Windows Update

AndrewAK

Windows Update
I have Windows XP Home edition with Apache, MySQL and PHP 5 installed. I keep
getting a message from windows update that updates are ready to be installed.
When I return to my computer after shutting down and installing updates, the
message returns again, updates ready to be installed. After I've installed
the updates that the previous message referred to. Is this some kind of
scam/attack? Or is Microsoft actually putting out several updates?
Rod B

RE: Windows Update

Andrew,

I'm having a very similar problem an cannot find an answer.

I run XP Home SP2. Every so often, the Windows Update icon appears in the
system tray to tell me 'Updates are ready for your computer'. I'm offered 3
updates including security ones and the latest version of the malicious
software removal tool. When I 'click here to download the updates', it never
gets beyond 0% and finally disppears, only for the whole cycle to be repeated
a day or so later.

When I try to use manual updates, I get 'The website is encountering a
problem and cannot display the page you are requesting', and error code
0x8007000B.

When I search the knowledge base for that error code I get lots of stuff
about a different problem in Vista but little about XP, and nothing that
exactly matches my problem. I've tried a process suggested elsewhere in the
Updates forum of shutting down Auto Updates, cleaning out the Downloaded auto
updates, and then re-starting Auto Updating: no joy.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

Re: Windows Update
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
=====================
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
==========================

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AndrewAK wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home edition with Apache, MySQL and PHP 5 installed. I
> keep getting a message from windows update that updates are ready to be
> installed. When I return to my computer after shutting down and installing
> updates, the message returns again, updates ready to be installed. After
> I've installed the updates that the previous message referred to. Is this
> some kind of scam/attack? Or is Microsoft actually putting out several
> updates?

Re: Windows Update
It's always best to begin a new thread about /your/ problems, Rod.

See these previous conversations about the error:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rt=0&scoring=d

Rod B wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I'm having a very similar problem an cannot find an answer.
>
> I run XP Home SP2. Every so often, the Windows Update icon appears in the
> system tray to tell me 'Updates are ready for your computer'. I'm offered
> 3
> updates including security ones and the latest version of the malicious
> software removal tool. When I 'click here to download the updates', it
> never
> gets beyond 0% and finally disppears, only for the whole cycle to be
> repeated a day or so later.
>
> When I try to use manual updates, I get 'The website is encountering a
> problem and cannot display the page you are requesting', and error code
> 0x8007000B.
>
> When I search the knowledge base for that error code I get lots of stuff
> about a different problem in Vista but little about XP, and nothing that
> exactly matches my problem. I've tried a process suggested elsewhere in
> the
> Updates forum of shutting down Auto Updates, cleaning out the Downloaded
> auto updates, and then re-starting Auto Updating: no joy.
>
> Anyone got any more suggestions?

Bob Eyster

Re: Windows Update
I was having problem with update failing in Vista and was told to rename the
"windows/winsxs/backup" tech support. Check to see if you have the directory
in XP?

--

Bob Eyster
MS Windows Vista Home Premium