No solution to Update error 57E?

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
No solution to Update error 57E?
Greetings...

I have been dealing with Windows Update and getting error code 57E now for weeks. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 and though I have viewed what I think is every post on Vistaheads regarding this error, nothing seems to work - the error simply persists. I have shut down popup blockers, and even my virus software and yet nothing I do allows these 5 updates (for Office components) to get installed without producing error code 57E.

What is even more frustrating is that I cannot find anywhere on the Web that translates what this error really means. Seems silly to have error codes with no reference anywhere to tell a user what a given code like this means. At least that would lead someone in some direction - but even on MSDN there is no find on any search for Error Code 57E.

I am ready to give up and would like to know if there is a way to simply "reject" updates. Can I get these off my system? I am convinced they will never run, so what's the point? How does one get them out of Windows update so I can just shutdown without this tiresome message that updates are waiting each time I shutdown.

As well, can anyone suggest a way to get through to Microsoft? Allegedly I have support for Vista, packaged with my new Dell machine, but Dell wont help me, and MS does not seem to have any way to break through the 'clutter' and just ask someone what this is all about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Normally I am an MS and Vista supporter, but this problem is the worst I have dealt with in years - just no way to make it all go away - and no solution to be found!

Thanks!

AndyF
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: No solution to Update error 57E?
You can attempt to update the version of Office that is installed here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

Since you did not post which version of Office, please go here and enter
' error code 57E ' in the ' Help and How-to ' line, and then click
Search:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...CL100605171033

If no worthwhile hits turn up, click the ' Tailor results to the
Microsoft Office products you have installed ' link and enter the
specific Office products installed to refine the search. Hopefully, you
will at least be provided a clue or a link to further assistance after
doing so.
You could also try posting to this Office newsgroup for 'expert'
assistance :

Office Updates [web-based]
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

Office Updates [NNTP]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

AndyF wrote:

> Greetings...
>
> I have been dealing with Windows Update and getting error code 57E now
> for weeks. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 and though I have viewed what
> I think is every post on Vistaheads regarding this error, nothing seems
> to work - the error simply persists. I have shut down popup blockers,
> and even my virus software and yet nothing I do allows these 5 updates
> (for Office components) to get installed without producing error code
> 57E.
>
> What is even more frustrating is that I cannot find anywhere on the Web
> that translates what this error really means. Seems silly to have error
> codes with no reference anywhere to tell a user what a given code like
> this means. At least that would lead someone in some direction - but
> even on MSDN there is no find on any search for Error Code 57E.
>
> I am ready to give up and would like to know if there is a way to
> simply "reject" updates. Can I get these off my system? I am convinced
> they will never run, so what's the point? How does one get them out of
> Windows update so I can just shutdown without this tiresome message that
> updates are waiting each time I shutdown.
>
> As well, can anyone suggest a way to get through to Microsoft?
> Allegedly I have support for Vista, packaged with my new Dell machine,
> but Dell wont help me, and MS does not seem to have any way to break
> through the 'clutter' and just ask someone what this is all about.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Normally I am an MS and Vista
> supporter, but this problem is the worst I have dealt with in years -
> just no way to make it all go away - and no solution to be found!
>
> Thanks!
>
> AndyF

Robert Aldwinckle

"AndyF" <AndyF.35s40h@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> What is even more frustrating is that I cannot find anywhere on the Web
> that translates what this error really means. Seems silly to have error
> codes with no reference anywhere to tell a user what a given code like
> this means. At least that would lead someone in some direction - but
> even on MSDN there is no find on any search for Error Code 57E.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp2">
F:\>set /a c = 0x57E
1406
F:\>net helpmsg %c%

Cannot create a top-level child window.
</cmd_output>

You can probably do that on your OS too... <eg>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply...
MowGreen,

Thanks very much for the reply and I am sorry I neglected to list that I am running Office 2003. I used a couple of your links and searched on 'Error Code 57E' but nothing relating to 57E comes up - just stuff related to 'Error' and 'Code'. But I will follow your further suggestions and see if I can crack this nut because I spoke with a co-worker today and would'nt you know it - he is having the same problem! Has to be some good reason and some work-around out there. Just wish I had some idea of what I am dealing with - ya know, some direction to go in.

None the less, I will persevere and if I learn anything I will post it on VistaHeads as it seems a number of people run into this.

Again, many thanks to you for the reply!

AndyF

Re: No solution to Update error 57E?
You certainly have a little company:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...afe=off&num=20

Might be worth a go:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8a2cc7c0599922
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AndyF wrote:
> MowGreen,
>
> Thanks very much for the reply and I am sorry I neglected to list that
> I am running Office 2003. I used a couple of your links and searched on
> 'Error Code 57E' but nothing relating to 57E comes up - just stuff
> related to 'Error' and 'Code'. But I will follow your further
> suggestions and see if I can crack this nut because I spoke with a
> co-worker today and would'nt you know it - he is having the same
> problem! Has to be some good reason and some work-around out there.
> Just wish I had some idea of what I am dealing with - ya know, some
> direction to go in.
>
> None the less, I will persevere and if I learn anything I will post it
> on VistaHeads as it seems a number of people run into this.
>
> Again, many thanks to you for the reply!
>
> AndyF

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks PA Bear...
PA Bear...

Thanks for the info - I appreciate your time and reply. I saw an earlier post of yours in which you suggest downloading the 2003 SP3 update and then it says "insert your 2007 CD" and I presumed that was a typo - that you meant insert your 2003 CD...

I tried that pathway and found that I already had the SP3 update installed but figured maybe a repair and then another try at these 5 2003 Security updates might do the trick. Unfortunately, they didnt... Got the same thing - this pain in the neck 57E error.

Still, your links are helpful and ya, I guess I am not alone - it kind of gives me a bit of hope and well, a sort of determination that eventually someone is going to have the answer to this - so I will stick with it and see what other posts come along. Surely someone somewhere knows what this is all about.

Thanks again for the assist - this 57E will be a memorable one, but I have renewed confidence that eventually someone is going to have the solution!

AndyF

pinekatz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
[...]

Hi Andy
I have just joined Vistaheads hoping someone would have the answer to exactly the problem you have.
You have my sympathy and will be watching this thread with great interest.
pinekatz

AndyF is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
the more the merrier, er, well...
pinekatz,

Ah, yet another victim of error code 57E... Sorry to hear that, but lets all stick together and see what comes up in the coming weeks about this. As I said in a post to Evadiva a few minutes ago, I am arguing with Dell right now to support what they sold me so maybe I can break through and find out what this is exactly. I may even break down and pay for MS support at some point because well, this is just driving me crazy. I am now up to 8 updates that won't install, with this error a result.

If anyone comes up with the magic answer, lets use the web to help our growing 'support group'.

Hang in there - surely we have to resolve this at some point (or hurl Vista out the Windows ((no pun intended...))

- AndyF

pinekatz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update error 57e
Hi
AndyF

Reference Code 57e

I have manually loaded all my windows updates as follows:

In “Windows Update” Window
Click on “View Update History”
Double-click on one of your failed updates.
Click on link under “More Information:”
This will take you to the Microsoft Download Centre and to the page with your required download.
Click on “Download”
Click on “Run”
Do you want to install? “Yes”
Accept Agreement? “Yes”

Now the crunch!!

During installation you should get error Code 1406 : CLSID\{Fo…..}
Click “Ignore”
Error 1406 again?
Click “Ignore” again

Update should now install completely.

I am now working on fixing Code 1406 which has Resolutions on www.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

I believe the real villain is not 57e but 1406.

Cheers
pinekatz

pinekatz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0