RE: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update

jpurpuro

RE: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update
Tom, I started encountering the exact same problem as you did in December
2007. It only happens on my desktop computer. The laptop I have hooked to
the same cable modem network updates without any problems. And, I have not
disabled my McAfee anti-virus software on the laptop. I believe this problem
stems from an automatic (not requested) download of Microsoft Compression
Client 1.0 for Windows XP or Microsoft Silverlight, neither of which I
requested to download or install. I've unistalled Microsoft Silverlight and
still have the update problem. When I tried to remove Microsoft Compression
Client, it tells me that numerous programs may not run properly (several
Microsoft hotfixes and security updates manually downloaded), and many other
programs. So, I haven't removed that program. But, my laptop has Microsoft
Compression Client 1.0 installed and updates without any problems. My OS is
XP Home SP2. The assistance I received from Microsoft Support recommended
that I disable realtime viruse checking (did that, same results), then to
uninstall my ant-virus program (no way I'm doing that). So, I'll just
manually download and install new updates.

"Tom Hall" wrote:

> OS: XP Pro SP2.
>
> The first indication of a problem came from my Event Log:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Windows Update Agent
> Event Category: Installation
> Event ID: 20
> Date: 6/22/2007
> Time: 5:23:50 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: V-C889AAF937B64
> Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
> error 0x80070020: Automatic Updates.

> Data:
> 0000: 57 69 6e 33 32 48 52 65 Win32HRe
> 0008: 73 75 6c 74 3d 30 78 38 sult=0x8
> 0010: 30 30 37 30 30 32 30 20 0070020
> 0018: 55 70 64 61 74 65 49 44 UpdateID
> 0020: 3d 7b 44 36 37 36 36 31 ={D67661
> 0028: 45 42 2d 32 34 32 33 2d EB-2423-
> 0030: 34 35 31 44 2d 42 46 35 451D-BF5
> 0038: 44 2d 31 33 31 39 39 45 D-13199E
> 0040: 33 37 44 46 32 38 7d 20 37DF28}
> 0048: 52 65 76 69 73 69 6f 6e Revision
> 0050: 4e 75 6d 62 65 72 3d 30 Number=0
> 0058: 20 00 .
>
> When I went to the Windows Update site, I was first told "Update Windows to
> work with this website". I should point out at this stage that I routinely
> apply updates by visiting the site every patch Tuesday. This month's
> patches were installed without any apparent errors.
>
> On this first page, there's a button labeled "Update Windows". When I click
> on it, there's apparent activity of downloading and then copying files.
>
> After a few seconds, another web page appears with the following content:
>

> [Error number: 0x80070020]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> problem.
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
>
> Find Solutions
>
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
>
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
>

> I've googled the error code but so far haven't been able to find anything
> useful. I'm assuming this error isn't just going to go away on its own. One
> search result mentioned turning off realtime virus checking to see if that
> solved the problem; it didn't. (AVG Pro is what I use here).
>
> The Windows Update site is already in my Trusted Sites list, which was
> another suggestion I found.
>
> I would appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide.
>

> Tom
>
> --
> remove .spoo to reply by email

Robert Aldwinckle

"jpurpuro" <jpurpuro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [Subject: RE: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update]

<cmd_output>
F:\>net helpmsg 32

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
</cmd_output>

While file? What other process?

If you want to diagnose this search for these details in the diagnostics
the update produces. Activate verbose logging if necessary.
Supplement the diagnostics using ProcMon if necessary.

> The assistance I received from Microsoft Support recommended
> that I disable realtime viruse checking (did that, same results), then to
> uninstall my ant-virus program (no way I'm doing that).

Why? It is quite likely that a security package could mistake your update
attempt as a Trojan. There have been many instances where using a
security package's "disable" command has been found to be insufficient
to prevent its interfering effects on the update. Hence, the user is advised
to uninstall it in order to avoid that interference and get the update installed cleanly.
Note that you only need to uninstall the interferer to do the update's install phase.
E.g. you could do the download, disconnect completely from the Internet,
uninstall the security package, install the update, do a reboot if required
(still without the security package and still staying disconnected from the network)
and only then reinstall your security package.

Of course if your alternative diagnosis discovers that something else
is causing the interference implied by the error code, then you will have to
make sure that that process is stopped too. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> [...]
>> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
>> problem.
>> For self-help options:
>>
>> Frequently Asked Questions
>>
>> Find Solutions
>>
>> Windows Update Newsgroup
>> For assisted support options:
>>
>> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
>>

>> I've googled the error code but so far haven't been able to find anything
>> useful. I'm assuming this error isn't just going to go away on its own. One
>> search result mentioned turning off realtime virus checking to see if that
>> solved the problem; it didn't. (AVG Pro is what I use here).
>>
>> The Windows Update site is already in my Trusted Sites list, which was
>> another suggestion I found.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide.

Robert, thanks for your advice and assistance. I have done what you
suggested and still get the same error results. With all of the people
having the same problem, isn't it possible that this is a Microsoft update
problem and not a user problem. My automatic updates was working fine until
December. I attempted to load the latest Windows update software and get the
same error. I'll just manually download updates.

JJP

> Robert, thanks for your advice and assistance. I have done what you
> suggested and still get the same error results.

> With all of the people having the same problem,

(which in reality seems to be relatively few...)

> isn't it possible that this is a Microsoft update
> problem and not a user problem.

Sure, but *you* (and your collective) have the details about it.
If you can't share them and nobody who could diagnose
the symptom doesn't get it, a "solution" is impossible.

> My automatic updates was working fine until
> December. I attempted to load the latest Windows update software and get the
> same error. I'll just manually download updates.

Your choice.

Good luck

Robert
---