installer 3.1 will not install

Roxy

installer 3.1 will not install
im new to this but i will try to explain my problem i did a virus scan in
safe mode and now i can't get anything to open on my desk top or run
anything. i checked my virus scan and it has quarantined 7 files that had a
virus i tried to clean them but i couldn't and then it said not to restore
and try to clean them after receving the next security update. i have had a
update ready for days installer 3.1 and everytime i try to install it doesn't
work gives and error code 0x8007f0f4. i have xp home. can someone please
help me i have no idea whats going on. i thought that maybe i could restore
these fails if i could get the install to work . if this helps i just had a
new board put in last month everything was working fine utill now thanks for
any help.
James Robertson

RE: installer 3.1 will not install
I can't get installer 3.1 to install either. I get Error Code: 0x80070005

"Roxy" wrote:

> im new to this but i will try to explain my problem i did a virus scan in
> safe mode and now i can't get anything to open on my desk top or run
> anything. i checked my virus scan and it has quarantined 7 files that had a
> virus i tried to clean them but i couldn't and then it said not to restore
> and try to clean them after receving the next security update. i have had a
> update ready for days installer 3.1 and everytime i try to install it doesn't
> work gives and error code 0x8007f0f4. i have xp home. can someone please
> help me i have no idea whats going on. i thought that maybe i could restore
> these fails if i could get the install to work . if this helps i just had a
> new board put in last month everything was working fine utill now thanks for
> any help.

Sparker

RE: installer 3.1 will not install
Maybe this will be helpful: I did a repair install of XP pro and of course,
none of my previously installed hotfixes/updates were 'seen' by Windows
because original versions of the files were most likely installed back into
the System32 folder (although the uninstall folders still existed under the
Windows folder). The very first update that it wanted to install was the
installer 3.1 update, but it always failed. I basically went to the KB
article relating to this particular update and downloaded the install file
from that page. The article was KB893803. I saved it to my machine, ran it,
and it re-installed the necessary files. I no longer received a balloon
saying that the "installer 3.1" update was ready to be downloaded (and
naturally, it reappeared in my Add/Remove program applet). Hope that helps....

"James Robertson" wrote:

> I can't get installer 3.1 to install either. I get Error Code: 0x80070005
>

> "Roxy" wrote:
>
> > im new to this but i will try to explain my problem i did a virus scan in
> > safe mode and now i can't get anything to open on my desk top or run
> > anything. i checked my virus scan and it has quarantined 7 files that had a
> > virus i tried to clean them but i couldn't and then it said not to restore
> > and try to clean them after receving the next security update. i have had a
> > update ready for days installer 3.1 and everytime i try to install it doesn't
> > work gives and error code 0x8007f0f4. i have xp home. can someone please
> > help me i have no idea whats going on. i thought that maybe i could restore
> > these fails if i could get the install to work . if this helps i just had a
> > new board put in last month everything was working fine utill now thanks for
> > any help.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: installer 3.1 will not install
*Assuming* that the antivirus software quarantined vital system files
that it claimed were infected, you can attempt to run sfc /scannow to
replace said files: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

An alternative would be to boot to Safe Mode and remove the files from
quarantine BUT since I can not determine if the files are really
infected or not, that would not be a wise move

Run sfc /scannow first.
Then reinstall the latest version of the Windows Update Agent:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172

Then either visit Windows Update to get the latest Windows Installer
installed or, download it manually, save it, when the download is
complete close the browser, and then install it:

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Roxy wrote:

> im new to this but i will try to explain my problem i did a virus scan in
> safe mode and now i can't get anything to open on my desk top or run
> anything. i checked my virus scan and it has quarantined 7 files that had a
> virus i tried to clean them but i couldn't and then it said not to restore
> and try to clean them after receving the next security update. i have had a
> update ready for days installer 3.1 and everytime i try to install it doesn't
> work gives and error code 0x8007f0f4. i have xp home. can someone please
> help me i have no idea whats going on. i thought that maybe i could restore
> these fails if i could get the install to work . if this helps i just had a
> new board put in last month everything was working fine utill now thanks for
> any help.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: installer 3.1 will not install
0x80070005 is a Permissions issue, James. Either post the KB893803v2.log
located in the WINDOWS directory [folder] or, reset file and registry
permissions.
To open the KB893803v2.log go to Start > Run > copy and paste the below
into the Open: line and then click OK or press Enter

%windir%\KB893803v2.log

Go over the log and locate the section that contains the 0x80070005
error. Post back with that section and the next 10 or so lines.
Or, visit here and run the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry
permissions: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten