Update for Vista KB940510 Problem/Questions

SBTaylor

Update for Vista KB940510 Problem/Questions
I installed this update for Win. Vista last night. When I turned on the
computer this morning, it wouldn't start and did a Startup Repair. Did that
update mess up the computer forever? I'm almost afraid to turn it off now!
And I read where the update is a "one time check" for "Grace Timer" and "OEM
activation exploits." Okay, I'm dumb so tell me what in the world that means
in English please!!! This is a Dell computer that is only a few months old
and had Windows Vista Home Edition preinstalled on it. Anyone who can help
me, please do so! Thanks! Susan
SBTaylor

RE: Update for Vista KB940510 Problem/Questions
Not a reply but an addition to my original note. Now under the Updates
section both this update and a windows defender update which were installed
yesterday show up as needing to be installed yet again. I have hid them now,
but wonder what in the long run to do! Help! Thanks!

"SBTaylor" wrote:

> I installed this update for Win. Vista last night. When I turned on the
> computer this morning, it wouldn't start and did a Startup Repair. Did that
> update mess up the computer forever? I'm almost afraid to turn it off now!
> And I read where the update is a "one time check" for "Grace Timer" and "OEM
> activation exploits." Okay, I'm dumb so tell me what in the world that means
> in English please!!! This is a Dell computer that is only a few months old
> and had Windows Vista Home Edition preinstalled on it. Anyone who can help
> me, please do so! Thanks! Susan

Rental Works

RE: Update for Vista KB940510 Problem/Questions
Hi Susan,

I have had similar issues with my Dell and this update that performs the
'one time check' for OEM activation exploits. Apparently - and I guess we
have to take Microsoft's word on this because it's so amazing - there are
some naughty people out there who **gasp** use pirate copies of software!!
And in doing this they can sometimes open your computer up to nasties because
they are undermining the security system in Vista (does it have one??) or
some such.

OK, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek and get serious. The term 'OEM'
means 'Original Equipment Manufacturers' - companies like Dell - who are only
licensed to sell Vista with their hardware (it's one of the reasons you don't
get a CDROM with the O/S on it which think sucks big time).

However, this OEM sofware is leeking out on its own as 'cheap' copies of
Vista from disreputable suppliers so the update checks that you have a legit
version of Vista installed. If you do, it's supposed to die a graceful death
and disappear, leaving no trace. If you don't, it offers ways to buy a legit
version...then what happens I don't know as I have a legit copy, but I would
expect you'd be getting some stern warnings about "illegal Vista running" and
it might even give you a count before it won't allow you to do anything
useful with your computer.

Now, you should be able to use the System Restore tool to back out of the
update and get back to a previous working version of Vista. If you know
enough to try it it's pretty harmless to try. Otherwise ask someone who
knows...it's not actually hard to do. Then you can see whether it's the
update of Vista or (unlikely) some other update for a driver or some such.

Also, Windows Defender is a good little app that helps secure your system
against malicious software so it's worth letting it run.

Cheers, Rental
"SBTaylor" wrote:

> I installed this update for Win. Vista last night. When I turned on the
> computer this morning, it wouldn't start and did a Startup Repair. Did that
> update mess up the computer forever? I'm almost afraid to turn it off now!
> And I read where the update is a "one time check" for "Grace Timer" and "OEM
> activation exploits." Okay, I'm dumb so tell me what in the world that means
> in English please!!! This is a Dell computer that is only a few months old
> and had Windows Vista Home Edition preinstalled on it. Anyone who can help
> me, please do so! Thanks! Susan

Rental Works

RE: Update for Vista KB940510 Problem/Questions
Whoops, forgot to add the the Windows Defender updates will be regular - even
every day - as it downloads the definition files for viruses and the like and
they are updated as often as new threats are identified and a solution
figured out.

"SBTaylor" wrote:

> Not a reply but an addition to my original note. Now under the Updates
> section both this update and a windows defender update which were installed
> yesterday show up as needing to be installed yet again. I have hid them now,
> but wonder what in the long run to do! Help! Thanks!
>
> "SBTaylor" wrote:
>
> > I installed this update for Win. Vista last night. When I turned on the
> > computer this morning, it wouldn't start and did a Startup Repair. Did that
> > update mess up the computer forever? I'm almost afraid to turn it off now!
> > And I read where the update is a "one time check" for "Grace Timer" and "OEM
> > activation exploits." Okay, I'm dumb so tell me what in the world that means
> > in English please!!! This is a Dell computer that is only a few months old
> > and had Windows Vista Home Edition preinstalled on it. Anyone who can help
> > me, please do so! Thanks! Susan

dsottile

RE: Update for Vista KB940510 Problem/Questions
So I applied the update this morning & my PC rebooted and now I no longer
have keyboard and mouse. I can remote into it but the CPU is pegged at 100%
by the system. Trying to figure out how to unistall the patch now...

MadMigMR2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsottile View Post
So I applied the update this morning & my PC rebooted and now I no longer
have keyboard and mouse. I can remote into it but the CPU is pegged at 100%
by the system. Trying to figure out how to unistall the patch now...

i'm not sure if it's related or not but i'm also with the same issues

no keyboard