Windows Vista and IE7

Tom Hannan

Windows Vista and IE7
Vista pre-loaded on Acer laptop. After recent updates "IE cannot display web
page"; restored to January and worked OK, then updates automatically loaded
and again IE7 cannot displey etc. Checked updates and see that KB944533
failed - has this got anything to do with my problem? Should I restore yet
again and then turn off automatic updates? I'm a greybeard and not very
technical - words of one syllale will do. Thanks
Leigh Hebbard

RE: Windows Vista and IE7
I am having the same problem! Vista Home Premium pre-installed on a Dell
desktop w/MS Office 2007 Professional. I can no longer access MS updates.
What in the world is this about? Is anyone at MS looking at this problem?

"Tom Hannan" wrote:

> Vista pre-loaded on Acer laptop. After recent updates "IE cannot display web
> page"; restored to January and worked OK, then updates automatically loaded
> and again IE7 cannot displey etc. Checked updates and see that KB944533
> failed - has this got anything to do with my problem? Should I restore yet
> again and then turn off automatic updates? I'm a greybeard and not very
> technical - words of one syllale will do. Thanks

Re: Windows Vista and IE7
Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)" OR
"Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB944533)" (whichever is
listed) via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at
top right) and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Open Windows Update and install any Critical Updates offered. If "Root
Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates category, you might
install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tom Hannan wrote:
> Vista pre-loaded on Acer laptop. After recent updates "IE cannot display
> web page"; restored to January and worked OK, then updates automatically
> loaded and again IE7 cannot displey etc. Checked updates and see that
> KB944533 failed - has this got anything to do with my problem? Should I
> restore yet again and then turn off automatic updates? I'm a greybeard
> and not very technical - words of one syllale will do. Thanks

Re: Windows Vista and IE7
The vast majority of Vista and IE7 users are NOT having such problems.

Please begin a new thread about /your/ problems, Leigh. Thank you.