Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu

dvo

Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu
The following advice finally has solved the problem with which I had been
struggling for months: on my XP installation, several times an hour, 100% CPU
usage for several minutes for no reason, where taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe
appeared to consume most of the CPU cycles.

Run all these commands in a command prompt one after the other
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 WUAUENG1.dll
regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL
regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL
regsvr32 WUAUENG1.DLL
regsvr32 ATL.DLL
regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL
regsvr32 WUPS.DLL
regsvr32 WUPS2.DLL
regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL
net stop WuAuServ
rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_buggy
net start WuAuServ

So not some "real" malware was the problem, but - no surprise - the
MickeySoft products themselves! This is what I really hate about that
company: they make billions of dollars, but still produce loads of bugs
severely affecting millions of people, and are unable (or not willing?) to
fix their own bugs themselves.
I avoid using Windopey as much as I can, but when I have to use it (mainly
at work),
I use it via vmware on my Ubuntu Linux system.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu
The issue was most likely related to corruption in
SoftwareDistrbution\DataStore due to it being scanned by antiviral
software when files are locked by system processes -
Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Either that or - When you use Automatic Updates to scan for updates or
to apply updates to applications that use Windows Installer, you
experience issues that involve the Svchost.exe process
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494

Not really hard to fix but not really easy to find the fixes <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

dvo wrote:

> The following advice finally has solved the problem with which I had been
> struggling for months: on my XP installation, several times an hour, 100% CPU
> usage for several minutes for no reason, where taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe
> appeared to consume most of the CPU cycles.
>
> Run all these commands in a command prompt one after the other
> regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.dll
> regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.DLL
> regsvr32 ATL.DLL
> regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS2.DLL
> regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL
> net stop WuAuServ
> rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_buggy
> net start WuAuServ
>
> So not some "real" malware was the problem, but - no surprise - the
> MickeySoft products themselves! This is what I really hate about that
> company: they make billions of dollars, but still produce loads of bugs
> severely affecting millions of people, and are unable (or not willing?) to
> fix their own bugs themselves.
> I avoid using Windopey as much as I can, but when I have to use it (mainly
> at work),
> I use it via vmware on my Ubuntu Linux system.

Paul

Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu
You've just described what is referred to as; monopoly. eg. microsoft. see,
microsoft

Try this sometime. Upgrade your hard disk driver 4 days before finals. Then
about 3 am, on finals day, reboot your PC and be prompted to upgrade your
registration keys, because VISTA IS NO LONGER GENUINE! Then after several
attempts to register, call up microsoft and talk to a female service agent
with a thick irish accent about your problem.

"dvo" <dvo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The following advice finally has solved the problem with which I had been
> struggling for months: on my XP installation, several times an hour, 100%
> CPU
> usage for several minutes for no reason, where taskmgr.exe and
> explorer.exe
> appeared to consume most of the CPU cycles.
>
> Run all these commands in a command prompt one after the other
> regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.dll
> regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.DLL
> regsvr32 ATL.DLL
> regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS2.DLL
> regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL
> net stop WuAuServ
> rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_buggy
> net start WuAuServ
>
> So not some "real" malware was the problem, but - no surprise - the
> MickeySoft products themselves! This is what I really hate about that
> company: they make billions of dollars, but still produce loads of bugs
> severely affecting millions of people, and are unable (or not willing?) to
> fix their own bugs themselves.
> I avoid using Windopey as much as I can, but when I have to use it (mainly
> at work),
> I use it via vmware on my Ubuntu Linux system.

Steve

Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu
Thanks DVO!

This problem has arisen in the last week on two of my friends' computers.
After figuring out which service was causing the svchost process to max out
your instructions allowed me to fix the wuauserv quite quickly.

I wonder why this is happening? Is the update database being messed up by
the release of XP SP3?

Cheers
SB

"dvo" wrote:

> The following advice finally has solved the problem with which I had been
> struggling for months: on my XP installation, several times an hour, 100% CPU
> usage for several minutes for no reason, where taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe
> appeared to consume most of the CPU cycles.
>
> Run all these commands in a command prompt one after the other
> regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.dll
> regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.DLL
> regsvr32 ATL.DLL
> regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS2.DLL
> regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL
> net stop WuAuServ
> rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_buggy
> net start WuAuServ
>
> So not some "real" malware was the problem, but - no surprise - the
> MickeySoft products themselves! This is what I really hate about that
> company: they make billions of dollars, but still produce loads of bugs
> severely affecting millions of people, and are unable (or not willing?) to
> fix their own bugs themselves.
> I avoid using Windopey as much as I can, but when I have to use it (mainly
> at work),
> I use it via vmware on my Ubuntu Linux system.

SirDave

Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu
Thanks dvo,

I just put the commands into a script and ran it on my laptop and it nows
works fine i.e., no cpu issue.

I have had this problem for about 2 years and i just used to turn off
wuauserv service and do manual updates.
I would even get the problem after rebuilding a machine from scratch with
slipstreamed XP SP2 install media so i assumed it must be a msft problem...
but now it seems to me like it could be my AV which was causing the issue all
along. (but as usual msft cops the all the blame!)

As far as i'm concerned no software vendor is infallible or ultimately
better than the other as they all force products out the door earlier then
necessary to hit Sales Targets or quite simplt as the code is written by
humans then it will never be free of human error (NT, LiNix, Unix...) etc,
the trick is to make your own informed decision and used the best bits of
each!

SirDave

"dvo" wrote:

> The following advice finally has solved the problem with which I had been
> struggling for months: on my XP installation, several times an hour, 100% CPU
> usage for several minutes for no reason, where taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe
> appeared to consume most of the CPU cycles.
>
> Run all these commands in a command prompt one after the other
> regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.dll
> regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL
> regsvr32 WUAUENG1.DLL
> regsvr32 ATL.DLL
> regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS.DLL
> regsvr32 WUPS2.DLL
> regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL
> net stop WuAuServ
> rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_buggy
> net start WuAuServ
>
> So not some "real" malware was the problem, but - no surprise - the
> MickeySoft products themselves! This is what I really hate about that
> company: they make billions of dollars, but still produce loads of bugs
> severely affecting millions of people, and are unable (or not willing?) to
> fix their own bugs themselves.
> I avoid using Windopey as much as I can, but when I have to use it (mainly
> at work),
> I use it via vmware on my Ubuntu Linux system.

Charlie

Re: Windows Update Server hogs all cpu
Hi DVO, before throwing my PC out of the window I'm going to try to run the
commands you detailed. I just go the Run function and type each line in then
enter? then onto the next one? Should I also (first) disable windows
automatic updates?

Help very much appreciated.

Thanks