Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . . .

Stan

Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . . .
Greetings guys,

I periodically check Windows Update and try to keep my XP Pro box up-to-date.
Yesterday, I found the following update;

Zoom - Sound - Zoom Virtual Audio Device
Zoom Sound software update released in September, 2007

It downloaded and installed correctly (according to Windows Update)
But . . .
It did not work.
I think it confused my D-Link DPH-50U (Skype USB to Phone interface box) as
some kind of Zoom product.
Now, I have this doofuss Zoom driver loaded, and I can’t use my D-Link Phone!
I can locate the erroneous Zoom item in the Device Manager, and I can remove
and/or disable it.
Then, I try to reload the D-Link DPH-50U driver – as obtained from the
D-Link site.
The installation seems to proceed and run correctly, but in the end, a new
USB device is found, and Windows automatically reloads the Zoom device –
resulting in the situation returning right back to where it was – not working.
One of the things I need to do is to select “D-Link virtual device” in
Skype’s options panel, but that option is not available. Instead, I see the
“Zoom virtual device” but selection of this results in a D-Link phone that
does not work.
What should I do?
Help!

--
Thanks!
- Stan
Shenan Stanley

Re: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . . .
Stan wrote:
> Greetings guys,
>
> I periodically check Windows Update and try to keep my XP Pro box
> up-to-date. Yesterday, I found the following update;
>
> Zoom - Sound - Zoom Virtual Audio Device
> Zoom Sound software update released in September, 2007
>
> It downloaded and installed correctly (according to Windows Update)
> But . . .
> It did not work.
> I think it confused my D-Link DPH-50U (Skype USB to Phone interface
> box) as some kind of Zoom product.
> Now, I have this doofuss Zoom driver loaded, and I can't use my
> D-Link Phone! I can locate the erroneous Zoom item in the Device
> Manager, and I can remove and/or disable it.
> Then, I try to reload the D-Link DPH-50U driver - as obtained from
> the
> D-Link site.
> The installation seems to proceed and run correctly, but in the
> end, a new USB device is found, and Windows automatically reloads
> the Zoom device - resulting in the situation returning right back
> to where it was - not working. One of the things I need to do is to
> select "D-Link virtual device" in Skype's options panel, but that
> option is not available. Instead, I see the "Zoom virtual device"
> but selection of this results in a D-Link phone that does not work.
> What should I do?

System Restore...
And then - always get the hardware related drivers from the actual hardware
manufacturer for each product... not Microsoft (unless it happens to be a
Microsoft piece of hardware...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Stan

Re: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . .
Hello and thank you for the reply.

Actually, I did try to do a restore, but got a message that said something
like “Sorry, Windows cannot complete this restore.” I am not sure what that
is all about, and I might add, that this is a relatively fresh install and
everything loaded well, and all was running just fine until I did that “Zoom”
update.
One more bit of info for you . . . At the time I did the Update; it was the
second of two Updates. The first seemed to install as normal and apparently
worked okay. I went to look in the Windows Update screen, at my History of
Updates, and was surprised to see that the last two updates are the same
thing. Both are the Zoom Update. But the dates are funny. One is a few days
ago, and the other on the day of the problem. I am not sure what to make of
all this.
But my main point, I guess, is that it seems to be the result of some kind
of bug in the Windows Update detection mechanism. I can’t imagine that I will
be the only person to fall victim to this error, so I am wondering what
procedure is in play that will allow me to notify the Windows Update people
so that they may look into the matter. Why would I get a Zoom Update if I do
not have any Zoom products? Perhaps, the chip-set in the D-Link Phone
interface is the same as one used in a Zoom product. I don’t know, but it
seems only proper that this situation should be looked into by the Update
team.

Do you have any more thoughts or suggestions?

--
Thanks!
- Stan

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Stan wrote:
> > Greetings guys,
> >
> > I periodically check Windows Update and try to keep my XP Pro box
> > up-to-date. Yesterday, I found the following update;
> >
> > Zoom - Sound - Zoom Virtual Audio Device
> > Zoom Sound software update released in September, 2007
> >
> > It downloaded and installed correctly (according to Windows Update)
> > But . . .
> > It did not work.
> > I think it confused my D-Link DPH-50U (Skype USB to Phone interface
> > box) as some kind of Zoom product.
> > Now, I have this doofuss Zoom driver loaded, and I can't use my
> > D-Link Phone! I can locate the erroneous Zoom item in the Device
> > Manager, and I can remove and/or disable it.
> > Then, I try to reload the D-Link DPH-50U driver - as obtained from
> > the
> > D-Link site.
> > The installation seems to proceed and run correctly, but in the
> > end, a new USB device is found, and Windows automatically reloads
> > the Zoom device - resulting in the situation returning right back
> > to where it was - not working. One of the things I need to do is to
> > select "D-Link virtual device" in Skype's options panel, but that
> > option is not available. Instead, I see the "Zoom virtual device"
> > but selection of this results in a D-Link phone that does not work.
> > What should I do?

> System Restore...
> And then - always get the hardware related drivers from the actual hardware
> manufacturer for each product... not Microsoft (unless it happens to be a
> Microsoft piece of hardware...)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Stan

RE: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . . .
Desperate times require desperate measures . . .
.. . . Okay, so I decided to get to the bottom of my false "Zoom Update".

Jesus H. (freak'n) Christ, his is what I did:
1) Opened the log file: "C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log and had a look at it.
I Identified the location of the download (well, actually both downloads –
since for some ungodly reason, this download had been downloaded twice!) I
found the two downloads in folders located in; C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
2) I renamed the two download files with a dash "Zoom" suffix. (blablabla –
Zoom)
3) I opened the Device Manager and opened the Properties of the Zoom audio
device (Remember, my system has no such device, but nonetheless, it shows up)
I looked at the Driver details, and recoded the names and location of all the
driver files.
4) I opened the folder containing the erroneous drivers; C:\WINDOWS\system32
5) I deleted each of the erroneous files. Note: this did not go as smoothly
as I would have liked. Most of the files would disappear, and suddenly
reappear, but if I checked the "Recycling Bin", I did see that the files had
been removed.
6) I noted that inside the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder, was another folder
called: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups"
7) I surmised that the two "ReinstalBackups" that contained my erroneous
driver collection were there as a result of the two "Zoom" driver updates. –
I deleted both of them
8) I uninstalled the Zoom device in the "Device Manager", and went back and
repeated the above process (figuring that if the Zoom was not now loaded,
more of the files would forget their "lock".
9) I rebooted the computer
10) Once Windows was running, it presented me with a "Found New Hardware
Wizard" – I elected to choose my own driver location, and navigated to the
current download of the driver for the D-Link DPH-50U (after first checking
online that it was indeed the current D-Link driver). The driver was accepted
and loaded without incident. After loading, my D-Link DPH-50U Phone Interface
box was back and working with Skype! I could again use my telephone.
11) I noticed that a reload was being called for. So, I restarted my
computer (Windows XP Pro).
12) I checked, and after the restart, the D-Link was still back and working.
13) I checked Windows Update. - Share enough, the "Zoom Driver" was once
again being offered as an update.
14) I rejected the update, and this time marked the checkbox "Don't show
this update again"
15) As of now, all seems well. Incidentally, the two folders that I had
earlier renamed with the dash “Zoom” suffix were both found to have
disappeared! No loss.

After thoughts:
I must tell you all that I do not feel good about what I did. (For one
thing, I didn’t really know what I was doing.) I don’t like digging into the
WINDOWS directory, and I like even less having to manually modify the
registry (which, fortunately, this time I did not have to do). But in the
future, I will always keep in mind what I have done, and be just a little
leery of some yet-to-be-discovered problem cropping up as a result of all my
poling around inside the WINDOWS directory.
And one last thought: What if the update was indeed correct? What if it was
a proper update and I just didn’t know how to configure it correctly? Well,
to that I must say that I did spend quite a bit of time trying to make it
work, I looked at my Sound Options, the Skype options, and searched the web
extensively for answers. Nothing convinced me that the Zoom Update was
proper. As of now, I am content to leave matters as they are, but I will be
monitoring this newsgroup, and researching the web from periodically to see
if anyone else has encountered this problem and what solutions they found.
When it absolutely, positive must be done, shotgun the drivers and start over!

--
Thanks!
- Stan

"Stan" wrote:

> Greetings guys,
>
> I periodically check Windows Update and try to keep my XP Pro box up-to-date.
> Yesterday, I found the following update;
>
> Zoom - Sound - Zoom Virtual Audio Device
> Zoom Sound software update released in September, 2007
>
> It downloaded and installed correctly (according to Windows Update)
> But . . .
> It did not work.
> I think it confused my D-Link DPH-50U (Skype USB to Phone interface box) as
> some kind of Zoom product.
> Now, I have this doofuss Zoom driver loaded, and I can’t use my D-Link Phone!
> I can locate the erroneous Zoom item in the Device Manager, and I can remove
> and/or disable it.
> Then, I try to reload the D-Link DPH-50U driver – as obtained from the
> D-Link site.
> The installation seems to proceed and run correctly, but in the end, a new
> USB device is found, and Windows automatically reloads the Zoom device –
> resulting in the situation returning right back to where it was – not working.
> One of the things I need to do is to select “D-Link virtual device” in
> Skype’s options panel, but that option is not available. Instead, I see the
> “Zoom virtual device” but selection of this results in a D-Link phone that
> does not work.
> What should I do?
> Help!
>
> --
> Thanks!
> - Stan

pankotskii

RE: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . .

Stan!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I had EXACT the same issue with
the same D-Link adapter but rather with Windows Vista than XP. I was soooo
frustrated since my phone stoped working after that Zoom Virtual driver
updated got installed. My steps where a little bit different because I
couldn't locate the files right away since that stupid driver was not
installed completely. Anyways, I finally was able to delete it in Registry.
Thank you a lot for your help!!
panchemica@gmail.com

Re: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . .
Guys, your way too complex, I encountered same, and have to device
manager to uninstall ZOOOOM, then the windows will find a new drive
and will let you choose where the driver is, change the correct path.
Finally all recovered, I am very happy now.
xtr me13

Same problem - with the ZOOM Update!
Hi Stan,

I'm having the same problem as you had with the zoom update. God! I can't believe I installed that stupid optional update!

I tried the steps listed by you, but haven't been successful. There were quite a few differences in the way things were for me -
1) My device manager does not list the zoom audio device at all! So I could not do steps 2 & 3 listed by you.
Its still there despite all my attempts (listed below). Whenever I try the D-link software/driver installation - The Windows driver recognition thing recognizes it as zoom audio driver instead of the D-link DPH 50U voip adapter that i used to get in the past. So the D-Link monitor is red - stating that "D-link device not present" even though it is still connected to the computer.
2) I tried uninstalling the entire update that was listed in the list of installed updates and then restarted my computer hoping the zoom thing would have disappeared altogether, but unfortunately its still there.
3) I then deleted the two folders that you mentioned you found in C:\Windows\software distribution
4) I found a number of files in the system32 folder that were from the same date and time as the update was installed so I tried deleting them, some of them were under the - C:/windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository - but they will not get deleted - no matter what I try.

So far the problem remains unsolved, so please help me out.

Thanks

LG

Re: Same problem - with the ZOOM Update!

xtr me13 wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> I'm having the same problem as you had with the zoom update. God! I can't
> believe I installed that stupid optional update!
>
> I tried the steps listed by you, but haven't been successful. There were
> quite a few differences in the way things were for me - 1) My device
> manager does not list the zoom audio device at all! So I could not do
> steps
> 2 & 3 listed by you.
> Its still there despite all my attempts (listed below). Whenever I try the
> D-link software/driver installation - The Windows driver recognition thing
> recognizes it as zoom audio driver instead of the D-link DPH 50U voip
> adapter that i used to get in the past. So the D-Link monitor is red -
> stating that "D-link device not present" even though it is still connected
> to the computer. 2) I tried uninstalling the entire update that was listed
> in the list of installed updates and then restarted my computer hoping the
> zoom thing would have disappeared altogether, but unfortunately its still
> there. 3) I then deleted the two folders that you mentioned you found in
> C:\Windows\software distribution 4) I found a number of files in the
> system32 folder that were from the same date and time as the update was
> installed so I tried deleting them, some of them were under the -
> C:/windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository - but they will not get
> deleted - no matter what I try.
>
> So far the problem remains unsolved, so please help me out.
>
> Thanks
>
> LG

clifft is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . . .
In case anyone is still dealing with this, I had the same problem but found a relatively simple solution. I am XP but may work for Vista.

1. Install the D-Link software all the way through even though this results in installing the Zoom Virtual Audio Device driver.
2. Go to the Device Manager, R-click this driver and choose Update.
3. Choose Install from a specific location.
4. Choose Don't search.
5. You should see the incorrect Zoom driver listed. Choose Have disk.
6. Browse to the location of the correct driver on the D-Link software disk, such as x:\setup.
7. You should now see the correct driver, D-link Virtual Audio Device. Select and install this driver.

That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
[...]

The Following User Says Thank You to clifft For This Useful Post:

Chicken or Beef is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Received possible false hardware update at Windows Update . . .
Thanks clifft. I have spent the last 24 hours trying to figure out this issue. My DPH-50 worked great and then suddenly it stopped working. I did exactly what you posted and total success!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifft View Post