Partitioned HD

Valerie

Partitioned HD
I recently had to reinstall windows (XP Home SP2). I partitioned my HD to
allow for Windows to be installed on a small portion of the parition. I would
like to know if there is a way to select the location in which I want Windows
Updates to be installed. If I keep installing them on the same partition that
Windows is now on I will run out of space, as some of these updates are very
large.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Partitioned HD
Valerie wrote:
> I recently had to reinstall windows (XP Home SP2). I partitioned my
> HD to allow for Windows to be installed on a small portion of the
> parition. I would like to know if there is a way to select the
> location in which I want Windows Updates to be installed. If I keep
> installing them on the same partition that Windows is now on I will
> run out of space, as some of these updates are very large.

You should have made your small partition 20+GB in my opinion. Windows
updates are not just new files the OS accesses - more often than not - they
replace system files as well as do other things to the system partition.
Never think that the 300MB download you are getting will necessarily add
300MB to your installation - as it will more likely replace files that
already exist.

However - my advice remains the same - your Windows XP partition should be
20+GB - if you don't plan on installing other applications on there, etc.
Otherwise larger.

Is there some reason you made a small partition for just the Windows OS?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Valerie

Re: Partitioned HD

> You should have made your small partition 20+GB in my opinion. Windows
> updates are not just new files the OS accesses - more often than not - they
> replace system files as well as do other things to the system partition.
> Never think that the 300MB download you are getting will necessarily add
> 300MB to your installation - as it will more likely replace files that
> already exist.
>
> However - my advice remains the same - your Windows XP partition should be
> 20+GB - if you don't plan on installing other applications on there, etc.
> Otherwise larger.
>
> Is there some reason you made a small partition for just the Windows OS?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I made the partition the size I did on the advice of a Dell technician.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Partitioned HD

Valerie wrote:
> I made the partition the size I did on the advice of a Dell
> technician.

The technician was incorrect if they told you anything below 15GB minimum.

Depending on the size of youur hard disk drive and what *your* plans are for
the machine - partitioning into more than just a single partition may be
unnecessary.

- What are your plans for the machine?
- How large is the partition you created for the Windows installation?
- How large is the hard disk drive?
- Did the Dell technician say *why* they were having you partition (was it
something about, "this way if you have to install Windows XP - all your
programs/data will be on another partition so you won't have to worry about
that..."?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Valerie wrote:
> > I recently had to reinstall windows (XP Home SP2). I partitioned my
> > HD to allow for Windows to be installed on a small portion of the
> > parition. I would like to know if there is a way to select the
> > location in which I want Windows Updates to be installed. If I keep
> > installing them on the same partition that Windows is now on I will
> > run out of space, as some of these updates are very large.

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > You should have made your small partition 20+GB in my opinion.
> > Windows updates are not just new files the OS accesses - more often
> > than not - they replace system files as well as do other things to
> > the system partition. Never think that the 300MB download you are
> > getting will necessarily add 300MB to your installation - as it
> > will more likely replace files that already exist.
> >
> > However - my advice remains the same - your Windows XP partition
> > should be 20+GB - if you don't plan on installing other
> > applications on there, etc. Otherwise larger.
> >
> > Is there some reason you made a small partition for just the
> > Windows OS?

> Valerie wrote:
> > I made the partition the size I did on the advice of a Dell
> > technician.

> The technician was incorrect if they told you anything below 15GB minimum.
>
> Depending on the size of youur hard disk drive and what *your* plans are for
> the machine - partitioning into more than just a single partition may be
> unnecessary.
>
> - What are your plans for the machine?
> - How large is the partition you created for the Windows installation?
> - How large is the hard disk drive?
> - Did the Dell technician say *why* they were having you partition (was it
> something about, "this way if you have to install Windows XP - all your
> programs/data will be on another partition so you won't have to worry about
> that..."?)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

What are your plans for the machine? Basic home use
How large is the partition you created for the Windows installation? 5GB
How large is the hard disk drive? 80 GB
Did the Dell technician say *why* they were having you partition (was it
something about, "this way if you have to install Windows XP - all your
programs/data will be on another partition so you won't have to worry about
that..."?)
In a nutshell they told me that I should install the OS on one partition and
everything else on the other partition so any programs I install should not
*interfere* with the Windows files.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Partitioned HD

Valerie wrote:
>> What are your plans for the machine?

> Basic home use
>
>> How large is the partition you created for the Windows
>> installation?

> 5GB
>
>> How large is the hard disk drive?

> 80 GB
>
>> Did the Dell technician say *why* they were having you partition
>> (was it something about, "this way if you have to install Windows
>> XP - all your programs/data will be on another partition so you
>> won't have to worry about that..."?)

> In a nutshell they told me that I should install the OS on one
> partition and everything else on the other partition so any
> programs I install should not *interfere* with the Windows files.

Did the Dell Technician tell you to make a 5GB partition, or just to make
separate partitions?

In my opinion, you should format and install it fresh. Making a partition
or not is up to you. However - what the Dell Technician told you 'in a
nutshell' was incorrect. If you were led to believe that having your
programs installed on a separate partition would make it so you could
re-install Windows XP and not have to re-install your applications -
incorrect 90+% of the time. If you were led to believe that nothing but the
Windows XP System files were going on that EXTREMELY small partition -
incorrect ALL the time (unless you only ever install Windows XP.)

5GB will force you to take action in short order - bite the bullet now.
Format and start afresh - if you must make a partition for whatever reason -
I suggest 20+GB for the OS. Personally - with an 80GB drive and your given
purpose - I would not bother making a partition - you gain nothing.

I do not recommend sticking with the size of that partition as is...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Valerie

Re: Partitioned HD
Thank you for your advice. Looks like I will be spending most of my Sunday
reformatting and reinstalling. I will think twice about taking the advice of
Dell again before researching their advice first.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> or not is up to you. However - what the Dell Technician told you 'in a
> nutshell' was incorrect. If you were led to believe that having your
> programs installed on a separate partition would make it so you could
> re-install Windows XP and not have to re-install your applications -
> incorrect 90+% of the time. If you were led to believe that nothing but the
> Windows XP System files were going on that EXTREMELY small partition -
> incorrect ALL the time (unless you only ever install Windows XP.)
>
> 5GB will force you to take action in short order - bite the bullet now.
> Format and start afresh - if you must make a partition for whatever reason -
> I suggest 20+GB for the OS. Personally - with an 80GB drive and your given
> purpose - I would not bother making a partition - you gain nothing.
>
> I do not recommend sticking with the size of that partition as is...

realcestmoi

Re: Partitioned HD
Hi there,

Partition 50% -50% to be sure.

Make your documentes folder on the second partition and also move the
outlook ( Express) store folder there, that way you gain having your
documents and emails a little safer when you have to make a reinstall, this
is assuming your hard disk will not crash. So backing up to other media as
well is prefered. Option is palcing a second hard drive which are quite
cheap at the moment.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"Valerie" <Valerie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> nutshell' was incorrect. If you were led to believe that having your
>> programs installed on a separate partition would make it so you could
>> re-install Windows XP and not have to re-install your applications -
>> incorrect 90+% of the time. If you were led to believe that nothing but
>> the
>> Windows XP System files were going on that EXTREMELY small partition -
>> incorrect ALL the time (unless you only ever install Windows XP.)
>>
>> 5GB will force you to take action in short order - bite the bullet now.
>> Format and start afresh - if you must make a partition for whatever
>> reason -
>> I suggest 20+GB for the OS. Personally - with an 80GB drive and your
>> given
>> purpose - I would not bother making a partition - you gain nothing.
>>
>> I do not recommend sticking with the size of that partition as is...

ato_zee@hotmail.com

Re: Partitioned HD

> > > Basic home use

> > > 5GB

> > > 80 GB

What modern PC comes with 80GB as standard?
Sure it's not an 80GB partition of a larger drive?
If your operating system is really on a 5GB partition
of an 80GB drive, then I'd be thinking of adding a
250GB data drive, then reformatting the 80GB
as a single partition, and reinstalling XP on it.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Partitioned HD
ato_zee wrote:
> What modern PC comes with 80GB as standard?
> Sure it's not an 80GB partition of a larger drive?
> If your operating system is really on a 5GB partition
> of an 80GB drive, then I'd be thinking of adding a
> 250GB data drive, then reformatting the 80GB
> as a single partition, and reinstalling XP on it.

First - not everyone can afford 'new' and thus may buy refurbished or get a
hand-me-down.

Second - many brand new PCs from the large third-tier vendors (Dell, IBM,
HP, Gateway, etc) have base systems starting with 80GB hard disk drives -
although it is starting to fade now to the 160GB with 250GB being the
nearly-no-cost upgrade option.

Given what the OP has given in the way of information (the use of the
machine is for basic home use) - while I agree with the single 80GB
partition - I see no need for a 250GB hard disk drive unless the OP will be
storing hi-resolution video, large databases, quite the large music
collection or hi-res saved in TIFF format photos...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP