Windows don't find Explorer.exe

Philippe

Windows don't find Explorer.exe
Hello,

I use a Acer Aspire 5670 Notebook with Windows XP Home since 2 years without
problems.

Windows start normally asking for user password
but the desktop was empty : no icons, no taskbar, no right clic avaliable

I could only launch the Tak Manager (CTRL ALT DEL)

1) If I try to lauch manually EXPLORER.EXE trough the Task Manager,
I could find it in Windows directory
but when I launch it error message :
Windows don't find Explorer.exe

2) I tried to register EXPLORER.EXE without success

3) I started in Console mode and launch all antivirus cleaner
without find any.

4) I install a fresh Windows XP Home on the existant
as UPDATE using the I386 directory on the Acer Notebook.
Update Process was completed without error messages
but after all restarting the result is the same.

Trough the Task Manager, all installed software run perfectly
and network is active.

I suppose that the registry was corrupted after a Windows Update.

How restore the Windows Explorer ?

Best regards

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Windows don't find Explorer.exe
(cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
"Philippe" <pdaubresse@nordnet.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I use a Acer Aspire 5670 Notebook with Windows XP Home since 2 years without
> problems.
>
> Windows start normally asking for user password
> but the desktop was empty : no icons, no taskbar, no right clic avaliable
>
> I could only launch the Tak Manager (CTRL ALT DEL)
>
> 1) If I try to lauch manually EXPLORER.EXE trough the Task Manager,
> I could find it in Windows directory
> but when I launch it error message :
> Windows don't find Explorer.exe

That message probably really means that some other key module that
explorer.exe loads with is missing or broken.

Have you tried looking for more details about your symptom in the
Event log? (e.g. using eventvwr.exe)

Also, if you have ProcMon you could use it to discover more details
about your error by invoking its Boot Logging option.

> 2) I tried to register EXPLORER.EXE without success

explorer.exe is not registerable (no DllRegisterServer entry point)

http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp...238&l=55&det=1

Some of the modules that are listed as dependencies are registerable.

> 3) I started in Console mode and launch all antivirus cleaner
> without find any.
>
> 4) I install a fresh Windows XP Home on the existant
> as UPDATE using the I386 directory on the Acer Notebook.
> Update Process was completed without error messages
> but after all restarting the result is the same.
>
> Trough the Task Manager, all installed software run perfectly
> and network is active.
>
> I suppose that the registry was corrupted after a Windows Update.
>
> How restore the Windows Explorer ?

If you can't see anything specific to try my guess would be that
sfc /scannow would be the next thing to try. However, the only
time that I tried that I ran into trouble when it wanted me to mount
the CD for XPsp2. (I only have the CD for XP base.) I'm not sure
but I think the command will accept that and even try to use copies
of newer versions if it finds them in dllcache or ServicePackFiles.

> Best regards

BTW WU is not the best newsgroup to be looking for system support
for your OS. Cross-posting to an XP newsgroup.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

micosoft.public.windowsupdate