mouse drivers stopped working after update

rob

mouse drivers stopped working after update
hello. I updated windows vista a few days ago and shortly after my computer
froze. I didn't think anything of it but when i restarted the computer
windows would not boot up. i ran the repair utility off the windows cd and it
booted up fine except I didn’t have a mouse pointer. So, navigating with the
keyboard, I checked the drivers in the device manager. The mouse driver had
one of those yellow “!” marks next to it. whenever I try updating, or
reinstalling the driver I get this message.
“Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error
while attempting to install it.” “The driver installation file for this
device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written
for windows 95 or later."

So, I unhooked my laser mouse from the USB and plugged in an old trackball
mouse into the mouse jack to find the old mouse doesn’t work either. Windows
says the drivers may be corrupt or missing(code 39). And when I try updating
the driver it tells me it could not find driver software for the device. I
ran a virus scan which turned up clean. It seems my only solution is to run a
repair installs of vista, but I only have 10 gigs free on the hard drive that
it is currently installed on so vista wont give me the option to run an
upgrade install, it only gives me the option to run a custom install.
Reinstalling all the programs in my computer is going to be a nightmare.
I’ve been using this mouse on my computer for over a year with no problems.
Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
Thank you in advance.

I'm running windows vista home premium.

realcestmoi

Re: mouse drivers stopped working after update
Hi there,

Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
Microsoft hardware.

If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper go
to the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.

If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.

If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
restore from the system backup you hopefully made.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello. I updated windows vista a few days ago and shortly after my
> computer
> froze. I didn't think anything of it but when i restarted the computer
> windows would not boot up. i ran the repair utility off the windows cd and
> it
> booted up fine except I didn't have a mouse pointer. So, navigating with
> the
> keyboard, I checked the drivers in the device manager. The mouse driver
> had
> one of those yellow "!" marks next to it. whenever I try updating, or
> reinstalling the driver I get this message.
> "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error
> while attempting to install it." "The driver installation file for this
> device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was
> written
> for windows 95 or later."
>
> So, I unhooked my laser mouse from the USB and plugged in an old trackball
> mouse into the mouse jack to find the old mouse doesn't work either.
> Windows
> says the drivers may be corrupt or missing(code 39). And when I try
> updating
> the driver it tells me it could not find driver software for the device.
> ran a virus scan which turned up clean. It seems my only solution is to
> run a
> repair installs of vista, but I only have 10 gigs free on the hard drive
> that
> it is currently installed on so vista wont give me the option to run an
> upgrade install, it only gives me the option to run a custom install.
> Reinstalling all the programs in my computer is going to be a nightmare.
> I've been using this mouse on my computer for over a year with no
> problems.
> Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> I'm running windows vista home premium.

rob

Re: mouse drivers stopped working after update
hey, thanks for the responding. i've tried loading the last known good
configuration, but since windows loads up just fine nothing changes.
unfortunately, i never made a system backup so i can't restore to any
previous dates. lesson learned. if the update i installed included any
drivers for my hardware, i was unaware of it. i've tried going into windows
update and uninstalling the update, but it didn't solve the problem. i'm
about ready to give up and just reinstall windows. i don't think i'll be
downloading anymore updates form microsoft either. i don't understand why
they would take out the "repair install" option that win xp had. or why i
need 15gb of free space to run the upgrade install when visa is already
installed.

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
> Microsoft hardware.
>
> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper go
> to the manufacturers website to look for an updated driver.
>
> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
>
> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
> known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
> restore from the system backup you hopefully made.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>

> "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello. I updated windows vista a few days ago and shortly after my
> > computer
> > froze. I didn't think anything of it but when i restarted the computer
> > windows would not boot up. i ran the repair utility off the windows cd and
> > it
> > booted up fine except I didn't have a mouse pointer. So, navigating with
> > the
> > keyboard, I checked the drivers in the device manager. The mouse driver
> > had
> > one of those yellow "!" marks next to it. whenever I try updating, or
> > reinstalling the driver I get this message.
> > "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error
> > while attempting to install it." "The driver installation file for this
> > device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was
> > written
> > for windows 95 or later."
> >
> > So, I unhooked my laser mouse from the USB and plugged in an old trackball
> > mouse into the mouse jack to find the old mouse doesn't work either.
> > Windows
> > says the drivers may be corrupt or missing(code 39). And when I try
> > updating
> > the driver it tells me it could not find driver software for the device.
> > ran a virus scan which turned up clean. It seems my only solution is to
> > run a
> > repair installs of vista, but I only have 10 gigs free on the hard drive
> > that
> > it is currently installed on so vista wont give me the option to run an
> > upgrade install, it only gives me the option to run a custom install.
> > Reinstalling all the programs in my computer is going to be a nightmare.
> > I've been using this mouse on my computer for over a year with no
> > problems.
> > Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > I'm running windows vista home premium.

RSK10580

Re: mouse drivers stopped working after update
http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...ad.php?t=43705

this happened to me and this link fixed the issue!