[Error number: 0x8DDD0004]

Eli

[Error number: 0x8DDD0004]
When trying to load Windows Explorer update, I encounter the following
error:
[Error number: 0x8DDD0004]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page
you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the
problem:
Refresh the page.
In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to
the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer (Add-ons Disabled) mode only prevents the use of
ActiveX controls, including those used by the Microsoft Update
website. To get updates using this browser mode, you need to turn on
Automatic Updates on your computer or visit the Windows Update
website.

I have followed suggestions offered on the web sit and been
unsuccessful. If these types of problems keep occurring, I may soon
become and Apple user!

I would appreciate feed back from anyone else who has encounteredm and
perhaps resolved, this problem. --Eli
TaurArian

Re: [Error number: 0x8DDD0004]
1. Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator (if you are not the Administrator, then
log in as an Administrator and try Windows Update again).

2. Make sure your firewall is not blocking the Update site and check any pop up stopper
programs.

3. Now check in IE tools\manage add-ons (Win XP SP2 only) making sure that
WuWebControlClass or MuWebControlClass is enabled. (Select "Add-ons that have been used by
Internet Explorer" or it may be located in "Downloaded activex controls" in the "Show:"
drop down list)

4. You may also wish to check c:\windows\Downloaded Program Files to see if anything is
corrupted there.

5. Make sure you accepted the Microsoft Trust Certificate
To turn on automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Note
.. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or
Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.

6. Check security settings, make sure they are not set too high

7. Delete cookies and temp files

8. Re-register these files, by clicking Start, Run and typing:-

REGSVR32 wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 atl.dll
REGSVR32 wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 wups.dll

You should receive a successful message after each one.
Try Windows Update Again.

If that hasn't helped you may need to re-register some more files:-

net stop cryptsvc
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
net start cryptsvc

You should receive a successful message after each one.

If necessary:-

Reinstall the ActiveX files - this article will show you how
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916259
The Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site do not scan for updates when
you repair a failed installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or of Windows XP Service
Pack 1

--
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia