restore to see if that rectifies the
> > problem?
> >
> > --
> > ====================================
> > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> > ====================================
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> > http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> > Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
> >

> > "Maestro" <Maestro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | Tonight I updated my desktop computer to Windows' Office 2003 Service Pack 3.
> > | Since doing so, my computer does not start up or work correctly.
> > |
> > | All the icons on the desktop are not correctly displayed. If I try and
> > | click on any of them, I get this error message for each and every program:
> > |
> > | Windows cannot open this file.
> > | File: Digital Line Detect (for example).lnk
> > | To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it.
> > |
> > | It seems that the program is with the .lnk file association.
> > |
> > | This is a most annoying problem, and one I need to get fixed immediately.

micosoft.public.windowsupdate