WKSSVC.exe

vwoz

WKSSVC.exe
I have a Win XP Pro system that every time it boots I get a dialogue box for
the file WKSSVC.exe asking if I want to install it or cancel install. If I
choose to install it nothing happens just as if I chose cancel. I did some
research and found the only link it has to XP is through MSN Messenger. I
reinstalled and updated messenger and its still comes up with every boot. How
can I get rid of the dialogue box to install this file? I've tried to find
the file in the temp folder, and even performed a search for it with no go!!
I find a couple .dll files with the same name but no .exe file. I need to get
rid of this damn box!!!!!!!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: WKSSVC.exe
vwoz wrote:

> I have a Win XP Pro system that every time it boots I get a dialogue box
> for the file WKSSVC.exe asking if I want to install it or cancel install.
> If I choose to install it nothing happens just as if I chose cancel. I
> did some research and found the only link it has to XP is through MSN
> Messenger. I reinstalled and updated messenger and its still comes up
> with every boot. How can I get rid of the dialogue box to install this
> file? I've tried to find the file in the temp folder, and even performed
> a search for it with no go!! I find a couple .dll files with the same
> name but no .exe file. I need to get rid of this damn box!!!!!!!!! Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Shawn

*Alert worm*
*wkssvc.exe* :
http://www.liutilities.com/products/...ibrary/wkssvc/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star...exe-14290.html
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...T.CLZ&VSect=Sn

"Checking for/Help with Spyware, Malware and Hijackware":
http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/Post_4820.aspx

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
My home: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Gis Bun

RE: WKSSVC.exe
Judging from Vincenzo's links in his message, your PC is lacking security
updates and/or your anti-virus isn't doing it's job as this worm has been
around for almost 5 years. If you're not using one of the "bigger" AV
vendors, time to switch.