ati update available and broke my computer!

josh

ati update available and broke my computer!
i updated my laptop to vista buisness...everthing was workin fine until i
downloaded an update
: ATI Technologies Inc. - Video - ATI Radeon Xpress Series

Installation date: ‎1/‎6/‎2008 8:39 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

ATI Technologies Inc. Video software update released in September, 2007

everytime my laptop starts the screen turns blue and fuzzy and
restarts...anybody have any ideas? would be great
thanks
josh
realcestmoi

Re: ati update available and broke my computer!
Hi there,

Taking OPTIONAL drivers from windows update for non Microsoft hardware is
not reccomanded.

If your hardware works fine: just leave it be working fine.

If an update is needed because the harware does not funtion well ( if it
ain't brokeot try to "FIX" it) than go to the manufactures website for an
updated driver. www.ati.com

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"josh" <josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i updated my laptop to vista buisness...everthing was workin fine until i
> downloaded an update
> : ATI Technologies Inc. - Video - ATI Radeon Xpress Series
>
> Installation date: ?1/?6/?2008 8:39 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> ATI Technologies Inc. Video software update released in September, 2007
>
> everytime my laptop starts the screen turns blue and fuzzy and
> restarts...anybody have any ideas? would be great
> thanks
> josh

realcestmoi

Re: ati update available and broke my computer!
Hi there,

Try booting last known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or use
system restore in safe mode prior to a date when installing the OPTIONAL
driver which caused the problem , or repair your windows installation or use
the image backup you hopefully made to restore from.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"josh" <josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i updated my laptop to vista buisness...everthing was workin fine until i
> downloaded an update
> : ATI Technologies Inc. - Video - ATI Radeon Xpress Series
>
> Installation date: ?1/?6/?2008 8:39 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Optional
>
> ATI Technologies Inc. Video software update released in September, 2007
>
> everytime my laptop starts the screen turns blue and fuzzy and
> restarts...anybody have any ideas? would be great
> thanks
> josh

cosmictwix is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help!
I too have this same problem. I'm pretty sure its this update, because I've tried just about everything else. I have a Gateway with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, AMD Phenom 9600, and the ATI Radeon HD 2400XT graphics card. My display driver stops working frequently. I don't have any restore points. I just got the computer and installed the updates. I would uninstall the optional update, but I can't find the number, and it won't give a description.
TaurArian

Re: ati update available and broke my computer!
Is this relevant?
A device driver is not installed, or a hardware device does not function correctly after
you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948187

Otherwise check -which updates are installed on your computer by
Start button || Control Panel || Programs
Under Programs and Features - click View installed updates.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org